Thread: Beta on UPPER TICABOO CANYON?

Beta on UPPER TICABOO CANYON?

Anybody been in UPPER TICABOO CANYON recently or ever? How does the pothole section compare with Quandary's direct? Ideas on water conditions right now? I hear things are pretty dry out there right now...

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

This may or may not help but we were out there about a year ago. We were able to bypass the rappels leading up the pot hole section. We bypassed those first two rappels on the left LDC. The pothole section has 8 linked PH's most of which could be surmounted with potshot, pack tosses or partner assists. The original beta indicated the use of a long rope across all potholes as a way of crossing them. We did not complete the canyon because of time constraints. Right before the start of the pothole section there is a spot that you can climb up that puts you over and to the left of the pothole section that gives a great view from above. This view will give you the ability to assess the condition of the potholes. There is a cool section on the other side of the potholes that allows one to rappel past the potholes. When we were there three of them were almost full of water.
    When we first arrived we attempted to get as close to the top of the canyon as possible by driving up the road that parallels the canyon left LUC. It is really rough in places and there is one nasty section that drops into a wash that I got my xterra stuck hard and high centered , one of the reasons we did not complete the canyon. I would not drive that section again.

Doug F.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Beta available here: http://ajroadtrips.com/go/t/utah/powell/upper-ticaboo

I thought Ryan did a good job on this writeup.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by USofCS View Post
    Anybody been in UPPER TICABOO CANYON recently or ever? How does the pothole section compare with Quandary's direct? Ideas on water conditions right now? I hear things are pretty dry out there right now...

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Yes, I have been there.

It is very different than Quandary. There are no pothole escape problems. There are anchor problems. Helps to have a omnisling or fiddlestick, because pulling the rope through, with all those potholes, would be very difficult. Without, you would need to build some intermediate anchors, and there is very little material available for that.

Doing the canyon, and not doing the potholes is like not doing the canyon.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Yes, I have been there.

It is very different than Quandary. There are no pothole escape problems. There are anchor problems. Helps to have a omnisling or fiddlestick, because pulling the rope through, with all those potholes, would be very difficult. Without, you would need to build some intermediate anchors, and there is very little material available for that.

Doing the canyon, and not doing the potholes is like not doing the canyon.

Tom
    Tom, what is a fiddlestick?

Nat

Quote Originally Posted by nat View Post
    Tom, what is a fiddlestick?

Nat
    The Fiddlestick is a new anchor device we are working on, in prototype mode. If you get out with Ram or I this summer, we can show it to you. It allows releasing from the top, and leaving nothing behind, and using some things you would not think of using.

Tom