Thread: Running watch or ???

Running watch or ???

OK, my wife has taken up running and wants a method of knowing how far she has run. What is the best method?

Is there a good watch that can track this? Maybe with GPS? thoughts?

A little help in pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    garmin makes a couple gps running watches. a little bit bulkier than a normal running watches. nike at one time had a gps pod that fit on a running shoe & a companion watch that would read the data from that.

My wife used the Nike+ thing for a short time and hated it, had a Garmin watch and it was more of a pain than anything else.. she has since just used her smartphone to track her runs. if she has an Android Phone "My Tracks" is a great free app. On Windows or Iphone I don't know but there are apps available. I also use my phone to track my bike rides as well as hikes and it works well.
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Does she carry her smart phone with her? If so, use My Tracks app from Google. It's free and there will be no more hardware to wear or buy. I use it to track all of my rides.

6. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    I love my Garmin Forerunner 405, other than the battery dies after about 6 hours. Great for 50k or less though. Garmin also has a couple of simpler (cheaper) options.

Theclymb.com has been running deals on the Timex Ironman GPS quite a bit lately (about $140 if I remember right). My friend likes his.

This ended up being a lot more expensive then I thought... I ended up buying here her a smartphone.... that's like $50 a month for the rest of my life.

10. Likes denaliguide, DiscGo liked this post
    Don't know how MyTracks works...Try CardioTrainer if you want an alternative. Works great for me.
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

12. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    I have a Garmin 405 and its great, I had the bigger orange model (305?) before and it was horrible. They really improved it with the 405. I also use cardio trainer on my phone occasionally, and have found that while its pretty close, its never exactly the same and often time loses satelite connection, probably because I keep my phone in my pocket. It also drains my batter on the phone. I prefer the Garmin over using an app on the phone, plus it does the heart rate, and Garmin Connect on the computer is fun for revierwing your tracks.

I use MyTracks on the smartphone to keep track of distance but if I forget the phone, www.mapmyrun.com is a good post run tool to figure it out.

I run with my Android phone using the Runtastic app for distance and speed tracking. Nice features in this app and having the phone along doubles as a podcast/music device and triples as a safety feature if I end up broken somewhere miles from home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

I have used nike+, mapmyrun, and now Strava. I just signed up to it a couple days ago; using Strava Cycling and Strava Run on the iPhone 4.

Hmm if she has an Android operating system Cellphone "My Tracks" is a fantastic no cost app. On Windows or Iphone I don't know but there are applications available. I also use my phone to monitor my bicycle trips as well as increases and it performs well.
    Premier Fitness Solutions
    1445 Merchant Dr,
    Algonquin, Illinois,
    USA, 60102-5917
    PHONE# (224) 678-9060

Blog Entries

Running watch or ???

Since this is resurrected - Shane you are probably not interested anymore...but if you are the Nike TomTom watch is actually pretty cool and is watch sized and gives you real-time stats. She would probably actually like that one. But it costs about $160
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Re: Running watch or ???

My tracks and her smart phone are working great for her.

Sent using Tapatalk

map my run is a good app that works well anywhere you have cell service. I have the nike gps watch, it sucks balls. Don't waste your money on it

What is the best running watch? There are so many brands available and it's really difficult to choose one. Want your suggestions.

Does she have any experience? Or newbie?