Thread: Zion Narrows

Zion Narrows

Going down to Zion this weekend for Easter. Would really like to hike the narrows, but is that going to be possible yet? I'm afraid that the river may be too high and cold. Anybody been there recently to verify this?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

you can check here

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=09405500

Maybe call the park and ask them what conditions have been like. It will probably be pretty could though...
    - Gavin

Are you wanting to hike from bottom up? or the full meal deal (top down)?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Are you wanting to hike from bottom up? or the full meal deal (top down)?
    I'm not sure. Probably the bottom up. I've never hiked it before so I'm open to recommendations. I've tried to get the phone number off Zion's website to call for conditions, but their website has been unresponsive all day. I can see the main page, but that's about it. All other links time out.

The NPS is updating their website for all the parks today.
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Current water level of about 120 used to be considered "burly". Small adults might be challenged. The deep spot near Mystery Falls will likely be chest deep, and making headway against the current might be a challenge. Once past there, the walk is much easier for quite a ways. Dry suits highly recommended.

With the warm weather arriving the level is likely to go up, and the Park will close even bottom-up access.

The water will be cold.

Snow probably prevents access to Chamberlain Ranch, but I haven't been up there. You could call the Ponderosa, see what they can tell you about the North Fork Road. Although it is hard to see the point. Hiking from the top would be very challenging even if you could get there.

Last year, quite a few people made bad choices, which reflected poorly on the community. Last year, there was a ton of snow, which meant spring came quite late to Zion, and people go anxious. This year spring will come much earlier, but there is still snow in the high country, which is melting, which is flowing down the canyons that have extensive watersheds.

I hear North Wash will be fun this coming weekend.

Tom

Looking at the river gage the bottom up should be open.

Top down is a totally different animal than bottom up. Top down is a very long day or overnight trip requiring a lot of preparation and planning

Bottom up is whatever you make of it. Hiking up to Orderville Gulch is very popular. If you are really hardcore you can hike from the bottom up to Big Springs.

Map and good info here:
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/narrows.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ahansen60 View Post
    I'm not sure. Probably the bottom up. I've never hiked it before so I'm open to recommendations. I've tried to get the phone number off Zion's website to call for conditions, but their website has been unresponsive all day. I can see the main page, but that's about it. All other links time out.
    Zion NP Backcountry Desk: 435-772-0170 (page 48 in the book).

For the Narrows, specifically, you'd do better to call ZAC, which rents gear to and debriefs Narrows hikers every day.
    435-772-0990.

Tom

Well I only have one day to see all that I can in the park. So I would probably be looking at the bottom up option then. I have some experience navigating canyons/slots but never when the water was unbearably cold. I do have a set of chest waders. Do you think this would suffice? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ahansen60 View Post
    Well I only have one day to see all that I can in the park. So I would probably be looking at the bottom up option then. I have some experience navigating canyons/slots but never when the water was unbearably cold. I do have a set of chest waders. Do you think this would suffice? Lol.
    The water level is highly variable this time of year. I am thinking with the warm weather, the river will come up to about 150. If you weigh 200 lbs and are 6' plus, you might get past that deep spot with just waders. The good news is that if you fell over and got wet, it is not far from there back to the trail where you could pour the water out and call it quits.

Honestly? Honestly? It MIGHT be fun in a drysuit, but in anything else is just foolishness. If you don't want to rent a drysuit, go hike Angel's Landing and Hidden Canyon. Come back to The Narrows when it is a reasonable venture, when it is FUN.

Tom

Thanks for the advice guys. I called and talked to the Zion Adventure Company last night and they said that at the level the river has been averaging this week that the highest it should be is about waist deep. I do happen to be about 200 lbs and am 6' 3". So I think I will pack my waders and give it a go. If it gets sketchy I'll just turn around and hike something else.

Okay then. Let us know how it goes!

Tom

Name:  DSC_0177..jpg
Views: 2549
Size:  656.4 KB

Well I'm back home now. Zion was absolutely amazing! So beautiful! I wish I would have hiked the narrows sooner. Turns out the waders worked great. Never got wet and never got cold. :) I made it a couple miles up the canyon til I finally had to turn around when I got to a pool that was about armpit deep. I think I'll head back down in a couple months when it's a little warmer so I can do the whole thing.

Hmmmm wonder where that rock is in the Narrows.....
    Life is Good

I know EXACTLY where that rock is.... here is a picture from 135' overhead.

Name:  imlay07..jpg
Views: 908
Size:  33.6 KB

17. Likes The Good Cop liked this post
    Bingo! We have a winner!
    Life is Good

Great Thread / Very Helpful / Guidance Please?

Thanks for the helpful data on the Narrows - you guys make this type of hike possible for those of us on a limited timeline.... Please advice:

I have two nights at Watchman reserved during middle of May and want to the Narrows hike if possible. We could do the Narrows during these to nights or the day after reservations are over there. We are two experienced hikers, healthy, etc... What I am wondering is this - where is the optimal place to spend the night the night before hiking? We are car camping for the most part but have the ability to stay overnight on a trail. We could do the entire hike in a day OR do an overnight. Would an organized hike be a good idea? Shuttle to and from where? I am open to suggestions and have the time to pull off a one day or two day hike.

What would you do?

Thanks!! Chris

There's about a billion webpages on the subject. Here's one:

http://www.canyoneeringcentral.com/u...n-narrows.html

I think an overnight in the Narrows is a special treat. It might be a bit early for it, as you might want more than 'shorts and tee shirt' for warmth.

The start of the Narrows (Chamberlain Ranch) is private land, and camping is not allowed there. You could camp up at the Orderville trailhead (BLM) but... I think it is so much better to buy a shuttle to the top (435-772-0990, reservation required) http://www.zionadventures.com/zion-shuttles/ so that when you are done, you are done. Fetching your car is a 2-3 hour round trip, and the road is heavily washboarded and tough on cars.

(Disclosure: I work as a guide for ZAC. But this is my true opinion, not a marketing ploy. I am off the clock.)

Tom

21. Likes The Good Cop liked this post