Thread: An Evening at Bryce Canyon

An Evening at Bryce Canyon

Las Vegas Trip 2012
    Friday, March 16, 2012

The Original Trip Report on ADVENTR.CO

Friday had arrived, which means it was time to finally leave Las Vegas. Even though we enjoyed visiting some of the areas outside of the city, we were both looking forward to getting out of the big city. After checking out of our hotel we were back on the road again and pretty soon we were out of Nevada, Arizona and then back in Utah again. Our destination for today was Bryce Canyon National Park, but we decided to get there via the Arizona Strip and through Kanab. We stopped to grab some lunch in Kanab and then carried on until we finally reached Bryce.

When we first arrived at Bryce we stopped by both Sunrise and Sunset Points. The light was pretty flat while we were there, but it was a good scouting opportunity for the following sunrise.

While exploring the area around Sunset Point, I descended the Navajo Trail loop a short ways until it was blocked by a snow drift that I didn't feel like crossing. We didn't have much time for hiking this evening, so it's probably for the best.

Trail Down by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

The Trail Ahead by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

After a quick stop to check out Inspiration Point we continued on to Bryce Point. I stayed below taking some photos because the sun had poked out through the clouds causing some spot-lighting while Amanda continued up to Bryce Point to wait for me.

Amanda Above by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Nice spot-lighting on the spires from near Bryce Point.

Bryce Point by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Spire Light by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

We left Bryce Point and wanted to finish the drive to the end of the park. Our next spot was at the impressive Natural Bridge.

Bryce Natural Bridge by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

I stopped somewhere along the road to get a photo of this interesting rectangle-shaped spire as we drove up to Rainbow Point at the southern end of the park.

Rectangle Spire by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Here's one photo I took from Rainbow Point.

Rainbow Point by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

Even though we stuck to the main road and overlooks in the park this day, it was a nice introduction to the park and will certainly help me plan a better trip in the future.

An Evening at Bryce Canyon National Park Photo Gallery
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Your pics are amazing.
    I am heading to Utah in two weeks and was thinking about checking out bryce. In your pics, the 1st one. is that a road you can drive down. I have a jeep and would love to drive out there and camp if thats possible.

Quote Originally Posted by gwayms View Post
    Your pics are amazing.
    I am heading to Utah in two weeks and was thinking about checking out bryce. In your pics, the 1st one. is that a road you can drive down. I have a jeep and would love to drive out there and camp if thats possible.
    That's just a hiking trail.
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Quote Originally Posted by gwayms View Post
    In your pics, the 1st one. is that a road you can drive down. I have a jeep and would love to drive out there and camp if thats possible.
    I don't know of any dirt roads at all inside the park, but there are dirt roads and dispersed camping all around the park. Really nice in the Tropic Reservoir area which is close to the park entrance.

Once again nice shots!