Thread: Cycling down Weber Canyon?

Cycling down Weber Canyon?

I'm looking through this brochure from the Ogden convention & visitor's bureau. In the roadie cycling section, it describes a complete loop ride from Ogden over the North Divide, through the OV, and down to Mountain Green via Trappers Loop. However, it then claims you can complete the loop via Weber Canyon.

Maybe I'm confused, but isn't I-84 the only road in that part of Weber Canyon? I haven't observed another road there (and I was looking for one as a route up to OV from Layton).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yep, it is legal to ride down I-84. I occasionally see bikers out there but, well, seems a bit risky to me. Plenty of shoulder room but I wonder how much crap is there to flatten the tires on a road bike. Lots of folks drive up to the Sinclair gas station in Mountain Green and park. The gas station is the one right at the end/beginning of Trappers Loop. From there you can safely ride over into Ogden Valley or stay over on the Morgan side and enjoy those country roads.

There is a mailing group on Hill AFB for cycling. Shoot me a PM if you want me to link you up with that. You may find others from the Layton area that can give you better advice on riding from over there than I can.
    Exercise is the elixir of life!

I could be mistaken but I thought they put a sign up on 84 at Mt Green restricting bikes a year ago? I was at a Bountiful Mazda get together and they were talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    I could be mistaken but I thought they put a sign up on 84 at Mt Green restricting bikes a year ago? I was at a Bountiful Mazda get together and they were talking about it.
    Hmm, I'll try to remember to look this weekend. I wonder if it was restricted due to all the construction through the canyon...

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    As I understand it, bikes are prohibited on freeways unless there is no other option. In this particular case, there is no other road that stretches between Mt. Green and Ogden, thus allowing bicycles. That is my understanding, but I could be wrong.

I know for certain there used to be a sign on I-84 eastbound showing that bikes were allowed. Used to see it when I entered the interstate from highway 89.

I wonder if going down Ogden Canyon would be more safe? I know there is ZERO shoulder and I would never attempt this, but the cars are going much slower, but it can be really tight in there. Would North Ogden Divide be any more safe to bike over? It's common to do a loop starting from Pineview Dam, going up Skyline and all the way over to North Ogden Divide then back down into Ogden Valley, over to Pineview again.

Ogden Canyon at the top of this map, Weber at the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I wonder if going down Ogden Canyon would be more safe? I know there is ZERO shoulder and I would never attempt this, but the cars are going much slower, but it can be really tight in there. Would North Ogden Divide be any more safe to bike over? It's common to do a loop starting from Pineview Dam, going up Skyline and all the way over to North Ogden Divide then back down into Ogden Valley, over to Pineview again.
    I've looked at the road in Ogden Canyon, and you're right about the lack of shoulder. I might *consider* descending it, but I definitely wouldn't try to ride up it...a little too risky for me. Not too mention it's signed as "bicycles not recommended" or something similar.

I don't think the loop you described is feasible with a road bike?

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    You could not pay me enough to ever ride up or down Ogden Canyon! There has been at least one death of a biker in Ogden Canyon. Best bet is to just drive your are up to Mount Green or OV and ride from there over Trappers Loop and back. Or just stay in on one side of the mountain and ride to your hearts content. I am not even sure I would ride North Ogden divide.
    Chere'

To me it really is a tricky deal no matter which way you pick. I'd love to ride my bike from my home in the Ogden Valley to Hill AFB. But it's the part about getting through/over the mountains that bothers me. Especially figuring in the darkness each morning. Ogden Canyon has zero room for bikers and I feel that any riders in the canyon represent a safety hazard. Weber Canyon has plenty of room but means dealing with lots of vehicles travelling around 70 mph easily. Then you have divide which makes for a longer trip with a short but hard climb each time. On this road you have to deal with falling rocks, rough pavement, limited visibility and little to no shoulders in many areas. Candace has the same issues just from the opposite direction. I still say driving over is the best idea. You can park in Mountain Green or at the Pineview Dam and then have access to enough rural roads to ride all day. I have done many solo century rides over here with no problems. Do a big loop around the whole Ogden Valley, ride over Trappers Loop and then to Morgan and back and you've got a lot of miles in. You can even make it on back roads all the way to Park City if you want a really long ride. Oh, and for a really cool trip hit I-84 for about 2 miles east of Morgan and ride to Taggarts. Get off at that exit and hit Taggart's Restaurant. Awesome food, you can thank me later. Don't forget the world famous carrot cake.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    You could not pay me enough to ever ride up or down Ogden Canyon! There has been at least one death of a biker in Ogden Canyon. Best bet is to just drive your are up to Mount Green or OV and ride from there over Trappers Loop and back. Or just stay in on one side of the mountain and ride to your hearts content. I am not even sure I would ride North Ogden divide.
    I sort of agree, although I would certainly choose riding over here vs the crowded city any day. I've yet to ride North Ogden Divide but will be using it as one of my climbing routes all the summer. There are so many bikers on the divide that us locals are used to seeing them and for the most part are looking out for them as we drive over. I also want to hit the steep route up Powder Mountain. Have applied for LOTOJA again and am hoping to get selected this year. Need to work those climbs to be ready. I also want to compete (well maybe I should say, survive) in the Powder MT hill climb race this summer since it's right in my backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace66 View Post

I don't think the loop you described is feasible with a road bike?
    Correct, I'm just looking at similarities of heading down the North Ogden Divide which also has no shoulder, to the Ogden Canyon. But the Divide has much less traffic and probably a little more visibility.