Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boss Hog Accident report 03/31/12

Ahhh...so...in between a couple of my shots above...

This spot:

Name:  boss..jpg
Views: 287
Size:  155.7 KB

I'd think some of the up climbing wouldn't be trivial...yikes...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

thats it. it looks lots tougher from this perspective, 6+ feet above the head of the person in position to climb, than it really is.
    The climb back out, with packs, was a lot like work; several interesting places, the crux being the corner drop above the slide.
    Five of us did it, but the stalwarts were Kevin Earl and Zig Sondelski, who went BACK in to get the EMTs to the patient, and then had to climb back out a second time.

Quote Originally Posted by penmartens View Post
    While we are feeling warm and fuzzy about SARs, remember that they are volunteer organizations. When the county's budgeted money is spent, it is the volunteers who eat their own expenses to help others. Wayne County's SAR budget was cut drastically for this year. They probably had it spent in the first 2 weeks. I am certain that donations would be welcome.
    Send donations here:

Wayne County Sheriff
    Search and Rescue
    PO Box 219
    Loa, UT 84747

And below is a request posted by Wayne County SAR last year. It would not have made a difference in this SAR, but it could in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne County SAR
    One small suggestion to those entering our canyons, if you could leave a detailed route map on the dash of your vehicle, visible through the windshield so we can know where to begin our search should you be overdue. We always begin our search at the vehicle. A good map or written instructions of your intended route could save precious time should a search occur. Stay safe and I hope you enjoy our canyons as much as I do. Thanks, Don

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Send donations here:

Wayne County Sheriff
    Search and Rescue
    PO Box 219
    Loa, UT 84747

And below is a request posted by Wayne County SAR last year. It would not have made a difference in this SAR, but it could in others.
    Thanks Shane. Donation going out today.

Tom

When I talked to Kevin at the side of the road while he was waiting for SAR, I noticed a small injury on the side of his nose and asked about it. All he had time to say was that the upclimb was hard and that he had had some trouble on part of it.

On another note, it was pretty weird to run into someone I see almost every day at work (I go past his office on the way to the printer) out in some random spot in southern Utah.
    Deb

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Send donations here:

Wayne County Sheriff
    Search and Rescue
    PO Box 219
    Loa, UT 84747

also interesting to note - the Hog Canyons and most of North Wash is actually in Garfield County, the county seat being Panguitch, about 3-1/2 hours away. Good to see inter-county cooperation.

Tom

note- there were garfield county people there at the rescue as well. several tropic fire dept shirts were prominent. from escalante also.