Thread: Egypt 2

Egypt 2

On Sunday April 1st, Steph, Tyler, Aralynn and I headed down Egypt 2. It was Aralynn’s first canyoneering adventure.

Of course, we opted for the 270 foot entry rappel. If you choose to do this canyon, I strongly suggest giving this rappel a try. The view on the way down is astonishing! We all wished we could immediately return to the top and do it a second time.

Name:  IMG_3722..jpg
Views: 711
Size:  113.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3732..jpg
Views: 722
Size:  86.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3740..jpg
Views: 731
Size:  94.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3745..jpg
Views: 689
Size:  82.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3747..jpg
Views: 700
Size:  89.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3750..jpg
Views: 690
Size:  104.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3738..jpg
Views: 690
Size:  121.4 KB

At the second rappel (40 ft) there were two anchors available:

The first was set back from the edge of the rappel to allow for a comfortable start. The likelihood of sticking the rope from that anchor was very high.

The second anchor was extended over the edge of the rappel, which required a tricky and somewhat exposed start. Obviously there was no chance of sticking the rope from that anchor.

We opted for the first anchor . *DOH* (LAMAR should have used the second anchor, lesson learned).

Sooo… we pulled 99% of the rope through, then the rope stuck. We yanked and whipped the rope for 20 minutes or so.

Tyler then volunteered to climb up and get the rope. (He is a climber first and a canyoneer second.) The crux move at the top required that he reach over the right side of the boulder and hold a “5.10 sloper” to pull himself to the top. It took all of 90 seconds for him to make the climb (he never weighted the rope in the photos below). It was a VERY impressive climb!
    Name:  IMG_3771..jpg
Views: 702
Size:  71.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3772..jpg
Views: 681
Size:  97.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3774..jpg
Views: 679
Size:  88.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3776..jpg
Views: 678
Size:  83.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3779..jpg
Views: 686
Size:  106.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3766..jpg
Views: 687
Size:  86.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3788..jpg
Views: 681
Size:  117.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3786..jpg
Views: 678
Size:  114.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3792..jpg
Views: 931
Size:  113.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3796..jpg
Views: 665
Size:  113.6 KB

http://amazingslots.blogspot.com/2012/04/egypt-2.html
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. Likes Jammer liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bob,
    Nice TR and photos... Looks like fun. I especially like the princess elbow pads. That was nice of you to lend them out!

Quote Originally Posted by PG Rob View Post
    Bob,
    Nice TR and photos... Looks like fun. I especially like the princess elbow pads. That was nice of you to lend them out!
    Lol, those elbow pads lasted all of about 5 seconds in that canyon. They were hilarious, but not canyon worthy. She looked far and wide for a matching helmet, but sadly Petzl doesn't make pink helmets.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Just goes to show you - high fashion doesn't belong in slot canyons!
    Nice photos & report. Looks like just a little bit of water? Sure is helpful to have a 5.10 climber along - just in case. Looks like you did the 270 ft. rappel on a single line? Thinking of the "How to do a 300 ft rappel thread," What kind of rappel/device setup did you end up using?

That looks like a fun rappel! Nice work!
    Darin

We are planning to be out there in a month!

It's been a while since I've done E2, but isn't that 40' the only rap in the canyon, or am I forgetting one? I think I recall leaving the rope at the rap and cleaning it on the hike out. Thanks for the fun pics!
    Can you see the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    Just goes to show you - high fashion doesn't belong in slot canyons!
    Nice photos & report. Looks like just a little bit of water? Sure is helpful to have a 5.10 climber along - just in case. Looks like you did the 270 ft. rappel on a single line? Thinking of the "How to do a 300 ft rappel thread," What kind of rappel/device setup did you end up using?
    Thanks! The only water was the one shallow puddle that we all got a little muddy in. We did the big rap with a single 8mm Imlay Rope that we anchored to my truck. I posted a photo of my rappel setup at the bottom of page 2 here:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...300-feet/page2

Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    We are planning to be out there in a month!
    Nice! When you head to E2, DO NOT skip the big rap. It was the best part of the canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
    It's been a while since I've done E2, but isn't that 40' the only rap in the canyon, or am I forgetting one? I think I recall leaving the rope at the rap and cleaning it on the hike out. Thanks for the fun pics!
    You might be thinking of the optional bottom section of E3. The part with the potholes and stinky mud. We just happen to take a peek up that section and it was mostly dry. Tyler was sorely tempted to try climbing that rappel, but it is a 5.11-ish climb with big penalty points. We made the right decision and backed out.

Here are a couple photos from the optional section of E3:

Name:  IMG_3800..jpg
Views: 523
Size:  88.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3799..jpg
Views: 549
Size:  126.5 KB

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
    It may be the only rap OTHER than the entry rap, but you would not be able to clean it on the way out. Perhaps you are thinking of E3.

SLOT Machine - another way to handle that situation is by using the 'courtesy rappel'. Set up a rappel for all but the last person, so that getting on rappel and starting is easy. Only the last person has to do the hard start that puts the ring over the edge for a clean pull. Can courtesy off meat, or by rigging the anchor for a clean pull, then clipping it up higher for all but the last person. Not only does it make things "easier", it also tends to make things faster and safer too.

Tom

Nice TR, and, really, best elbow pads ever!