Thread: The Northeast Spur Fork and The North Fork of Twin Corral Box

The Northeast Spur Fork and The North Fork of Twin Corral Box

So I rounded up three friends for a trip to The Roost this weekend, we all left Boulder around 7pm and got to our campsite at Bull Pasture at 1:45 in the mornin... pretty dern quick.

Got some good sleep and headed to High Spur. The "bad spot" that Kelsey refers to before the drill hole is an uphill sandy spot, we didn't have to air down the tires to make it past, but bringing an air compressor is probably a good idea.
    We parked just beyond the drill site and left our car 'round noon to hike down into the canyon above the corkscrew.
    We ascended the canyon(from our entry point up to the circular feature is mostly walkthrough under current conditions) the upper slot is very beautiful... well worth the walk.
    We then descended the canyon, there were two small potholes to climb out of just before the corkscrew.
    Damnnnnn was the corkscrew section beautiful.... deep reds and lots of twists and angles.
    We encountered an owl underneath a giant wall collapse. It appeared content to stare at us and didn't seem upset by our presence.
    After some thigh-deep mud that smelled like cow crap we encountered a fun downclimb that can be belayed.
    Lastly we hit up the 70ft(?) free rappel. We encountered problems with the pull so I jugged up and re-rigged the anchor.
    We took a steep gully out instead of the Moki-steps and took an access trail back to the road and the car. It took us 5 hours round trip.

Sunday was Alcatraz.
    We all suited up cause we weren't sure what to expect. The wetsuits would prove to be a huge pain because the canyon was completely dry... but better safe than sorry I guess.
    We dropped in round 10:30a. Anchored off a car for the big rap which was a blast. There are two downclimbs of about 20-30 feet right off the bat, this was the highest off the ground that any of us got.
    In the pothole we found a piton anchor on the downstream side of the pothole which made the climb out of the pothole much easier than we had expected... kinda disappointing.
    Then came the fun part... lots of squeezing and jumping and (low)stemming and all sorts of fun. I'd say this canyon is similar to Middle Lep but twistier with more ups and downs and overall character to it.
    The hike back out was hot. Took us about 6 hours round trip.
    All in all it was a short but fantastic weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images             

2. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice - Love the Owl shot
    - Gavin

Nice pictures. Confused one guy in a complete wetsuit, the girl is in a bikini? Spur is an awesome canyon.

Awesome! I'm heading to High Spur this upcoming weekend!

Oh, and it looks like that pothole right before the corkscrew is getting deeper!
    Darin

Looks awesome! Great job!
    --Cliff

Very nice! Alcatraz is next on our list in the Roost. Good job wearing helmets for all the photos

"Confused one guy in a complete wetsuit, the girl is in a bikini?"

Yeah she packed the wetsuit up as soon as we touched down from the big rap... shoulda followed her lead

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    "Confused one guy in a complete wetsuit, the girl is in a bikini?"

Yeah she packed the wetsuit up as soon as we touched down from the big rap... shoulda followed her lead
    Maybe we're glad you didn't. Not sure pictures of YOU in a bikini would have gone over as well...

Tom

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Maybe we're glad you didn't. Not sure pictures of YOU in a bikini would have gone over as well...

Tom

Great photos, like the owl shot. Thanks for sharing.

Hi, great report and pictures. How big a drop were the dryfalls. Kelsey's book talks about a steep one of about 18ft although his photo makes it look bigger?
    Do you think a child could get down them?
    And if we only have one car, do you think it's possible to turn round go back up the slots and climb UP the dryfalls?
    Thanks, Ross

Looks like it was a fun trip with some great views. Awesome!

Great photos! That owl is awesome! There aren't many canyons that I do over and over again, but Alcatraz is one of them. Just about the best bang for the buck that there is.

Nat

17. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Nice trip report and pictures. Alcatraz is on my list to do.

Quote Originally Posted by kaniukr View Post
    Hi, great report and pictures. How big a drop were the dryfalls. Kelsey's book talks about a steep one of about 18ft although his photo makes it look bigger?
    Do you think a child could get down them?
    And if we only have one car, do you think it's possible to turn round go back up the slots and climb UP the dryfalls?
    Which canyon are you asking about? High Spur or Alcatraz?

Alcatraz is a serious technical slot for experienced canyoneers only. High Spur is a relatively easy technical canyon, but its still technical. Kelsey lists a hiking route for High Spur, but I would not attempt it without some tech gear and knowledge of how to use it. High Spur is one of the fastest changing slots I know of. Drops appear and disappear every month.

Great photo's of the slot! Nice light.

I need to do these...probably too hot soon...