Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Razorback (Hog 3) and Cheesebox

  1. #1

    Razorback (Hog 3) and Cheesebox

    Last weekend, some friends and I descended Cheesebox canyon. A couple of the guys I went with had shorty wet-suits. The breeze on the approach, and upper part of the canyon had me worried for a little while, but we went in and discovered the canyon to be very dry. I'm guessing it was uncharacteristic for the canyon to be so dry, from the beta I have read. Anyway, it was a nice easy jaunt through. The next day we headed down to The Hogs and decided to make a run down Razorback. I had heard this one is the most fun out of the Hogs, and it turned out to be a blast. Very short, and very sweet. Pretty challenging for how short of a canyon it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #2

  4. #3
    Outdoorsman ghawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City area
    Posts
    295
    - Gavin

  5. #4
    Mountain Man ilipichicuma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jeju Island, South Korea
    Posts
    504
    Great work!
    --Cliff

  6. #5
    Sweet TR! Great photos! What kind of camera & lens did you use?

    Bob

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Sweet TR! Great photos! What kind of camera & lens did you use?

    Bob
    I'm not sure honestly. My friend had a digital camera and I had an android incredible. Haha. It still looks good though.

  8. #7
    Trail Master hikster11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Jordan
    Posts
    155
    Great pics

  9. #8
    I'm thinking of doing Cheesebox in 2 weeks. How was the road getting off the highway? I have a toyota corolla. Do you think I'll make it?

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1 View Post
    I'm thinking of doing Cheesebox in 2 weeks. How was the road getting off the highway? I have a toyota corolla. Do you think I'll make it?
    I highly doubt you will make it. The first part of the road is pretty dang rough. I think it has gotten worse than what most of the beta I've seen suggests. We were thinking of taking a scion tc, but had a truck instead. Good thing!

  11. #10
    Beautiful in there!

    Ken

  12. #11
    Thanks for the info Dan. Do you have any suggestions for any canyons in the area which might have an easier 2WD approach? I've done the black hole and Fry, and would like to stay around Cedar or Moab. I'm up for technical and wet suit canyons, preferably with some cools slots, raps, and maybe ruins. I’ve been looking around online at several canyons, but it’s always better to get first hand beta.
    Awesome pictures by the way. Thanks for sharing!

  13. #12
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Quiet and charming: Mount Carmel
    Posts
    6,453
    Cowboy canyon into Gravel can be done from the south side of the highway without too much pain. Starting to get hot out there, though.

    Tom
    ____________________________________

  14. #13
    Ah so it was your faint tracks I followed about a week ago. I am guessing the canyon picked up a bit of water since you were there, I was surprised to swim more than I waded. For those without high clearance vehicles I understand this canyon can still be done from they hwy via entering at the confluence with White canyon. Although that could make for a fairly long day.

  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Ah so it was your faint tracks I followed about a week ago. I am guessing the canyon picked up a bit of water since you were there, I was surprised to swim more than I waded. For those without high clearance vehicles I understand this canyon can still be done from they hwy via entering at the confluence with White canyon. Although that could make for a fairly long day.
    Grizz,
    Which canyon are you talking about that had more swimming than wading? And when exactly was that?
    Penny

  16. #15
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Quiet and charming: Mount Carmel
    Posts
    6,453
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Ah so it was your faint tracks I followed about a week ago. I am guessing the canyon picked up a bit of water since you were there, I was surprised to swim more than I waded. For those without high clearance vehicles I understand this canyon can still be done from they hwy via entering at the confluence with White canyon. Although that could make for a fairly long day.
    Context Grizz --- we need some Context... (use the Reply with Quote)

    Tom
    ____________________________________

  17. #16
    It's got to be cheesebox he is talking about. I don't think Hog 3 would get more than one wade generally right? Well there was swimming when I went too, so I guess I should say dry-ish for a full 4/3 wetsuit prepardness level.

    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Context Grizz --- we need some Context... (use the Reply with Quote)

    Tom

  18. #17
    I agree I don't think he meant Hog 3. That would be quite something and worth a trip to see.
    My confusion comes in did he mean Cheesebox or did he mean Cowboy which Tom mentions in the post prior.
    With the dry conditions, if there is swimming in Cowboy that could make me rethink what I am wearing this weekend.
    If there is 'more swimming than wading' in Cheese Box that doesn't necessarily mean there is more water than what Dan-wild has reported. It could mean that the few wades have dried up leaving 'more swims than wades'.
    At this point it probably doesn't matter. The forecast is for temps in the low 70s which means a wetsuit is probably going to make it a more comfortable trip.

  19. #18
    My applogies there were several other canyons mentioned in the OP and following. I was refering to Cheesebox on 4/21. I didn't have a wetsuit and so I got briefly cold but there was always blessed warm sunlight around the corner. And the temps were in the low 80's.

  20. #19
    Canyon Wrangler canyoncaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    contact between limestone and sandstone
    Posts
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1 View Post
    Do you have any suggestions for any canyons in the area which might have an easier 2WD approach? I've done the black hole and Fry, and would like to stay around Cedar or Moab. ![/FONT][/SIZE]
    Duckett Slot can be done from the highway. If the dirt road is in good shape, you could drive quite a bit closer. When we did it, a flood in White Canyon had wiped out the crossing. It was a 4 foot drop-off from the tunnel into the wash -too much even for the 4WDs we had. So we parked at the lot on the highway, and it really was not a bad road walk up to the canyon head. Bonus was that when we exited Duckett into White Canyon, we just walked up White back to the cars. It is a good trip from the highway. Maybe a couple of miles on the dirt road but not too bad. Duckett Slot is in the Mini-Slot Guide. Also on that list is Morocco Canyon, which also can be done from pavement.

  21. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by canyoncaver View Post
    Duckett Slot can be done from the highway. If the dirt road is in good shape, you could drive quite a bit closer. When we did it, a flood in White Canyon had wiped out the crossing. It was a 4 foot drop-off from the tunnel into the wash -too much even for the 4WDs we had. So we parked at the lot on the highway, and it really was not a bad road walk up to the canyon head. Bonus was that when we exited Duckett into White Canyon, we just walked up White back to the cars. It is a good trip from the highway. Maybe a couple of miles on the dirt road but not too bad. Duckett Slot is in the Mini-Slot Guide. Also on that list is Morocco Canyon, which also can be done from pavement.

    Good Info. here! I love Morocco canyon. You get a great bang for your buck in there. Very scenic rappels, cool rock formations, stemming, wading, possible swim in one place, a fun handline DC. It's a winner. I have never down duckett, how is it?

Similar Threads

  1. [Trip Report] Cheesebox, Mid. Lep, Eardley and Medival Chamber
    By mrbrejcha in forum Canyoneering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-20-2007, 08:57 AM
  2. [Trip Report] East Fork Cheesebox
    By rockgremlin in forum Canyoneering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-31-2006, 08:33 AM
  3. [Trip Report] Cheesebox (west fork)
    By rockgremlin in forum Canyoneering
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-16-2006, 03:29 PM
  4. Weekend Cheesebox Trip
    By Iceaxe in forum Canyoneering
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-04-2006, 08:33 AM
  5. Cheesebox Route Questions
    By Iceaxe in forum Canyoneering
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-31-2006, 09:34 AM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •