Thread: Angel Cove Main Fork and White Roost

Angel Cove Main Fork and White Roost

Made a quick trip to Hanksville and played in a few canyons while we were there. The first day we did Angel Cove main fork. Someone placed chains where the webbing use to be and attached a hand line at most of the drops. We did find a dead deer inside the canyon with a nice set of antlers and wondered why and how it ended up there.
    The last two rappels were amazing with the view of the Dirty Devil river in the distance.

The second day we did White Roost. This canyon was alot narrower than Angel Cove and had alot of awkward rappels. Most of these could have been down climbed but we chose to rappel them since the webbing was there and in good shape. The only water in the canyon was at the last rappel and it was only ankle deep.
    Both days were alot of fun and we can hardly wait for the next trip.

Name:  DSCI2438..jpg
Views: 641
Size:  48.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images              

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Nice, thanks for the TR and pics.

Tom

Nice pics James. We still should meet up some time and hit some canyons. I did Quandary direct on Friday and it was awesome.
    Duane

Duane,
    I'm game. Send me a PM when you would like to go. I have time off during the week and plenty of vacation I could use.

James

Quote Originally Posted by New Mexico View Post
    The first day we did Angel Cove main fork. Someone placed chains where the webbing use to be and attached a hand line at most of the drops.
    When the main fork of Angel Cove was first published in Dave's minislot guide, there were ropes with knots placed along the length of the ropes at each drop, presumably to be used as handlines to go up the canyon.
    The ropes have been removed, at least once, and reappeared shortly after.
    It would be a civilized stance to leave the ropes and their chains alone since apparently someone who is not a traditional canyoneer and most likely not a member of this community is using this canyon for their own purposes.

How did that deer get there? Hmm...

I'm going to guess the deer got distracted while rappelling and took his brakehoof off the rope.

He probably would have been fine if he had remembered to wear his bucking helmet.

Seriously, Nice TR and pics! Thanks for sharing!

Bob
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Thats what we were thinking.

There are people who paraglide (or parachute, or whatever) off the cliffs there and upclimb the canyon to go do it again. We met a group of them a couple of years ago, just as they were starting up back up to the plateau. They told us they had a local friend who set the ropes for them. I got the impression that it was pretty common for them to do that.
    Deb

Quote Originally Posted by ddavis View Post
    There are people who paraglide (or parachute, or whatever) off the cliffs there and upclimb the canyon to go do it again. We met a group of them a couple of years ago, just as they were starting up back up to the plateau. They told us they had a local friend who set the ropes for them. I got the impression that it was pretty common for them to do that.
    But there is a walkup just around the corner, right?

"Basejump".

T

I think it would be easier and faster to hike out than to climb back up the canyon using the ropes. But what do I know..

Quote Originally Posted by penmartens View Post
    It would be a civilized stance to leave the ropes and their chains alone since apparently someone who is not a traditional canyoneer and most likely not a member of this community is using this canyon for their own purposes.
    Why?

It would be a civilized stance to clean up trash left in canyons, on public land.

People who are unaware that it is a bad idea to leave trash behind in canyons on public land might get upset. So?

Tom

There are people who choose to live harsh, mean-spirited, closed minded, and short sighted lives. They really aren't worth arguing with.

I believe that most of the Bogley community and most of the canyoneering community at large are gentle and compassionate people who, if made aware of a situation, would let other people recreate in the manner that they choose. I believe the majority of people are open to the idea that there are many different uses for our public lands, that there are uses that pre-date the infant sport of canyoneering, and that others have as many rights and privileges as ourselves.
    Penny

15. Likes Udink liked this post
    When the main fork of Angel Cove was first published in Dave's minislot guide,
    Excused me... but it was first published to the general public on Climb-Utah and beat the Mini Slot Guide out by a couple of weeks.... not that it really matters...

It would be a civilized stance to leave the ropes and their chains alone
    My concern with this stance is trash has a terrible habit of attracting more trash. One bolt/chain/rope this year and 5 next year, and 10 the next.

The only two solutions are zero tolerance or prolific bolts/chains/ropes... pick your poison.

There are people who choose to live harsh, mean-spirited, closed-minded, and short-sighted lives. They really aren't worth arguing with.

I believe that most of the Bogley community and most of the canyoneering community at large are gentle and compassionate people who, if made aware of a situation, would let other people recreate in the manner that they choose. I believe the majority of people are open to the idea that there are many different uses for our public lands, that there are uses that pre-date the infant sport of canyoneering, and that others have as many rights and privileges as ourselves.

Penny
    A persuasive argument to many, I am sure.

I just don't know of any appropriate uses of our public lands where leaving your personal crap lying around in the desert is considered appropriate.

Tom

http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/prog/Rec...__outdoor.html

Quote Originally Posted by BLM
    Stewardship & Outdoor Ethics Program

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is dedicated to promoting and supporting land stewardship and outdoor education. In collaboration with numerous partner organizations, BLM’s Stewardship and Outdoor Ethics Program educates the public on how to recreate responsibly in the outdoors, and sponsors volunteer events and activities designed to improve and enhance the public lands.

Whether your favorite pastime is hiking in the backcountry or riding an off-highway vehicle (OHV) on the many BLM OHV roads and trails, the BLM encourages you to take the time to learn the outdoor ethics of your activity. Stewardship is about taking care of the great lands that belong to all of us, and keeping them healthy for future generations. Participate in preserving our national treasures – the public lands.

Outreach & Partners/Events
    To inspire the public to practice appropriate outdoor ethics, BLM partners with Tread Lightly! Inc. and Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics. These organizations emphasize good land stewardship through education and ethics, rather than simply through a set of rules or regulations. Visit these BLM partner organization websites to learn more about how you can be a good steward on public lands by behaving responsibly in the outdoors.

The BLM also co-sponsors annual volunteer events including National Public Lands Day, National Trails Day and Take Pride in America, which help build land stewardship awareness among the public. Numerous improvement and enhancement projects are undertaken through these events, such as building bridges and trails, planting trees and shrubs, and removing trash and invasive species. The projects serve many purposes, such as to restore or improve landscapes and water quality and to improve habitat for native species, while also providing a more attractive and functional environment in which to recreate.

Land Stewardship Principles
    The Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics has created seven Leave No Trace Principles that are designed for reducing damage caused by outdoor activities, primarily non-motorized. BLM recognizes them as essential to effective and ethical land stewardship practice.

Tread Lightly! Inc. also has created pledges for land (Tread Lightly! on Land) and water (Tread Lightly! on Water) recreation users that are similarly designed to reduce damage caused primarily by motorized recreation activities. Recreational users are encouraged to follow the principles described in each pledge as these practices will greatly lessen the impact of recreation use in outdoor settings.

Additional Links
    Environmental Education – The BLM Learning Landscapes website. The BLM strives to realize healthier and more productive public lands through better informed citizens who are willing to participate and assist in solving complex environmental problems. This site offers teacher resources, classroom activities, and a wealth of other learning opportunities relating to the 258 million-acre laboratory of BLM-managed public lands.

BLM Contact
    Patti Klein
    National Lead
    Stewardship & Outdoor Ethics Program
    Patti_Klein@blm.gov
    http://www.lnt.org/programs/principles.php
    Quote Originally Posted by Leave No Trace
    PLAN AHEAD AND PREPARE
    Know the regulations and special concerns for the area you'll visit.
    Prepare for extreme weather, hazards, and emergencies.
    Schedule your trip to avoid times of high use.
    Visit in small groups when possible. Consider splitting larger groups into smaller groups.
    Repackage food to minimize waste.
    Use a map and compass to eliminate the use of marking paint, rock cairns or flagging.
    PACK IT IN & PACK IT OUT — QUICK ACTIVITY
    Note: Arrangements for this activity must be made a week or two in advance. Find a location that is littered with garbage. For example, a roadside, a park, or a high school parking lot right after school. This activity can also be conducted during organized cleanup projects sponsored by groups that have "adopted" road segments or recreation sites. If you can not find a littered area near you, simulate one at or near your meeting site.

GRABBING YOUR GROUP'S ATTENTION
    Travel to the site. Have your group observe the littered site and record in writing what they think of this situation and how it makes them feel. Present each member of the group with a garbage bag and with the challenge to make the area look more pleasant.

THE ACTIVITY
    Have a contest to see who can collect the most garbage in 5 to 10 minutes. Instruct the group to use care when picking up sharp, rusty, or unsanitary waste. You may wish to have participants bring light gloves for this activity.

THE DISCUSSION
    Discuss what litter is and the effects of litter in general. Discuss the effects of litter in the backcountry. Divide participants into pairs and have them devise a plan for packing out their garbage on their next trip into the backcountry. Discuss each plan. How do one-pot meals contribute to the creation of less bulk and therefore less garbage? What, if anything, can an individual do about the litter of other backpackers?
    Not littering is a such a basic concept that they don't even discuss it, really, at LNT.

Tom (harsh, mean-spirited, closed-minded, and short-sighted)

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Excused me... but it was first published to the general public on Climb-Utah and beat the Mini Slot Guide out by a couple of weeks.... not that it really matters...
    You misunderstood me. I meant 'first published' as opposed to the second publishing that occurred months later due to revisions in some beta. This occurred within the miniguide itself and had nothing to do with Climb-Utah.

There's a fairly high risk of being summarily executed by jumping into this fray - but here goes.
    The equipment left behind in the canyon has a clear purpose & function in the mind of those who left it, even though it probably does violate the "Leave No trace" ethic encouraged by the BLM. In other words, to them, it is not "trash." If the canyoneering community takes it upon itself to unilaterally remove this equipment, it will likely prompt a response from the other user group of replacing it and a "turf" war may develop between the two groups. The "Leave No trace" policy is incumbent upon us as individuals to "practice" but I don't see it in the policy Tom provided that we are to regard ourselves as "enforcers." This is an important deliniation to recognize. Enforcement is the duty & function of the duly appointed BLM. Therefore, IN THIS CASE, I would think it best to report the equipment to the BLM and let them decide how best to enforce their policy. This would hopefully avoid any clash between the user groups involved. Ultimately, as canyoneers, we would hope the BLM would attempt to apprehend the other user group and explain to them the "Leave No Trace" ethic; remove the offending equipment and suggest the non-technical escape route out to the other group. They do have a "right" to use the same lands for different purposes and they are not obligated to ascend or descend the canyon in the same manner as we would want. But, I don't think the BLM expects us to be the self-appointed enforcers of their policies - again, IN THIS CASE. Let's let the BLM do their job.