Thread: Eardley to ZeroG "shortcut"?

Blog Entries

Eardley to ZeroG "shortcut"?

I know how everyone loves the hike in and out of Eardley...but We were wondering if any have attempted the route or shortcut listed in the picture.

Typically we do Eardley and ZeroG in one day but we were looking at hookups and saw this potential route (Mostly downhill to zeroG after you climb the short reef section).

Any thoughts?

The route in question is in yellow.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335375859.457607.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  108.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Awesome idea. Let us know how it works out!!!

Tom

Has anyone found a short cut into Eardley? That one is a beast to get into. I have done the canyon right entrance but also saw a suggestion of the south side of the canyon too. Anyone have thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by USofCS View Post
    Has anyone found a short cut into Eardley? That one is a beast to get into. I have done the canyon right entrance but also saw a suggestion of the south side of the canyon too. Anyone have thoughts?
    I posted up the south side, and it is a bear too.

Start at the top?

http://www.canyoneeringcentral.com/c...ide/swell.html

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by USofCS View Post
    Has anyone found a short cut into Eardley?
    I've never tried it but I looked at rappeling in just above the tech section. It looks easy enough to do.

Personally I always enjoy the hike into Eardley. Lots of cool stuff if you know what to look for. The steep gulley is filled with fossils and at least one dino skeletion.

The Eardley/Zero G hook-up should work. I've hiked up Zero-G to Straight Wash and there is nothing to stop you. The upper section of Zero G is a nice hike if you like hiking the reef.

I've down climbed where Shane suggests just above the Tech section...had rope with me of course for the rest of the canyon but was able to weave in and out of cliff bands without having to break it out. I wasn't the first to descend this way as I saw ample evidence of left behind gear...webbing and an old carabiner under a section of rock...webbing around a tree, etc. Very loose and steep rock so not ideal for groups more than 2 or 3 people. Had to try at least once for something new...best way though is probably the traditional entry point Shane has on Climb-Utah

sk

Blog Entries
    Tom, so we just got back, and the linkup works just dandy! Comparing times from exiting Eardley and hitting up Zero G from the trailhead, to this "shortcut", saves about 30-40minutes of hiking. It's a little up hill, but once you climb out the wash, piece of cake - and it saves much needed energy to finish ZeroG. It's a good alternative route, for those doing the link up.

However, we did find another possible linkup that would save an additional mile! We scouted it out but didn't descend the canyon, but looks very doable. I'll post a pic of the shorter shorcut once I get it off my phone. Think of this shortcut as the Das Boot of Zero G. From below, the canyon looks tame, but again, we didn't descend it to confirm.

Edit: here's the pic. The shorter shortcut is in green. The shortcut route we took is in yellow. And the red line is Zero Gravity.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Interesting...

although, it is not a part of the world I get to much, so my interest is mostly academic.

T

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Interesting...

although, it is not a part of the world I get to much, so my interest is mostly academic.

T
    I hear ya on that one. One has to remember, that a lot of swell canyons have lengthy approaches and exits. And anything to shave off a few miles or save on elevation - the better!
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

How were conditions in the two canyons?

Nevermind just saw this post: http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ley-and-zero-g
    Last edited by Uncle Rico; 04-30-2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: dumb
    Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
    How were conditions in the two canyons?

Nevermind just saw this post: http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ley-and-zero-g
    Posted up on Candition?

T