Thread: U Turn Canyon--Arches National Park--Spring Break 2012--April 10th

U Turn Canyon--Arches National Park--Spring Break 2012--April 10th

It was Spring Break time again, and time for our annual trip to Moab to play. We took a break from the usual atv/motocross riding and hiking to try out our new family activity.

We've been collecting gear and getting educated for the last 9 months and it was finally time to try it out. I had seen the excellent TR's on U Turn and wanted to see it for myself. We invited my brother-in-law Doug who had experience as a climber and was able to help out considerably. Before I proceed any further, I fully realize Doug is not wearing a helmet and although I don't agree, that is a decision he can make on his own. Doug mentioned that he is considering purchasing one and I fully support him on that.

This was our first time in any canyon that required ropes and we certainly learned a lot. First of all, when the time needed says 2 to 4 hours, I will plan on 6--at least until we get better at it. We ended up rigging the last rap as the sun was going down and rapped it in the dark. While my kids seemed to enjoy it, it was a bit unnerving for me. I also wished we had practiced on a gentle slope beforehand to get the basics down...just didn't work out that way and as a result, we ended up using a tandem rappel which actually worked out pretty well in this situation.

Overall, we had an incredibly fun time and my boys talk about it all the time and are already asking about next time.

Headed up the approach crack.

View of bowl from top.

From the ridge line looking south.

My brother-in-law Doug.

Walking along the natural sidewalk around the 1st dome.

Gorgeous day! Love the evening sun on the Entrada.

We arrived at the first rappel and found a single anchor under this large boulder.

Rigging the first rappel.

My youngest son Trevor (just turned 5)--I think that's supposed to be a "hook'em horns" (my wife's from Austin).

From L to R--My other two sons Brandon (almost 9) and Justin (11).

Doug went first.

Brandon on his first rappel ever.

Justin wasn't quite ready to solo, so I decided to lower him with a top belay. Ended up not working so well.

Trevor wasn't ready to solo either, so I clipped him to my harness and down we went. I soon realized that we needed to do something different.

My wife Nancy was the last to rap. We were now all down the first rappel and ready for the next.

The second rap was from 2 bolts on left (LDC) with good webbing.

We cut some webbing into short slings and tried our first tandem rappel. Doug took Justin down first. Worked very well.

So far so good.

Now it was time for Trevor and I. Trevor was very nervous but didn't cry at all.

He managed to get out a "see ya at the bottom mom". Tandem rap worked very well again and confidence level went way up.

Brandon sailed down the 2nd rap.

He went down double strand and it was just too much friction. He had to feed the line in all the way down.

Nancy followed everyone and we pulled the rope.

Everyone having a good time.

Looking for the 3rd rap.

Brandon about to experience his first free-hanging rap.

We couldn't find the anchors described in the beta, so we wrapped a sling around a large boulder and rapped down the waterway that had a 15' free-hanging drop. By this time the sun was going down pretty quick.

Tandem rap again in action. Thanks to those in other posts for the suggestion--it worked great and felt very safe.

Justin's first free-hanging rap.

Got to the 4th rap just in time to rig it before the sun went down. We rapped down from the anchors by the large boulder that goes over the gentle slope to a two tier free hanging rap. Webbing looked good. Beta says 65', but it seemed longer than that...

Nancy and Trevor tandem rapping in the dark.

Trevor seemed a lot more comfortable on this last rap.

Brandon descending solo again. I blocked it off with a biner block so he could go down single strand. He tried double at the top and with the weight of the rope couldn't even move.

Thank goodness for the headlamps.

Justin and I tandem rapping to the canyon floor. Justin was by then a lot more comfortable and having a good time.

We pulled the rope and in about 20 minutes of laughing and talking about the great time we just had were back at the Tahoe and on our way to the Moab Diner.

What a fantastic day!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow, looks like a great trip. Thanks for sharing! Sweet pics, too

Very nice. Thanks for the TR

Awesome
    - Gavin

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    nice tr, glad the first outing was a positive one for all.

Sweet TR and cool kids!
    THX for sharing.

Glad you and the kids had a good time. Keep after it. Your kids will get the rappels figured out, and once they do, their confidence will soar. Nice TR.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PG Rob View Post
    Glad you and the kids had a good time.
    Thanks PG Rob--I really enjoyed and appreciate your TR from last year with all the kids. It was fun for my boys to look at it again after having done it.

Looks fun for all.

I have similar aged kids, what harnesses are you using for them?

Quote Originally Posted by hike.higher View Post
    Looks fun for all.

I have similar aged kids, what harnesses are you using for them?
    My 11 year old is large framed and uses a BD Momentum AL size Small.

My 8 year old is slender and uses a BD Whiz Kid--only 1 size (I believe) and has plenty of room to grow.

My 5 year old uses the BD full body harness (not sure if they still make it or not--bought it on Ebay).

I have been pleased with them all and the boys like them a lot better that the swiss seats we made.

Very cool, thanks for posting. Great to see you safely taking your family through such a memorable experience.