Thread: Little Wildhorse Canyon, San Rafael Swell, UT - our family's first slot canyon :)

Little Wildhorse Canyon, San Rafael Swell, UT - our family's first slot canyon :)

Saturday, March 31
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. Likes Udink liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome

Welcome to Bogley and the world of canyoneering.

Nice report and welcome to bogley You may have passed a bunch of my family members there that weekend, I was almost there but I decided on St George. How was the wind?

Excellent! Thanks for posting and btw, it only gets better. So many canyons..... so little time.
    Life is Good

The wind wasn't an issue on Saturday - but we ended up leaving a day early (Sunday afternoon) because of the wind. Pretty windy on Sunday! I was really surprised that all three boys made the 8.5 mile hike with little problems - we didn't rush, and took a lot of breaks. They were tired at around 4.5 miles (top of LWC), but at that point, it is almost all downhill and there is no choice but to hike out... We also ran out of water about then, too (I brought 3 liters, each boy had about 1.5 liters between them - we will definitely bring more next time).

It was great fun! I posted a lot of the pics on Facebook, and a lot of people have asked me about it. We need to get kids out in the wilderness more often - anything to promote being *outside.* My son's comment blew me away - I was so proud of him. :D

This is a great website!

Looks like a great time. Welcome to the sport!
    - Gavin

10. Likes lchastai liked this post
    Great trip Lynne, and I think you chose an excellent canyon to start with. I did Little Wild Horse myself last year to show my parents the beauty of canyons (well, as far as we got due to water in the canyon which my parents didn't like).

Quote Originally Posted by lchastai View Post
    and that now he would see the desert with a different perspective. Wow. You don't hear that from a 12 year old very often.
    Take care though, he might get addicted to the desert and/ or canyons..... I myself am in the middle of that process I think.... hehehe Now going for the technical side of canyoneering.

Idea for a next trip which I think will inspire you and your boys: Buckskin Gulch (for as far as you wanna go or can go) as another fantastic canyon, or try the coyote buttes North (with the wave; permit requiered) to get inspired by the desert even more (takes a hike to get there). So many beautiful treasures hidden in the desert...

We probably pass you going down Little Wild Horse. We passed a lot of people. We were obviously going the opposite direction of travel. We camped behind the reef so we went down Little Wild Horse and up Bell. Great canyon, nice pics

Awesome pics! I love that canyon!