Thread: Need help finding trip in Northern/Central Utah April 19-21

Need help finding trip in Northern/Central Utah April 19-21

My friend and I are looking for a place to go on a 3-day trip next week. We want to go to the mountains, but we're not sure how high the snow level will be right now. How high is it feasible to go? We'd kinda like to try to hike in Thursday, maybe bag a peak or at least some sort of fun day hike on Friday, come back to camp Friday night, and hike out Saturday. Would be nice if we could make camp at a lake. Any good ideas? Good places to find southern exposure/less chance of losing the trail under snow? We'd also like it to be at least somewhat remote. I don't want to bag a peak only to look down at a city....

We'd like to try to make that work, but if it just won't we're willing to default to Southern Utah. Any good ideas down there? Good places where we wouldn't have to carry all our own water?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

April in Utah you head to the desert.

Moab, Canyonloands, Cedar Mesa, San Rafael Swell, Robbers Roost..

If you do want the mountains, try the House Range. Notch Peak is a favorite and probably doesn't have too much snow. Howell Peak and Tatow Knob are also nice. For an extended backpack you can do Swasey Peak to Marjum Pass.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been looking and looking at southern Utah and there doesn't seem to be anything ideal, not to mention I'm kinda thinking canyons aren't really my thing and that's all I seem to be able to find down there. Do you know where I could find a route description to get from Swasey Peak to Marjum Pass? Or any other good trips for that matter? I looking for 7-10 miles the first day, 10-15 day 2 and another 10-15 day 3. Or maybe hiking in, spending a day exploring, and hiking out day 3? Or even car camping the first night, then just an overnighter for days 2 and 3.

Snow is up over 8000 so you can go pretty high and still find dry ground to camp on.
    We rode up Cobble Creek in Ogden Valley Saturday. Lots of deer and moose still in the 7000 foot level. The elk had already moved up higher.
    Found lots of sheds, mostly from mule deer, but one nice set of moose antlers.

Here we are at the top of the ride looking into Browns Hole.

The snow was mostly still where it had collected as a cornice during the winter. or on north faces in the shade.