Thread: Smithfield Canyon

Smithfield Canyon

Has anybody ever done this?

I'm looking for some beta on this. How many miles? Do you need to shuttle? Etc.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
    Has anybody ever done this?

I'm looking for some beta on this. How many miles? Do you need to shuttle? Etc.
    Smithfield Canyon is a great road ride. The canyon itself is only 4ish miles long at a 4-6% grade. Not too bad. The downhill return is awesome. It's not so steep to be scary fast but you can maintain 30+ mph very easily. There is very little traffic, but the road is narrow and this time of year there is a fair amount of debris so a little caution is warranted. This is a very common route for road cyclists in Cache Valley.

I had some training for work today up in Logan so I went up after and did this ride. It was going to be either that or green canyon, but I figured green would be too wet / muddy with all the rain. I was going to start at lundstrom park and make it 24 miles, but the weather turned right as I was getting out of my training. So I decided to just drive to smithfield and do the canyon portion. It was an awesome ride! Not too steep on the up-hill, and not too fast on the downhill to make it scary. The road was wet and a little messy with debris but you could easily pick a clear path. It started pouring right as I got to my car so I timed it just right. I can't wait to get back up there and try it again when it's dryer. Thanks @neilether for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
    It was going to be either that or green canyon, but I figured green would be too wet / muddy with all the rain.
    I'm glad you liked it. A small group of us rode up there again today and had a great time. Good call on avoiding Green Canyon, it would have been quite muddy.