Thread: Yankee Doodle/Boltergeist conditions

Yankee Doodle/Boltergeist conditions

I am taking a group of newbies through these canyons on Friday. Has anyone been through them lately? Just wondering about water levels, and if we might need wetsuits. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Completely dry, no wetsuits needed. Also no bugs yet which is really nice. I imagine in a couple weeks they will be out though, so hurry.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

What kind of bugs are we talikng? I'm hoping to take the kids through Yankee Doodle towards the end of May and I hate ticks!
    Mark

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmss View Post
    What kind of bugs are we talikng? I'm hoping to take the kids through Yankee Doodle towards the end of May and I hate ticks!
    Mark
    I've had really bad gnats out there about the first of June. This year is really dry though, hard to say what's gonna happen.

Might be REAL hot down there, too.

Tom

It was 100 degrees last year when we did the Subway and the boys got so cold in the swims, they thought I was trying to kill them!
    We'll take bug repellent and hope for the best. I'm trying to figure out a short canyon to break up a long drive en route to Zion to watch the eclipse.
    Mark

Bogley BigShot
    How about Boltergiest?

I am considering that too, but Shane on Climb-Utah kind of panned it, at least in relation to Yankee Doodle. What do you think?
    Mark

It was 100 degrees last year when we did the Subway and the boys got so cold in the swims, they thought I was trying to kill them!
    We'll take bug repellent and hope for the best. I'm trying to figure out a short canyon to break up a long drive en route to Zion to watch the eclipse.
    Mark
    Where are you coming from? How about IN Zion, Keyhole, Pine Creek, Low Fridge, Echo, Jolley Gulch...

Tom

Mark
    No, they are Cedar gnats I believe? And our bug repellant was useless against them. Nasty little critters.

http://www.bridgerlandaudubon.org/wi...0624midges.htm
    Most midge species don’t bite. The term no see ums refers to the ones that do bite. In southern Utah biting midges --aka no see ums --are often called cedar gnats. You may also hear them referred to as punkies or moose flies as well as some other names not mentionable on air. No see ums can surprise you for their bite is completely out of proportion to their tiny size—which is less than 1/8 of an inch long. Like mosquitoes, only the female bites for she needs a blood meal to produce eggs.

Unlike mosquitoes, no see ums don’t puncture the skin. They cut it open with their scissor-like mandibles. Then they squirt a chemical on the open wound to prevent clotting. Finally they suck up the resulting pool of blood through their proboscis, a straw-like structure near their mouth. Think of no see ums as miniature blenders making a smoothie out of you!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Where are you coming from? How about IN Zion, Keyhole, Pine Creek, Low Fridge, Echo, Jolley Gulch...

Tom
    Emporer of the Canyons where is Jolley Gulch? Have heard of it but no idear where it is.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Emporer of the Canyons where is Jolley Gulch? Have heard of it but no idear where it is.
    Jolley is on the west margin of Zion Park, not too far north of Rte 9; accessed by the East Rim trail. Rescue out there last fall was kind of a mess. Word has it 2 rappels, up to 200 feet. Is inside the Park so it requires a permit. On the roster of things for me to do. Might be a good first "long rappel" for people.

That's all I got.

Tom

Bogley BigShot
    Yeah, Boltergiest is not as impressive as Yankee, but its dry!

There is Kanarra Creek in Kanarraville.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/kanarra-creek.htm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look them up.
    We are driving from Glenwood Springs to Watchman campground in a day, so even a two hour canyon may be pushing it. But a day spent only driving seems wasted.
    On the return trip I was hoping to climb Chimney Rock, off I70.
    Still considering where to watch the eclipse. Was contemplating Angel's Landing, but I can't remember if there is a clear western horizon. Could be a cluster in the dark if crowded, too.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    There is beta for Jolley on bluugnome.com its a fun little canyon great for a short day if you get in late.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    There is beta for Jolley on bluugnome.com its a fun little canyon great for a short day if you get in late.
    Just don't try to exit early. That's what happened in the rescue last fall. Here's the link to that thread, if you're interested.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ht=jolly+gulch
    --Cliff

Consider Kanarra Creek, its a good one.

Sent by Android

We did Yankee Doodle and Boltergeist on Friday the 18th. Both fun and pleasant. No water issues, bugs bothersome at the parking, but otherwise absent. Thanks again for the advice!
    Mark