Thread: Good easy hikes in Great Basin National Park?

Good easy hikes in Great Basin National Park?

I'm headed to Great Basin National Park the first part of May. Our group is in need of some recommendations on some good hikes that are pretty easy for kids and family. Any Suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

They are probably trails you've already looked at, but I love all the little hikes around Stella, Teresa, and Brown lakes. They are right in the shadow of Wheeler Peak and are good for kids. You really can't beat the surreal landscape of the Bristlecone Grove with 4,000 year old trees! I thought that was a typo the first time I read that. If the kids are up for it, the hike up to the glacier is very cool but a bit rugged toward the top.

They are probably trails you've already looked at, but I love all the little
    hikes around Stella, Teresa, and Brown lakes. They are right in the shadow of
    Wheeler Peak and are good for kids. You really can't beat the surreal landscape
    of the Bristlecone Grove with 4,000 year old trees! I thought that was a typo
    the first time I read that. If the kids are up for it, the hike up to the
    glacier is very cool but a bit rugged toward the top.
    The road to all of those hikes isn't open until Memorial Day weekend (unless this year is different-but likely not). You can still access the trails via the Lehman Creek Trail, but it will be an extra 8 miles round trip.

Lexington Arch might be a possibility. Big Wash too. Possibly Timber Creek, but it's mostly just a forest hike.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Ill look into those. We are planning to do Lehman cave as well. Are there other caves that you can do with first timers that might not be guided?

Are there other caves that you can do with first timers that might not be
    guided?
    Yes, but you have to know where they are. Root Cave is fairly easy to find (if it's still open), but you have to be skinny to squeeze in. Snake Creek Cave is easy to find since it's on all the maps, but it has a lot of animal crap to crawl through (or at least did years ago). Other caves are better.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Well hopefully things are open by May!

Well hopefully things are open by May!
    The road to Lehman Cave will be open. The road to the rest of the main sites in the park (Wheeler Icefield, Bristlecones, Stella, Teresa Lake, Wheeler Peak trails etc. is never open that early. This year is dry, but most likely the gate will still be locked before at least Memorial Day Weekend (as it always is).

See below under "Roads-Wheeler Peak Scenic Drive":

http://www.nps.gov/grba/planyourvisit/hours.htm