Thread: Misery Canyon, Mystery Canyon 4/6/12 - 4/7/12

Misery Canyon, Mystery Canyon 4/6/12 - 4/7/12

On April 6th and 7th a group of 6 of us descended Fat Man's Misery and Mystery Canyons. These were my first foray into technical Canyoneering. So please take my comments from the perspective of a noobie. Overall, it was a great experience, and quite different than a typical hike.

On the hike out to Misery, we got lost on the slick rock for a bit after we moved away from Checkerboard Mesa. We had a GPS unit, however, and quickly found our way to the canyon.

The rappels in Misery canyon are fairly tame, with the toughest being a rappel off the edge of a boulder (using a tree anchor) that requires you to drop into a hanging position (no feet contact). Overall, they were not too difficult or nerve-wracking for a noob.

Even though it is early spring, there were a couple of sections that require swimming, and a few more that require immersion above your hips.

As we lowered into a wash about 2/3rd the way through, we came upon a large herd of antelope[EDIT: Big Horn Sheep], that quickly scattered and ran down the canyon when they saw us (thus, no pics). As we hiked further down the wash, we came to an abrupt rappel, with steep hikes on either side. Of course, we saw no antelope, and therefore we concluded that they must all be great hikers!

I had on a rented wetsuit (rented from a place in SLC), and I was upset to learn that I scratched it up in the elbow section and tore a few holes. I should have worn elbow pads. Gratefully, the place I rented my wetsuit from treated me nicely and told me they'd call me only if the repair was costly. They haven't called yet.

The hike out of the canyon (which now accounts for the "misery" part of the canyon name) was not too terrible given the cool weather (it was in 50s or low 60s, I'd guess).

Mystery Canyon was a little more difficult. We were told by the desk clerk when picking up our permit that we were only the 2nd group down this season.

We opted to huff it up from Weeping Rock Trailhead instead of doing the car shuttle, which saved us a lot time overall (some of us had to drive back to LA that night). We were able to easily identify the turn off into Death Gully based on a picture someone had posted in a guide online. Death Gully had many sections covered in snow, and therefore we proceeded slowly. One such section appears in my pictures below. But it was doable without much concern.

The real rappels in the canyon were a lot of fun, and they didn't let up. You would finish a rappel, walk 20 feet, and encounter another rappel. Just before Mystery Springs, there are a few downclimbs and short rappels that were actually quite tricky for a noob.

As you might imagine, there was no water at this time of the year in the seasonal "lake" ahead of the rockfall.

The approach to Mystery Springs is awesome. I could tell it was coming from the pictures I had previously viewed here and elsewhere. I turned a corner and there it was. I thought the traverse out to the anchors would be more nerve-wracking than it actually was. We all clipped into the handline that seemed fairly stable. The rappel was a blast. We each landed on the boulder above the pool and then moved off the boulder into the water. The water was only knee deep, if that. Our last guy out encountered issues pulling our rope back through (our webbing pull line got stuck in some rocks) and therefore had to pull it through at the boulder. He then rappelled off an anchor we found at the boulder.

There are a couple more downclimbs and a few very short rappels before you hit the Mystery Falls. Someone in our group mis-heard the shuttle operator and believed that the last shuttle left at 5 PM. Therefore, we started moving quickly through this section.

When we hit the falls, we saw several hikers and tourists moving through the narrows, and we thus concluded that the shuttle must be operating much later than we thought (which was true). The rappel down the falls was very fun for a noob. I only slipped once, at the very beginning. When I got to the bottom, I realized that in my haste to get down to the narrows and take pictures of those rappelling after me, I had forgotten my bag and thus my camera (I brought a DSLR)! So I don't have any pictures of that section. Too bad. The last guy down thankfully brought me my bag.

The water in the narrows was not that deep, only above my knees a few times.

Overall, these were great canyons for a noob. It was better to do Misery first to get comfortable with rappelling. Great stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images                
    Last edited by rcrockett; 04-16-2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: typos

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome Trip Report! Welcome to the sport. When my group ran misery a few years back we got a little off track on the exit too, but luckily some of those formations are pretty recognizable. Fun canyons
    - Gavin

Nice . How was the water in Misery? Last time I was there it was all foamy and filled with log puree.

Nice TR! We hope to visit both of these canyons soon.

Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

We were in Misery 2 days later and found the anchor for the rap into the final narrows to be garbage. The back up webbing to a pretty ruff looking blue piece was tied in an overhand knot, not a water knot. Sometimes its easy to look at the triangle shape of the knot and think its ok. The key is to look at the tag ends of the knot. Two tag ends coming out the same side = overhand and wrong. A tag end coming out opposite ends of the knot is what you're looking for.

Found a couple other anchors like this in Zion lately, watch out now!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Nice TR, thanks.

Antelope? --- those would be Desert Bighorn Sheep.

Please tell me you plan on having helmets for everyone in your group before you venture out into the canyons again.

Tom

Nice TR! My favorite pic is the shot of the two stemmers with the tree blocking. Looks like a fun canyon! Haven't hit this one yet. We tried a couple weeks ago but bad weather blocked our progress. Glad it cooperated for you.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Nice TR, thanks.

Antelope? --- those would be Desert Bighorn Sheep.

Please tell me you plan on having helmets for everyone in your group before you venture out into the canyons again.

Tom
    Thanks for the correction re Bighorn Sheep.
    As for helmets: yes, a couple of us had helmets. Others did not, because our group leader forgot them. We decided that instead of canceling, we would proceed, understanding the risks. I do plan on bringing my own next time, and not relying on my group leader who had promised all the correct gear.

Quote Originally Posted by tcott View Post
    Nice . How was the water in Misery? Last time I was there it was all foamy and filled with log puree.
    The water was pretty dirty, but it wasn't that foamy, and I didn't notice any thick puree.