Thread: Buckskin Gulch - April 6 & 7

Buckskin Gulch - April 6 & 7

*No* water whatsoever in Buckskin this past weekend. Muddy remnants of once-standing pools are evident, but your feet are gonna stay dry. No ropes or webbing were necessary for us. When you get to the rockfall, don't go left and use the fraying red and white rope that has been there for who knows how long (too long)--simply slip down the rabbit hole smack dab in the middle of the canyon (you more or less walk right up to it), crawl under a boulder, and you're free. It helps to take your packs off and hand them down. The spring near the confluence is running like usual, and our camp even got a good deal of sunshine at mid-day. The maples are leafing out and things are beginning to look a lot like summer in there. The Paria was *fiercely* cold first thing in the morning. Even with neoprene socks and a swift pace, we were all a bit uncomfortable after only 10 minutes of walking downstream in it on a photo jaunt. Thankfully by early afternoon it warmed up a great deal, and the hike up and out to Whitehouse campground was pleasant and easy going.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odgc-...aaAUAAAAAAAAAA
    Last edited by plutacratic77; 04-12-2012 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Added video

2. Likes jdgibney liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'll be there in the near future.

I've made the mistake of using the webbing on the rockfall. It is very easy to just slip underneath like plutacratic describes.

Quote Originally Posted by rcrockett View Post
    I've made the mistake of using the webbing on the rockfall. It is very easy to just slip underneath like plutacratic describes.
    Sometimes it is and sometimes it is not... the rabbit hole often becomes clogged with debris. About 5 years ago it became clogged so solid I didn't think it would ever open up again. Happy to hear it did.

Thanks for the info! We'll be there next week (4/23-24) and will try to update with the conditions we find. I'm hoping it will still be pretty dry!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Sometimes it is and sometimes it is not... the rabbit hole often becomes clogged with debris. About 5 years ago it became clogged so solid I didn't think it would ever open up again. Happy to hear it did.

Oh, that makes sense.

Anyone have a more recent report of water conditions in Buckskin?

I'm not supposed to get the stitches/battle wound in my leg wet so I'm hoping it's still dry or at least the pools are manageable.

Thanks for any info.

BUMP - Anyone have recent water conditions?

Buckskin gulch May 2012

Buckskin conditions were great for us, we went May 3rd and 4th. It is completely dry, even Paria river is gone.
    We were so lucky..