Thread: Camping suggestions

Camping suggestions

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Hey everyone, I

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The San Rafael is a great area to explore. Most any shade you get will be from canyon walls vs trees.
    I'm much more familar with the Southern Swell vs the Northern half.
    You could pull off almost any road and find a spot to camp. water is little tougher. I've let my horses use the water from the various stock ponds, indian bath tubs and cisterns, But I've always brought my own people water.

There are some hidden cisterns through out the swell.

Indian bathtubs are scattered through out the swell

You can drive down to Red Canyon and camp along the muddy river. It's about 25 miles off the pavement, But good county gravel roads. You won't see many other people unless its a big weekend.

There is a big stockpond up on McKay flat near the head of baptist draw. I try not to camp on the water since the wild life in the area use it extensively and I don't want to push them away from their water.
    Mustang on McKay Flat

There are numeous off ramps off I-70 as it divides the swell. Any of those dirt roads will traverse the area and you will see lots of places to pull off and camp. Justensen Flats and explore down to Copper Globe mine or over to the window looking out over Red Canyon. The Head of Sinbad Area, Swayse Cabin, and explore down through Eagle Canyon. There is a Water tank about half way down Eagle canyon. Kinda hidden in the brush, but the deer, bighorn sheep know it's there and my horses will drink it. There is an arch in Eagle Canyon

Follow the gravel road down to Hidden Splendor Mine. Camp there by the muddy river and explore, You can follow the river upstream and then enter chimney canyon from the bottom. You could back pack into the Pasture and camp there.
    Looking down Chimney from on top

There are just thousands of places to pull off and camp and explore in that area.