Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A fantastic two weeks in AZ and UT!

A fantastic two weeks in AZ and UT!

My husband did a great job planning our vacation in March and Bogley was useful in his research (thanks!), so thought I'd post a trip report. We packed a lot in on our trip and saw such a variety of things - it's kind of hard to summarize everything we did succinctly. So I'm just going to include the info from our webpage where all our pictures are posted ( AZ/UT 2012) and add a few of my favorite pictures (so difficult to choose!). Thanks for looking!

In March 2012, Steve, Norah, and I returned to the southwest for another fantastic trip through the canyons and rocks of northern Arizona and southern Utah. Our first major stop was a backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon - a repeat of the trip Steve and I first hiked about ten years ago. It was just as beautiful the second time around and a lot of fun to hike with Norah. From there we moved on to Page, AZ; located near the AZ/UT border by the scenic Lake Powell. We had visited this area six years ago and while we returned to Buckskin Gulch, everything else we did was a new experience for all of us. We particularly loved Coyote Buttes South and Yellow Rock. Such a dazzling array of colors and rock formations! To round out our vacation we made a short side trip to Bryce Canyon, where the star gazing was just as amazing as the orange hoodoos.

Some logistics: For planning and information we relied heavily upon the Michael Kelsey guidebooks and Laurent Marteres photography books, as well as research on the internet (trip reports and forums, including the useful http://www.bogley.com/ and http://www.tripadvisor.com/ ). For our back road adventures around Page we rented a 4WD Jeep from Rick at Canyon Country Adventures). He was great to work with and we continued his streak of never having a jeep get stuck (yay for us!). We were a little like gypsies on this trip and were on the move most of the time. We used a mix of backpacking, car camping, and motels. We especially loved camping at Alstrom Point (thanks to Rick

2. Likes Tango, Sombeech, zzyzx liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow! These are some amazing photos! I absolutely love the one from Alstrom Point.

Looks like you had a great vacation.

Did you have Lone Rock Beach all to yourselves?

Epic photos and write up too. Rock on.

Fantastic vacation at wonderful places w/ stunning pictures.
    THX for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Did you have Lone Rock Beach all to yourselves?
    Hi, we camped at Lone Rock 3 time on the trip, and there were somewhere between 2 and 4 parties on the beach each night. Given the size of the place it was pretty much all to ourselves.

Thanks everybody. Wish we lived closer so this wasn't a once a year type of thing! Love the southwest.

Looks like you had a great trip, thanks for the excellent TR. Photos are terrific.
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Nice TR. Thanks for sharing!
    [COLOR=#800080][FONT=franklin gothic medium]"Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Wow! These are some amazing photos! I absolutely love the one from Alstrom Point.
    x 2! Looks like a great trip! Thanks for sharing!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

What beautiful photos! You guys are so organized with your trips!! I love the moon light photo.

In the Antelope Canyon photo with the beam of light coming through the hole, can you check your camera metadata & see what time you took that? Some of those opportunities only last a few minutes.
    Very nice photos - especially the sunrise one. You definitely hit some of the best high spots for that area.

Great trip for kid travel, you covered a lot of ground, great spots and shots!

Thanks again everybody!

In the Antelope Canyon photo with the beam of light coming through the hole, can you check your camera metadata & see what time you took that? Some of those opportunities only last a few minutes.
    Very nice photos - especially the sunrise one. You definitely hit some of the best high spots for that area
    Unfortunately, there is a problem with my time stamp. I have no idea why - the time is correct on the camera, but it's not right on the files. We were there on March 16th roughly between 10 and noon. My best estimate for the time of these pictures is around 10:45 am. Sorry I don't have an exact time!

Thanks for checking on the time. I bet there's not too many days in a year in which the sun shines right through that hole. That's a very fortunate shot & timing, to have not deliberately planned it out.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    Thanks for checking on the time. I bet there's not too many days in a year in which the sun shines right through that hole. That's a very fortunate shot & timing, to have not deliberately planned it out.
    Yes, we totally got lucky! I didn't do any research really for Antelope Canyon. I knew the typical sunbeam shot is in upper more towards summer. I wasn't expecting any sunbeam shots at all in Lower - so was definitely pleasantly surprised.

You've got some great shots! Good light at the Wahweap Hoodoos. And a nice beam in the Lower Antelope Canyon.

Looks like I have to put the Yellow Rock on my list ... :)

Jessica

Bogley BigShot
    Magnificent stuff!

Wow, this was an awesomely thorough post. I was considering a trip to Buckskin Gulch this spring to camp with some friends, and after reading this post I am totally convinced. Planning my trip now. Do you have any suggestions on epic secret spots or any other suggestions for that area? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!