Thread: Tune up a front fork, air pressure, etc

Tune up a front fork, air pressure, etc

I've never been much of one for maintenance on my bikes, putting lube on the chain and lowering my seat is about as far as I go

So on the Kona I've got a Marzocchi Bomber Dirt Jumper III and I did a little light research and couldn't come up with a recommended air pressure. After the ride down Skyline last week it was extremely bumpy.

I put the air shock pump gauge on and it read 0 PSI so that's a good place to start. I put in 100 PSI and it was way too much, lowered it to 50 and I guess it feels OK. What's the ratio per my weight? I'm currently at 215 lbs. I'd like it to sit more at an All Mountain setting rather than cross country.

And on the other side is the oil bath? I took off the cap and have no idea what to do with this, should it be full to a certain extent, should I change out the fluid once in a while?

How can I check if my seals are bad? I've been hanging it upside down from the garage ceiling for a while, like I did with the Klein for 10 years... but I've just recently got a pulley system to hang it upright which also makes it easy to lower it for eye level maintenance and inspection.

Name:  2012-04-14 15.03.31&.jpg
Views: 11378
Size:  37.9 KB

Name:  2012-04-14 15.03.57&.jpg
Views: 12653
Size:  37.7 KB

Name:  2012-04-14 15.02.59&.jpg
Views: 12147
Size:  130.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I think another part of the equation is tire air pressure as well. I'm trying to figure that out as well. Looking forward to the responses here.

Not sure about your exact fork, but most forks recomend a 25% sag when sitting on the bike as a good starting point and then adjust from there accordingly. This can hard to do by yourself. As for the oil, don't fill it to he top, most forks only take onces. You'll have to find the exact amount online or call a local shop and see if they'll part with the info.

Looks like they have all of the data online in their tech section http://www.marzocchi.com/template/li...K&IDFolder=229
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Quote Originally Posted by bigred72 View Post
    I think another part of the equation is tire air pressure as well. I'm trying to figure that out as well. Looking forward to the responses here.
    What tire setup are you running? Tubes or tubeless? How much do you weigh? For example: I run tubeless now and I weigh 210lbs. I run pressure at 27 rear / 25 front. When I ran tubes, I ran 35 rear / 32 front.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by DOSS View Post
    Looks like they have all of the data online in their tech section http://www.marzocchi.com/template/li...K&IDFolder=229
    Thanks for the link, I ran into this before and have no idea how to read this:

Dirt Jumper 3 0 - 1,00 (0,00 - 14,50)

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Thanks for the link, I ran into this before and have no idea how to read this:

Dirt Jumper 3 0 - 1,00 (0,00 - 14,50)
    Since you are working in PSI, and you weigh over 200 you should be between 14 and 50 PSI (14 at 187lbs and 50 at 231lbs) I would start at 45 psi based on your weight and go from there.

those charts are lame to read I agree. As for your oil.. its cheap and gets dirty so I would change it once a year..
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"