Thread: North Wash Trip

North Wash Trip

A few of my buddies and I headed down for some canyoneering and motorcycling last week. We hit Boss Hog, Hogwarts and Merry Piglet. Had a great trip. Really liked Hogwarts and Piglet, lot of bang for a little work.
    Attached Images Attached Images            

2. Likes bowjunkie liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Very cool love photos of the bridge. What canyon is it in and does it have a name?

The arch is in Hogwarts. Great short canyon.

North Wash Slot?

Has anyone descended the slot by the marker? It is just north of the hogs and south of sandthrax campground. If you have is it any good?

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I swear the last time doing the final rap in hogwarts, the big rock slid a bit, I don't like that so much anymore

Don't plan on being there anytime soon but if I did, I'd hunt down a new anchor position.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    Has anyone descended the slot by the marker? It is just north of the hogs and south of sandthrax campground. If you have is it any good?
    Mark,

Look at it at maps.bing.com
    You will see that there is nothing there. FWIW... maps.bing.com is far far far far superior to google earth or google maps for looking at canyons.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by PG Rob View Post
    FWIW... maps.bing.com is far far far far superior to google earth or google maps for looking at canyons.
    Agreed 100%! I discovered their maps a few weeks ago and I'm amazed at the image resolution. Wish there was a way to pull their map tiles into Google Earth.
    Blog | FB

I looked a bing pretty nice, the only problem with saying there is nothing there which I am sure there isn't or someone would of discussed it but Hogwarts sure doesn't look like much on bing. One other question, anybody have any clue what the perpendicular lines are on the faint road coming over from the hog canyons?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    I swear the last time doing the final rap in hogwarts, the big rock slid a bit, I don't like that so much anymore

Don't plan on being there anytime soon but if I did, I'd hunt down a new anchor position.
    Maybe it has slid to a solid position, didn't even seem to budge when we down.

Yeah, we did Hogwarts yesterday and the rock didn't move for us either. We did extend webbing down to the edge, which added more friction. Yes, the extra webbing is more trash but the rock was beginning to show where people had been pulling across it. That rock is very rough and probably does a number on the sheath as well.

Wasn't there webbing on the rock when you got there?

Yes, there was webbing around the anchor rock, which was about 20 feet up away from the start of the rap. We just extended it down to the edge to protect the rock and our rope on the pull.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post

Mark
    I scouted that out with Mr. Wilkes a couple years ago. Looks good from afar, but when you get up close, it turns out to be nothing - too low angle and too small a scale to be of any interest. I thought I was looking at a 60 foot rappel, it was a 30 foot low-angle walk-down.

This one is on Tell, Don't Bother Showing status...

Tom

16. Likes The Good Cop liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post

We've used a deadman in the pothole just before the drop, but it washes out everytime the canyon floods, so does not last very long. And it is usually cold and wet to work it, and people are ready to rap outta there and go eat dinner - thus the "Alligator" has become the anchor of choice.

http://www.canyoneeringcentral.com/r...ring-nov-2011/

Tom