Thread: HTP rope.

HTP rope.

I'm looking for an economical second rope for my canyon adventures. My primary rope is a sterling C-IV and my back up has been a semi retired climbing rope. I've rarely had to use it but when I do, it kinda sucks. I'm looking to get another rope to replace it. I want something that is fairly economical and I've got a hookup on 9mm sterling HTP at a great price. Any reason I shouldn't get this rope for the purposes described? I'm also considering a longer length of it for ultra raps (>200').

Your thoughts.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I like Tom's Canyonero. If it lasts much longer than other ropes because of the "sheath-heavy" design, then it is quite economical.

""The Canyonero is longer lasting (than the 8mm and 8.3mm) and easier for everyone to use, for just a little more weight. We also gave it a few more core strands, so it has a rated strength of 5000 lbs as required by the BSA and other youth programs.""

I'm currently using an HTP as one of my primary ropes and have come to really like it... I was concerned about how well it would handle abrasion since it's fairly pliable, which typically means a looser weave, although, after using it, it's become a favorite... It definitely doesn't compare to the pliability and/or abrasion resistance of the C-IV or Canyon Tech, but it's 2/3 the cost...

I freakin love my C-IV and found more of it at a decent price but I'd have to buy either 200' or 600'. I'm just looking for a 300'. I can get the 9mm htp for about $.64/ft. The C-IV for about $.85/ft. I also want ropes of different colors so if for any reason I need to know which rope is which in an emergency. But if the htp is an occasional use rope, that may be the way I go. Thanks for your thoughts.

I bought a spool of blue 9 mm HTP a couple years ago which I use as primary, and have really liked it.

You can get 9mm PMI Pit rope for around $.60/ foot at onrope1.com and it is incredible, its like a nylon version of steel cable. It's very sheath heavy similar to Imlay ropes, so its not very supple and difficult to tie knots in sometimes. I have used both 3/8" Sterling HTP and 9mm PMI Pit Rope and in my opinion for the price you cannot beat PMI rope.
    "Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible" --Reinhold Messner

I actually just bought 300' of canyon fire for $.70/ft. This'll work:) thanks for the input.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ndonaldj View Post
    9mm PMI Pit rope

It's very sheath heavy similar to Imlay ropes, ...
    I don't think so. I could find not source that said it was a sheath-heavy design. And it is nylon rather than polyester. I am unclear on how the ropes are similar.

Perhaps this is somewhat picayune, but... I am, after all, a rope-nerd, and proud of my work as a rope designer.

Tom

PMI Pit Rope, Sport, and Talon rope all have a 16 carrier sheath design making them very sheath heavy. PMI doesn't say this on their website, it may be in the catalogue, but it is pretty common knowledge among cavers. The construction of the sheaths was the similarity I was talking about, they are both pretty stiff and burly. PMI is by far the stoutest rope I have ever used though.
    "Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible" --Reinhold Messner

Do you get pmi with the maxwear sheath? Seems like a reasonable upgrade.

Tom, can we expect to see a technora sheathed rope from your line any time soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    I actually just bought 300' of canyon fire for $.70/ft. This'll work:) thanks for the input.
    Where did you find the rope for this price?

I didn't pay sticker price. I did a little finaglin' and bought a few additional items. I did notice that recreation outlet (in store) has it for about $.80. Not too bad

Quote Originally Posted by ndonaldj View Post
    9mm PMI Pit rope
    You must mean the PMI 9mm max-wear sport rope. Pit rope is 11mm, just the one size available as far as I know. The max-wear ropes are very very tough and will last a long time. Think of them as a cross between a cable and a rope. They certainly have a different feel on rappel. They are more likely to come off the horns of a Pirana than a softer rope. One up-side to the stiffness is that they are easy to untie no matter how hard you weight them. I've yet to see a core shot on one.