Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mountain Biking vs Running

I can't say I have the same issue. I do both (MTB and run). Our son is on a MTB racing team at his high school but won't run unless being chased by a wild animal. My wife is an avid marathoner but is still trying to get comfortable doing easy single tracks and probably will never be very excited about MTBing. But she is supportive of my time biking and doesn't view it as less valued than her runs. There is a bit of a difference in that runs tend to be training things rather than "outings". That's a subtle and subjective distinction though.

Beech - I think you need to keep explaining to your wife that she is just plain wrong on this point. You know how easy it is do that, right?

BTW - I'm off to the MTB state championship this weekend for my son and his team!
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Well go for a 2 hour MTB ride then go for a 2 hour run. After you’re done I think you'll be able to decide which one deserves the bigger pat on the back for be able to complete. Like has been mentioned before, biking is a lot more fun than running, so it's probably viewed more as recreation, where as running is viewed as an "accomplishment".

OK, I think I'm getting it. The more it sucks, the more likes it gets?

Well, as someone who used to be a runner I'll say biking is a harder, more technical sport any day of the week. And it's much easier on the body. I honestly don't notice being slighted though. As a runner I did mostly distance stuff, 1/2 and full marathons, Crazy Bob's, etc. As a biker I do centuries, etc. But I also do at least 20 miles and usually more every day. My friends actually seem impressed by all the miles I put it.

But I will say that both knees are trashed and surgically repaired, as well as a messed up left foot and lower back. All of this means running is a non-option yet I can still bike daily with little to no pain. In my mind cycling is clearly the superior sport. My legs and lungs are also in better shape now then they have ever been even though I am getting up there in years.
    Exercise is the elixir of life!

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
    Well go for a 2 hour MTB ride then go for a 2 hour run. After you’re done I think you'll be able to decide which one deserves the bigger pat on the back for be able to complete. Like has been mentioned before, biking is a lot more fun than running, so it's probably viewed more as recreation, where as running is viewed as an "accomplishment".
    You know I have to say I just can't agree with this. It really comes down to how committed you are and how hard you work out. I know for me I get a lot more instances of "runner's high" riding than I ever did as a runner because I push myself harder physically. I am able to really tax the muscles and cardio system in way I never could running because the running always took such a heavy negative physical toil in other ways.

8. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    So are ya gonna buy her flowers now. You are cracking me up with this thread.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    So are ya gonna buy her flowers now. You are cracking me up with this thread.
    Yeah as soon as she lets me back in the house

The wise man always has a nice dog house...

Name:  deluxe_doghouse_64f53655-cd6d-403c-b55a-456a0f084f80.png
Views: 1933
Size:  189.6 KB

12. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    Gagnar!! See any good running videos lately? Marathon Intense? Please. I think runners are physical animals and deserve a lot of respect, but Mtn Bikers have a lot more to deal with. As far as getting respect, forget it. Husbands goof off and don't help much. And they have overpriced useless hobbies. But we kick ass!!! or at least we think so. "hey honey, where did I put my teeth?"
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

14. Likes REDFOX liked this post
    ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    For the record this is one girl that would never argue with a guy that wanted to mountain bike.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    For the record this is one girl that would never argue with a guy that wanted to mountain bike.
    I believe you, and I think that you should start a club recruiting others.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

17. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    More from the running double standard this weekend.

"The Full Monte" marathon up in Ogden Valley was ran this weekend. My wife did the half.

I stayed home to change out the alternator on the car so she could have a vehicle to drive to work this week. I was PLANNING on taking the kids up there to wait at the finish line for her but as she was pulling the car out of the garage, that's when it died.

I actually got crap from people asking why I didn't go support my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    More from the running double standard this weekend.

"The Full Monte" marathon up in Ogden Valley was ran this weekend. My wife did the half.

I stayed home to change out the alternator on the car so she could have a vehicle to drive to work this week. I was PLANNING on taking the kids up there to wait at the finish line for her but as she was pulling the car out of the garage, that's when it died.

I actually got crap from people asking why I didn't go support my wife.
    That is so wrong, screw what they think! Oh and all those dang runners got in the way of my cycling Saturday, LOL!!