Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beta for Trail Canyon

Beta for Trail Canyon

Does anyone happen to have, or know where I could find beta to for Trail Canyon. It seems to be a hard one to search for online. A lot of the problem is the name 'Trail'. It is a very broad and general word. I would appreciate it!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Good write-up, Shane.

Funny but a couple weeks ago I was asked why no one did Trail anymore... my response was its a great canyon and certianly worth doing, but the canyon had kinda fallen off the radar as most the usual suspects producing TR's, photo's and video had moved on to new endevors. At one time Trail was a must do canyon for intermedate or better canyoneers visiting North Wash. It packs a big bang for such an easy approach and exit. I still consider trail one of the best North Wash area slots.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Funny but a couple weeks ago I was asked why no one did Trail anymore... my response was its a great canyon and certianly worth doing, but the canyon had kinda fallen off the radar as most the usual suspects producing TR's, photo's and video had moved on to new endevors. At one time Trail was a must do canyon for intermedate or better canyoneers visiting North Wash. It packs a big bang for such an easy approach and exit. I still consider trail one of the best North Wash area slots.
    Totally concur!

That's awesome! Yeah I was wondering why the information wasn't as accessible with such an seemingly easy approach. I'm excited to do this one. It looks like a really fun one from what I've seen. Thanks, I guess it's time to finally become a climb-utah member!!!

Surprising how different Shane's Beta is from Kelsey's as far as difficulty. Can anyone elaborate?

aww dang it Shane. Now everybody and their brother and the boy scouts will be out there!!!
    Guess we will have to sneak thru midweek. Really looking forward to doing it, just not saying when!

Quote Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
    aww dang it Shane. Now everybody and their brother and the boy scouts will be out there!!!
    Guess we will have to sneak thru midweek. Really looking forward to doing it, just not saying when!
    Yeah, we would all like solitude, but would you be doing this without other people's advise and experience?

Trail is an amazing fun canyon, I just don't suggest doing it during spider mating season. We were in it last late May and encountered 10's of 1000s spiders of course in the long very very narrow hallway toward the end of the canyon. Very unnerving!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Surprising how different Shane's Beta is from Kelsey's as far as difficulty. Can anyone elaborate?
    What are the differences?

Quote Originally Posted by USofCS View Post
    Trail is an amazing fun canyon, I just don't suggest doing it during spider mating season. We were in it last late May and encountered 10's of 1000s spiders of course in the long very very narrow hallway toward the end of the canyon. Very unnerving!
    More likely Harvestmen (Daddy Long Legs), which are much more common in canyons, especially en masse. Some amazing displays. No hazard to humans, as their mouth parts are too small to pierce our skin.

Fun!!!

Tom

You are asking people to explain Kelsey's opinion of a canyon?

This is very difficult. Kelsey's opinions of canyons are a bit more erratic than other beta-providers. There are several reasons for this, including that Kelsey usually does not do a canyon more than once, so if he has a good day, it is easy, and if he has a tough go of it, then the canyon is hard. He also usually goes alone or with a very small group, so he does less "crowd-sourcing" than us other beta-providers.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    What are the differences?

Kelsey describes the canyon as pretty straight forward: downclimbing, non-keeper potholes and 2 raps, and goes on to say "About 500m beyond R2 will be the narrowest part. At one point you'll have to UC about 2m to pass a narrow spot. After that, and just before the slot ends, will be a place where only the skinniest folk can pass; everyone else will have to chimney up a meter or two..." Tech Slot Guide 2nd Ed.

Climb-Utah's beta http://climb-utah.com/Powell/trail1.htm mentions a much higher degree of skills required.

Has something in the canyon changed since his book?

I'm only bringing this up for safety's sake as I, and apparently everyone else including the boy scouts, have this on the radar and chimneying up 2 meters doesn't sound like much (since I don't fit in the "skinniest" group yet) and I'm not fully prepared for the next life.

Please don't think that I'm trying to whatsoever.

Those in the 190# plus catagory are going to be going much higher than 2M (6 feet). I know... because I'm in that group (6'-1", 195#).

MK is a skinny dude so I'm guessing he never actually tried the high road.

The bad part is if you take the low road and don't fit you are royally screwed, as the canyon floor drops and it would be very hard to reverse. Anyhoo.... that's my 2 cents...

Kelsey describes the canyon as pretty straight forward: downclimbing, non-keeper potholes and 2 raps, and goes on to say "About 500m beyond R2 will be the narrowest part. At one point you'll have to UC about 2m to pass a narrow spot. After that, and just before the slot ends, will be a place where only the skinniest folk can pass; everyone else will have to chimney up a meter or two..." Tech Slot Guide 2nd Ed.

Climb-Utah's beta http://climb-utah.com/Powell/trail1.htm mentions a much higher degree of skills required.

Has something in the canyon changed since his book?

I'm only bringing this up for safety's sake as I, and apparently everyone else including the boy scouts, have this on the radar and chimneying up 2 meters doesn't sound like much (since I don't fit in the "skinniest" group yet) and I'm not fully prepared for the next life.

Please don't think that I'm trying to whatsoever.
    Mr. K tends to think any upclimb he CAN do is fairly easy.

Personally, I find that upclimb rather challenging. I'd call it 5.9. Not too exposed or dangerous; and not all that easy to provide an assist to someone else on. I think I've done the upclimb 3 or 4 times, and gone through the bottom once. Sometimes going through the bottom is "enhanced" by there being deepish water down there. The narrowest part is a section going UPhill, and is the scene of several famous helmet-stack incidents. (A small person positions a stack of helmets in JUST the right place, for the fatty in the canyon to step up onto.)

Mmmmmmmmmm. Now the question is, how much beta do you need. right foot on that bump there, and...

This ties into another discussion - are we really at the stage where people need this much beta for a canyon? This is a philosophical question - we can tell you all sorts of things about the canyon, but we can't tell you how it will be for you on the particular day you have in mind...

My personal philosophy is that canyoneering is about adventure. Looking at Shane's and Mr. K's beta, you have enough information. Enough to be somewhat cautious, plenty to go in there and find out - hard or easy; or maximum struggle! Now you're talking!!!

Tom

18. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Kelsey usually does not do a canyon more than once, so if he has a good day, it is easy, and if he has a tough go of it, then the canyon is hard. He also usually goes alone or with a very small group, so he does less "crowd-sourcing" than us other beta-providers.
    Tom
    That had never crossed my mind. Makes perfect sense and something to consider in future plans.

Thank you.

Those in the 190# plus catagory are going to be going much higher than 2M (6 feet). that's my 2 cents...

That certainly would be where I'd be also. Thanks for the 2 cents.

Those in the 190# plus catagory are going to be going much higher than 2M (6 feet). I know... because I'm in that group (6'-1", 195#).

MK is a skinny dude so I'm guessing he never actually tried the high road.

The bad part is if you take the low road and don't fit you a royally screwed, as the canyon floor drops and it would be very hard to reverse. Anyhoo.... that's my 2 cents...
    Mr. K is skinny, but he hates the skinny stuff. I bet he went high. It is also the kind of climbing that I think Mr. K is good at.

The hard point of the climb up is not far off the ground. The high part in the pictures is easy. There's one gaper up there.

I also think the climb back up if you go into the slot is not too bad. don't know why, seems like I have seen people come back up and it is not too bad.

Tom

22. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    One note I don't think has been mentioned - that last skinny part is accessible from the bottom. Maybe a 20 minute walk from the road or so. I've used it as a "test" on companions to see how they fit in the skinnies, and they get to see how they enjoy squeezing in a non-stressful situation. There is also another pinch farther upcanyon that requires an upclimb by all, but I believe it is an easier upclimb and easily assistable, so I believe the last one is the "crux".
    -john