Thread: Red Cliffs Recreation Area

Red Cliffs Recreation Area

Located north of St George, near Leeds just off of I-15.

There's a great, short little hike that the kids loved, heading up the little stream that flows through the campground. I would say it is a half mile in to the larger waterfall, maybe less. We hiked to three different falls though, which look like they would double as great water slides in warmer weather.

The trail is very easy to follow. Even though it crosses the stream several times, it's easy to remain dry at each crossing.

Posted via Tapatapatapatalk

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1333424734269.jpg
Views: 2213
Size:  76.5 KB

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1333424997678.jpg
Views: 2634
Size:  79.0 KB

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1333424823356.jpg
Views: 1995
Size:  60.6 KB

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1333425056855.jpg
Views: 2624
Size:  57.0 KB

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1333425098238.jpg
Views: 2126
Size:  58.5 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

4. Likes mattandersao, blueeyes liked this post

It had a decent amount of people there, going on a Monday helped a little too.

Posted via Tapatapatapatalk

Had to bump this, might hit it this weekend.

Yeah thats a fun area.

Once you pass the moki steps the majority of people dissappear and there is some cool stuff up in their. Last weekend when we did Boltergiest, we almost just headed downstream and have somebody pick us up at Red Cliffs. I estimated it about 4 miles on Google Earth, but I bet there is some thick bushwacking along the way. Anybody have any experience with doing that?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    Once you pass the moki steps the majority of people dissappear and there is some cool stuff up in their. Last weekend when we did Boltergiest, we almost just headed downstream and have somebody pick us up at Red Cliffs. I estimated it about 4 miles on Google Earth, but I bet there is some thick bushwacking along the way. Anybody have any experience with doing that?
    I've explorer up there quite a bit and it's not too exciting. The canyon opens up dramatically and has lots of bushes and thorns and minor obstacles to scramble over. As just a hike it's something to do I guess...but I wouldn't make it a destination though...
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Blog Entries
    I've explorer up there quite a bit and it's not too exciting. The canyon opens up dramatically and has lots of bushes and thorns and minor obstacles to scramble over. As just a hike it's something to do I guess...but I wouldn't make it a destination though but it is really pretty, especially this time of year with the stream. I think they close it or divert the water sometime in may right?
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I usually make a couple trips each winter down to St George and ride my horses in the Red Cliff Reserve area. There are lots of trails and interesting rock formations to explore

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I've explorer up there quite a bit and it's not too exciting. The canyon opens up dramatically and has lots of bushes and thorns and minor obstacles to scramble over. As just a hike it's something to do I guess...but I wouldn't make it a destination though but it is really pretty, especially this time of year with the stream. I think they close it or divert the water sometime in may right?
    . There are plenty of side canyons and stuff to play around on. All depends on what you are trying to do and what your group dynamics are. I can't take my 60 year mom through Imlay, but Red Cliffs, for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
    I usually make a couple trips each winter down to St George and ride my horses in the Red Cliff Reserve area. There are lots of trails and interesting rock formations to explore

Looks like a great place to ride

Blog Entries
    . There are plenty of side canyons and stuff to play around on. All depends on what you are trying to do and what your group dynamics are. I can't take my 60 year mom through Imlay, but Red Cliffs, for sure
    Of course.

That reminds me, I have taken my 66yrold mom through Das Boot twice and Pleaides three times. She is a trooper, and she is as skinny as paper and dealt with the cold just fine. Lol, good ole mom. And I agree, Imlay would probably be out of the question.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Looks like a great place to ride
    It's a good place to ride in the winter when everything up north is covered in snow. My youngest daughter went down to Dixie for school last fall. So hauling the horses down to St George give me a chance to go see her and exercise the horses. Red Cliffs has a lot of sand, So it works well for winter horses that don't have their shoes. The Maze down to the Virgin River on the East side of I-15, You can ride all the way to Torquerville across Sand mountain. Brackens Loop and the Grapevine on west side of I-15 give several days of riding. Or Mountain Biking for those of you on two wheels.