Thread: Quandary direct

Quandary direct

I spent the weekend with my family in the Swell over Easter. Friday the 5th my brother Bryce and I hiked Quandary direct. This was my first time down Quandary and it was great. The canyon was almost completely dry. All water was avoidable with a little work. All anchors and webbing were in good shape. I only had to redo the dead man before the fist big keeper. This was a lot of fun because; this is the biggest pot hole I had ever come across. I tossed a pot shot across then repelled into the hole and tied off just above the water. I was than able the climb up the rope tied to my pot shot. Did this without getting my feet wet and this pot hole was deep. There were a few other pot holes with water that were a little tricky. We ate lunch at the bottom of Quandary then started our way to Ramp Canyon. It was really windy when we started a climb up to Quandary, but once in the canyon and the rest of the day the wind had stopped. Turn out to a very nice day. I used Climb-Utah beta for this trip and was well prepared. Great site and well defined. I had little more weight in my pack than needed. Was not sure how hard the pot holes were going to be the get out of, so I had lots of stuff. If this canyon was half full or full it would be totally different. Took us 7 hours to complete our route.
    Attached Images Attached Images                                           

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice TR and pictures. This looks like one I need to put on my list. Too bad I didn't know you were in the area maybe we could have hooked up on Saturday.

Nice TR! You only used one Potshot to skirt that pothole? If so, nice job!

Did you use any other noteworthy tricks or techniques?

Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Nice TR
    - Gavin

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Great pics, nice pack!

Tom

One pot shot was all I needed. I used an ascender to climb the rope so I had good hand holds.

Love the pack and all Imlay gear

Nice, Duane. Thanks for sharing

That next to last photo has some really nice "grain/design" in the sandstone. Nice job using the potshot and avoiding the water.

Not sure how I missed this from years past. These are some awesome pics, really tells the story of adventure. I'd love to do more canyons in this area when time permits.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkBad View Post
    Not sure how I missed this from years past. These are some awesome pics, really tells the story of adventure. I'd love to do more canyons in this area when time permits.
    Quandary is a fun canyon. I have done most in that area of the Swell. The Squeeze and Quandary are my favorite in that area. Next time I do Quandary I will go up Knotted Rope instead of Ramp Canyon. That would make for a very fun day

I need to get out to the S. Swell more often. I've only done a few canyons out there. Quandary/ K. Rope are high on my list. Maybe someday we could hit up that route together?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WorkBad View Post
    I need to get out to the S. Swell more often. I've only done a few canyons out there. Quandary/ K. Rope are high on my list. Maybe someday we could hit up that route together?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Yes Pm sent

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk