Thread: Choprock Approach Question

Choprock Approach Question

Last May, while camping at Fence Canyon, I met a guy whose group was doing Choprock, and he had done it many times before. He told me that he approached the canyon in the following way. After ascending the old cattle trail in lower Choprock, he would stay just on top of the wingate and head up canyon more or less on the rim, staying just a couple hundred feet above the bottom of the canyon, instead of heading up to the top of the chop/neon ridge and over the mesas. It sounded like it saved almost an hour, and certainly much elevation gain. Has anyone on this group done this? Any pitfalls to this approach, or something that one should know about it?

I'm also curious if anyone has been in Choprock this season, and what they might have found as far amount of swimming etc
    nat smale

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Be aware that part of the cattle trail has washed out and is tricky since it's now a vertical wall in one place. We could make it across on roots, but once they die or wash out, it will make it much harder.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Be aware that part of the cattle trail has washed out and is tricky since it's now a vertical wall in one place. We could make it across on roots, but once they die or wash out, it will make it much harder.
    Thanks for the update Scott. Is this right where the trail climbs out of Choprock?

Nat

Hmmm. I am not sure that hiking upstream from Fence to Chop would be that much faster than getting on top of the bench and busting it out.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Hmmm. I am not sure that hiking upstream from Fence to Chop would be that much faster than getting on top of the bench and busting it out.
    Do you mean getting up on to the bench from near the mouth of Fence? I actually haven't done that. Previously I have approached Chop by the Cattle trail (was camped in Lower Chop), or from lower Neon or from Circle Cliff side. I assume there is a way up from near the mouth of Fence?

Nat

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nat View Post
    Do you mean getting up on to the bench from near the mouth of Fence? I actually haven't done that. Previously I have approached Chop by the Cattle trail (was camped in Lower Chop), or from lower Neon or from Circle Cliff side. I assume there is a way up from near the mouth of Fence?

Nat
    Yeah, an easy climb up the slab, a few minutes up-river from Fence, behind an old Corral. Conspicuous.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Yeah, an easy climb up the slab, a few minutes up-river from Fence, behind an old Corral. Conspicuous.

Tom
    Thanks, Tom.

Nat

Quote Originally Posted by nat View Post
    Thanks, Tom.

Nat
    Then maybe I should finish - traverse up-river at the top of the slabs, soon finding a bit of the Overland Trail. Follow it into the first sidecanyon, then out the other side 100 feet or so, then climb up zig-zaggin through cliff bands to follow that sidecanyon back away from the river... you maybe know it from there.

Also here: http://www.canyoneeringcentral.com/c.../choprock.html

But I think this needs some revision - would appreciate any notes you could provide (perhaps side-band).

Tom

Tom, I must have gone an easier or perhaps longer way but when we veered left at the end of the approach I do not remember a 4th class chimney prior to walking along the rim of Chop until we could easily enter. Maybe Spidey has a better recollection than I do.
    Life is Good

Nat,

Some freinds and I did choprock two weeks ago (april 14th). We just took a topo map and blazed our own trail. We hung left right before the first mesa and took the slickrock bench to the entrence. I've never done the canyon before but the slickrock is a ton easier than trudging through that sand, although probably quite a bit less direct. Our group was comptetent and very prepared (we each had at least 6 mm of wetsuit and we were glad we did) neoprene gloves and socks are a must. As we dropped into the canyon it started snowing. The water was soooo cold that some of the pools just stayed slushy the rest of the day. The overall water level seemed alot lower than the waterlines on the canyon wall typically indicates. Overall though it is an amazing canyon, absolutly loved it, but go prepared.

kyle

that fourth class chimmney comment confused us too, we just walked right into it.

and I wouldn't reccomend choprock and backpacking out in the same day if you are planning to camp down there...

Quote Originally Posted by nielse2 View Post
    Nat,

Some freinds and I did choprock two weeks ago (april 14th). We just took a topo map and blazed our own trail. We hung left right before the first mesa and took the slickrock bench to the entrence. I've never done the canyon before but the slickrock is a ton easier than trudging through that sand, although probably quite a bit less direct. Our group was comptetent and very prepared (we each had at least 6 mm of wetsuit and we were glad we did) neoprene gloves and socks are a must. As we dropped into the canyon it started snowing. The water was soooo cold that some of the pools just stayed slushy the rest of the day. The overall water level seemed alot lower than the waterlines on the canyon wall typically indicates. Overall though it is an amazing canyon, absolutly loved it, but go prepared.

kyle
    Thanks, Kyle. Wow, sounds cold. We will be in there in mid May, and were hoping to get by with 4/3 wetsuits, which is what has worked for me in the past (once in late April, once in late May, and once in early October). Maybe we'll have to beef it a bit, though it might not be as bad in a couple of weeks. When I was down at Fence last year mid-may, the 2 parties that I met who had just done Choprock also had 6 mil or more, and said it was very cold in there. We decided not to do it ( we all had 4/3 or 3/2 suits).

Nat

Quote Originally Posted by nielse2 View Post
    Nat,

kyle
    I'd like to try that. Can you give me a few more details?

Tom

Hi Nat! I met you years ago (2002)? when you and two guys were ripping through Anasazi for the first time. I, my buddy Herb Taylor and a couple friends ran into you there...we were backpacking. Kelsey and I went through it a year later and got to within a hundred yards of the lake, where it gets super tight and slick with moss. Did you place the bolts in that one? We were curious if you were the first thru...Byron Lemay.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Hi Nat! I met you years ago (2002)? when you and two guys were ripping through Anasazi for the first time. I, my buddy Herb Taylor and a couple friends ran into you there...we were backpacking. Kelsey and I went through it a year later and got to within a hundred yards of the lake, where it gets super tight and slick with moss. Did you place the bolts in that one? We were curious if you were the first thru...Byron Lemay.

Hi Byron, yes I remember quite well! That was May 2001. I think that we both met Kelsey on that trip for the first time. He was exploring for his lake guide, doing Nasja and the Rainbow Bridge trail. I did place a bolt and a pin at the top of the second rappel, but the pins at the top of the third were already there, maybe placed earlier by Charly Oliver?. We didn't quite make it to the lake, but maybe the same place you guys got to. At ground level it gets very tight and narrow. We were running out of time, and re-ascended our ropes. Met you guys on the way back to our camp.

Nat

OK, now I remember quite well...nice canyon, eh? I took my girlfriend there a couple years ago and we found two exits to the west, one with LOTS of exposure and the other not so bad. Indeed, tight as hell down by the lake...stemming on snot, for the most part! Glad to see you're still cruisin' around...enjoy Choprock!

Nat

I have to say this is a timely discussion. I will be doing Choprock on Sunday May 13 with three other canyoneers. I am aware of another group that plans to do Choprock the weekend before so there should be plenty of solid beta regarding the canyon. When are you planning to do the canyon? Private message me so I have your email and I will of course pass along any information on conditions. We will be exiting the area on Tuesday May 15 and I am happy to call you by phone if you are in there after us. Or perhaps we will all be sharing the canyon.

Ken

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    Nat

I have to say this is a timely discussion. I will be doing Choprock on Sunday May 13 with three other canyoneers. I am aware of another group that plans to do Choprock the weekend before so there should be plenty of solid beta regarding the canyon. When are you planning to do the canyon? Private message me so I have your email and I will of course pass along any information on conditions. We will be exiting the area on Tuesday May 15 and I am happy to call you by phone if you are in there after us. Or perhaps we will all be sharing the canyon.

Ken

Ken
    Ken,

I am not yet completely certain about the dates, but it looks like we'll probably just miss each other. I think that we will hike down to Fence on the evening of May15, and hike out on the morning of May 18. Thanks for offering to send me an update. I'll PM you my contact info.

Nat