Thread: Spring Snowpack Totals: Scary

Spring Snowpack Totals: Scary

Ugliest I have seen in my time in the west (10 years). Evidently this is like 2002 when I wasn't in Utah. Sounds like the winds have sublimated much of the snowpack water on top of a weak winter. Wishing I was in Northern Idaho for the season.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Meanwhile, AK is getting record snow-fall. That's just the way the cycle works.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Blog Entries
    It's gonna be a hot hot hot hot hot hot summer that's for sure. Here's hoping to lots of rain this year :)
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

It's the end of the world...we're all gonna die.

8. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    Meanwhile, AK is getting record snow-fall. That's just the way the cycle works.
    From what I understand this isn't a common cycle even for a relatively dry year in the intermountain west. Much of the data is shocking if you look at the difference between snow depth and snow water equivalent. The winds this year have been unusual in the amount of sublimation and correlated water loss. Parts of the SW Colorado mountains have been experiencing 5% water loss per day.

As for the good side....it not just Alaska. Oregon, Washington and Idaho are all average or above average this year. Heck, the Rogue basin just got 10 inches of moisture in many of its basins and tribs.

Could be hard for many municipalities and local economies. Take the Arkansas River basin. Its the most popular whitewater run in the nation considering pure numbers. They have a recreational/economic dam release contract that isn't likely to be usable this year. We are talking millions of dollars alone for that one section of river. That doesn't include the smaller basins that rely on shuttle companies, outfitters, gas stations and grocery stores that outfit trips across Utah and Colorado that are likely to be canceled this year.

Or the wildfire season that will stress federal budgets. Tight water schedules along the Denver front range.

I am sure its happened before but that doesn't make easier for anyone dealing with its realities. Folks will obviously weather it out (drum roll) but I still have sympathy for these regions. And myself.....less time on the river this season

Phillip

Pineview is open, get yer boats de-winterized!

I would be more concerned if this were the 2nd or 3rd year in a row. I think our water managers in Utah have done a great job. Seems like all the major bodies of water are full or mostly full right now. (Haven't looked at Powell). I am not too concerned right now as we have no clue what the Spring or Summer will bring.
    Life is Good

12. Likes blueeyes liked this post