Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which motorcycle dirt bike tires to buy

Which motorcycle dirt bike tires to buy

I need to buy a front tire. I thought that there was a thread in here with this information but I can't find it. Looking for advise and a possible explantion for a newby with a front tire that suddenly has the side knobs torn off.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Front tires are a bit of a problem for me. When I find one that hooks up well it starts to chunck off in the rocks and if I find one that works well for the rocky desert it tends to wash out on me.
    I think for myself that I would rather find one that is a bit softer and replace as needed than try the harder style front tires. Seems to wear out faster but!!!!!!!! your talking stearing here.
    And they are a bit cheaper than rear tires. Just my 2 cents worth.

Example A: Dunlop mx 51 front or something in that area.
    I run a Maxxis Desert IT on the front of my big heavy XR and love it but it does not seem to work as well on my YZ . Go figure.

Now- I am no expert that is for dam sure but With my 450 I like a hard tire on back with a little bit softer tire up front. I do like any pattern that staggers itself on the edges as well.

You will not find this in a DOt tire to offten. But dont get a Dunlop 606 up front ever. I have had great success with them in the rear but the front washes big time.
    If you don't believe me I'll give you a brand new one to check for yourself.LMAO
    And as much as I like the 606 on the rear it only works with the 18" tires saddly. I can't find them in 19".
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.
    Life is good and life is fare.

Now you kept the green machine right? And the over all weight is under 300lbs? And the tire size by your manual says? like 100/80-21.????

I think it would be a good idea to check Thumper Talk's web site for our area and bike specific/front tire threads.
    If you want to ride let's ride and if you want an attitude well we just need to do some more ridding.

Dunlop MX51 is my favorite. Derek will argue that all day though, he is all about the Maxxis.
    My newer bike came with the Dunlop and after I let down the 35 lbs the dealer had put in, it works great

Thanks for the feedback so far now I am interested in what garbanzo has to say prefferably in a non dot tire since he buys tires every other week.:D

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. Jarrod and I spent two years with each of us using every tire we could find. I bought some bridgestones, he got some Maxxis, then we switched. I then got some dunlops and he got some others. Essentially for desert riding we found that the MX71 is the best. The MX51 will waste away too quickly. The Maxxis Desert IT tire is great but doesn't quite have the hook-up the MX71 has, especially as a front tire.

My advice is to get the Dunlop MX71 with the Maxxis Desert IT as a close second for the rear. I will say this though, the Bridgestone M604 was and still is the best front tire available. Period.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX View Post
    Thanks for the feedback so far now I am interested in what garbanzo has to say prefferably in a non dot tire since he buys tires every other week.:D

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
    Mid to Hard Terrain and as cheap as you can find with a decent tread.

Nelson has some good tire suggestions. I run the Michelin M12 on the rear and they are $61.99 at Rocky Mtn.
    As far as a front, I am running a Pirelli Scorpion XCMH and like it as well.

Just remember, soft tires hook up but don't last.
    Mid to Hard tires don't hook up quite as well but last longer.
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. Jarrod and I spent two years with each of us using every tire we could find. I bought some bridgestones, he got some Maxxis, then we switched. I then got some dunlops and he got some others. Essentially for desert riding we found that the MX71 is the best. The MX51 will waste away too quickly. The Maxxis Desert IT tire is great but doesn't quite have the hook-up the MX71 has, especially as a front tire.

My advice is to get the Dunlop MX71 with the Maxxis Desert IT as a close second for the rear. I will say this though, the Bridgestone M604 was and still is the best front tire available. Period.
    I will try the Bridgestone next for my front. On Rocky Mtn it shows only a rear for the M604 and front for the M603. Is the M603 front tire the one you speak of?
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

I run the D606 in back to maintain the DOT rating for the road. They hold up really well and so far have hooked up well. The D606 fronts suck, as stated here before, so this time around I went to the Pirelli Scorpion Pro FIM. I read about it on another site and decided to give it a try. Has been great so far, and seems to be holding up well.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...pion-Pro-F.I.M.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo View Post
    I will try the Bridgestone next for my front. On Rocky Mtn it shows only a rear for the M604 and front for the M603. Is the M603 front tire the one you speak of?
    Yes. My favorite tires but the 604 just doesn't last that long in the back. But boy does it carve a turn.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

It freaking better
    I took your advise myself as I have run the gauntlet with all the others.
    603 up front but not tested as of yet and a 604 in the rear soon to be mounted. After I burn another 35-40 dollars worth on the last remaining Maxxis desert IT
    I've yet to run Brigdestonenies, Don't stir me wrong bro.
    They look nice but then again so did everything else.

But the maxxis is still on the front of the BRP and the rear of the YZ and well they may not last as long as a D606 I am happy for the most part.
    However the front on this yz has been washing out big time on the old sport D 490 I think it is but with very little wear. Might be a great hard dirt tire but I'm always riding washes when it scares the holy out of me.
    But let's face it nobody builds the tire that does it all. So sad too.
    I'll try anything once and if it works I'll try it twice but it's not always the same for some reason.
    Terrain, Mold etc. But it also maybe marketing. See I've some good ones and some not so good ones and If I try ones that has worked well for me in the past sometimes it is not the same animal in the future.(same brand) It sometimes seems to be just a marketing thing to me. OR maybe just a batch thing.
    Or just plain old scam. THe prices don't seem to have any factor in it.
    I've had several tires of same brand but different lotment that react completely different than the origanals.
    And you can feel the difference just by touch or rather pinch.

Example: I've had three maxximas on and two where very nice but one chunked inside 30 miles or so. PISSED me of big time. You know at the price and all. These were all on my BRP however.
    I don't think the rocks were any bigger factor than before or after but it went quick. Noticeably quick.

Seems to me when you get lucky you get lucky.

2 things are for sure:
    1: I'll never run a Sadona ever again
    2:Perilli sucks ass in the desert PERIOD. They don't even make a hard terrain tire at all. Total pc of well you get my drift.
    I do here they make great track closed circiut tires however.
    Can't remember the exact tire but it was there IT (PERILLI) and it did not make it 40 miles and 5 more mile it was chuncking like a raped teen. I put a total of about 100 when I had to pull it and still had the little nipps on the right side. SHOT. AND I thought the Sedona was bad? At least it got me 50 miles into NV. and back before it was toast.

But one has to keep in mind the power of the BRP while high speeding the good Desert. YEEE FRIGGIN haw. When 90mph is just not good enough.
    THe funny thing is the maxxis on front is holding well and has been for the last six months and this is not an easy bike to slow down fast.

Cheng Shin Dirt Bikes

Cheng Shin Dirt Bikes should sort out your biking troubles especially in this period of budget tightening. These set of tires give you longevity hence you avoid frequent replacement while at the same time you achieve great performance and aesthetic value. You can get more insight and a reasonable purchase of these tires at the 4WheelOnline.com website.

I have some trusted tires I live by but it all depends on your bike and conditions.
    Maxxis IT is great up front and rear.
    Dunlop 606 has been the very best on the rear of my 650.
    604 is a great on the rear with wet root and dark soil single track.
    IRC m5b is soft and works well in mud and SAND.
    mx 51 works well and mx 71 even better in desert terrain.
    603 is a great front tire
    Right now I running a 603 up front and an IRC m5b 130/80 18 that I just love on the rear on my Katoom. Losts of sand, rocks and very little mud but I get that to from time to time if I time it right after the rains.
    I have found no better tire for hooking up in the rear than the M5B butt is is costly and wears fast with my style.
    Just bought another however. On Sale for $90.99 plus tax Utah

Remember this. You can get two cheap apples for the price of a good one.
    You get what you are willing to pay for in short.

Just don't ever buy a Sadona tire Trust me on this one. One ride at very best and does not hook up at all. $60 dollar tire don't cut it period.....
    If money is what your worried about then get some enduro tires. They last good enough and give some traction as well.

I have however heard some good things about a tire that sounds like what mania is talking about.
    If this is the same tire my friend that had his own shop was telling me about he swears by them for longivity and he rides a very modded motor wise Honda crf450r. Claims to get a full season out of them.

I just ride...tires don't matter.

Shoot that's what I'm doing wrong
    All this time I was thinking tires mattered

What a dum ass I am i put tires right up there with breaks and stuff.:D

I think I'm starting to understand how this works.

WHICH DIRT BIKE TIRE TO BUY?
    The one that fits

Sorry REDFOX I know this one was drug up out of the grave and all.
    Hope you're doing well and getting tired of the snow.
    We have some more fun trails for you so let me know if your in town again and tell Randy to give me a call now his bike is running good.
    We are neighbors him and I.

I put quality brakes and tires as a high priority . I with have to call Randy. I have been working too much out of state. It is time to do a ride.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quality in tires may work for track racers or desert racers or even GNCC dudes and then there is the tires that work best for Enduro compitition.
    Some love enduro tires in moab while others love something that gets around just a bit more.
    Soft ,hard ect.

Are we talking front or rear tires, Sand. Rock, or street?
    Oh so many options.
    I'm a bit of a desert rat but I know what I like in the trees and moist stuff up north like your area.
    Up north I love the Dulop 604's but here in the desert I love the IRC m5B. The 603 up front has served me well enough through most and wears easy enough to adjust with tire pressure but I have tons to learn still myself.

I have know knowledge of true quality tires but I know this: If you by the good stuff the chances of getting a flat with the right tire pressure go down a lot.

Dude don't let me mess with you it's like asking what is the right oil:D

You'll never even get close unless you do your own studies LMAO= time in the ole saddle my friend.