Thread: Idaho Regatta 2012

Idaho Regatta 2012

Every year I tell you guys this is the best thing happening in June! The Burley Boat Races (Idaho Regatta) are really a lot of fun the entire family can enjoy.

The event is held on the Snake River at a local park so you can sit on the grass and enjoy the show.
    June 22-24, 2012

The Burley Bestwestern is my favorite place to stay.
    Burley Best Western (208) 678-3501

They also open up one of the local parks to camping for those on a budget.

It is one of the best events of the year!!!

Pics from 2010...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks for sharing the videos, I need to go see that in person someday. When I go to the snake river, I am usually floating it in my driftboat with a flyrod in hand.

Many of my customers are in the Burley, Twin Falls area. Looks like I will have to schedule some sales calls that week.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

Bump... only 20 days.

Can't wait. My son and I are coming from Washington and camping at the races. Curious if any of you know where I might be able to top off my RV water tank when we we close? I hate to haul all that extra weight the 900 miles we're going to be traveling.

Thanks a bunch and see you there.........John

Name:  Burley Boat Race.jpg
Views: 2350
Size:  266.2 KB

June 22,23,24 on the beautiful Snake River in Burley, Idaho. Three days of the fastest inboard circle boat racing in the United States. This year Burley will host the American Powerboat Association Flatbottom National Championships. The event includes: K Racing Runabouts, Super Stocks, Pro Stocks, Crackerboxes, Sportsman E, Comp Jets, Grand Nationals, 2.5 Liter Hydroplanes, & 1 Liter Hydroplanes. We also have amateur flatbottom (Nostalgia 95) and jet boat (nostalgia jet) classes for new racers to try the racing experience.

Thursday June 21st, Morey's Steak House will be hosting a "show & shine", where the public can see the race boats up close and personal. Morey's will also have live bands, delicious food, and drink specials every evening of the race weekend.

We offer campsites for RV and tent camping near the racesite. For reservations contact Peggy at rvrrat@pmt.org or telephone (208)670-3730.

Ticket prices: Adult Single Day Pass $25, Adult Weekend Pass $45 (good for all three days of the event). Friday Fan Appreciation Day is $5 for testing and heat racing. Kids 12 and under are free all three days of the event. Save $3 by purchasing advanced tickets at: Stinker Stations, DL Evans Bank, or the Mini-Cassia Chamber of Commerce.

Motels:
    Fairfield Inn & Suites (208)677-5000
    Best Western Burley Inn (208)678-3501
    Budget Motel (208)678-2200
    Super 8 (208)678-7000
    Please direct any questions to Mark at (208)312-3133

Race fuel can be purchased from United Oil on a pre-order basis. Please contact Gary Cavender with your order. (208)734-2631 (208)731-7015
    garycavender@unitedoil.net

http://www.idahoregatta.org/

It looks like I am going to make it this year

Watch for my buddy in the Superstock SS501

My hot young stripper wife has some SS501 gear and she looks so fine in it....

I love the smell of methanal in the morning.

Regatta returns to Mini-Cassia

BURLEY - More than 60 boaters from across the United States will make a splash during the upcoming regatta during which the American Power Boat Association Championship will also be held.

“Whoever wins here is crowned the Summer National Champion. It’s the incentive to come here,” Chairman of the Idaho Regatta Committee Mark Moyle said.

This is the second time the championships have been held here with the first being held in 1982.

“Out of all 50 states, they picked little old Idaho,” he said.

The 37th annual Regatta will be held from Friday, June 22, through Sunday, June 24. You can save $3 by purchasing tickets at Stinker stations, D.L. Evans Bank and the Mini-Cassia Chamber of Commerce for $25 a day or $45 for a weekend pass. Friday, June 22, is Fan Appreciation Day with tickets being sold for $5. Throughout the event, children 12 and under may attend the Regatta free of charge.

“It’s a family friendly event. The economy is tight right now and we want to make it so everybody can come,” he said.

Racers pay a $200 entry fee to participate while race officials return that money and an additional $300 to each competitor at the conclusion of the event.

“We call that tow money. It gives the incentive for the racers to come. They spend tens of thousands of dollars on their boats, and what we pay them – it’s very little. They appreciate it, and it provides some help to get them here,” Moyle said.

Morey’s Steakhouse kicks off the Regatta at 6 p.m., Thursday, June 21 where boats will be on display for the public. On Saturday, racing begins at 5 p.m. Ten different classes will compete in the event.

Those classes include Super Stock, Pro Stock, Competition Jet, K-Racing Run Abouts and Crackerboxes Each boasts 1200 horse power and reaches speeds up to 150 miles per hour.

Unlike the other boat races, during Crackerbox, two people are on board the boat. Two people piloted Crackerboxes during Prohibition when rum runners ferried illegal booze from Canada to the United States. A mechanic rode along to secure the main fuel pump and to keep an eye on the engine
    “It’s an historic fact. If you don’t believe me, Google it,” he said. We did, and he was right. “I’m full of useless trivia,” he joked.

While the Regatta proves popular among racers, what really draws them here are the fans who are more than just spectators, Moyle said.

“The people really make the racers feel welcome. A spectator just watches the race. Someone here watching the race gets really excited about it, follows the sport and has an interest. The people who come out and watch, they know the boats,” he said.

Powerboat racing proves a huge skill. It’s not something you can just suddenly decide to do one day. It takes practice.

“Most people don’t realize how much you get beat up out there. It’s just all the pounding in the boat and the going back and forth with the waves. You’re under a lot of stress when you’re running along side eight other boats. It’s not only hard on you physically, it’s mentally challenging,” he said.
    The water is as unpredictable.

“It is very unforgiving at those speeds. Power boating is the most dangerous motor sport in the world.

You can’t be entirely encased like you are in a stockcar. Even if you’re strapped in, there’s the danger of drowning. If you hit someone else, it’s catastrophic,” he said.

No one has been killed during a Burley Regatta, but a few racers – including Moyle - have wound up in the hospital.

“I’ve been thrown out once and broke some ribs. Nothing major,” he insisted.

The Regatta has only been cancelled twice in the nearly four decades it’s been held. Flooding during the late 1990s and heavy debris in the water last year pulled the plug on the race. That cancellation took a bite out of the economy. It’s been estimated the Regatta brings in just under half of $1 million a year.

“We’ve had studies done by CSI where they estimated that the Regatta brings in $300,000 each summer. When it got cancelled last year, it hurt the economy. All these race teams stay in hotels, eat in restaurants, fuel at gas tanks. They spend a lot of money,” he said.

Moyle also loves to race and plans to do so during the upcoming Regatta.

“At least for me – I can’t speak for all the racers – but it’s the going fast and trying to control something on the water at that speed. It makes my heart pump a little faster,” he said.

When one race ends, Moyle starts planning for the following year’s race. Sponsorships as well as entry fees help cover the race’s costs.

Residents have been asking if the Regatta will be held this year.

“The Regatta is definitely happening. It’s going to be bigger and better than ever,” he said.

For more information call Moyle at 312-3133 or log on to idahoregatta.org