Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boss Hog Accident report 03/31/12

Boss Hog Accident report 03/31/12

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Our group warmed up Friday with a quick four man scamper through Monkee Business, which was fun, and uncharacteristically dry. Saturday morning, picking up three more canyoneers, we headed for the Hogs, the access road being the worst I have ever seen, markedly worse than last year, which had been a significant low point up until then. Why is it the county roads folks only want to grade cowpaths, yet can

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I always cringe when I start reading about rescues in Hanksville, but it sounds like everything went pretty well this time. Thanks again for sharing the info! Wishing him a full recovery.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Thanks for posting. I hope the mending continues and he recovers fully. I hope his wife recovers too. Scary for all involved. Rescue can never come soon enough in those situations I would imagine.

Looks like, as Ram said on the Yahoo group, that the Chevron in Hanksville will get my business.
    Life is Good

5. Likes bowjunkie liked this post
    Thanks Rick for taking the time to write up a really nice accident report.

Also good to hear things turned out as well as can be expected.

Excellent, informative, detailed report. Thanks for taking the time after such a difficult event. It benefits all.

Wow. That is pretty scary. I just went through Boss Hog about a week ago (my TR is on the canyoneering forum BTW) and I can imagine how tricky a rescue would be in there. All that down climbing is a recipe for disaster.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Thank you for the comprehensive report Rick. Really lays out the events. Glad everything turned out OK. Breaking those processes sure is painful!!!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-wild View Post
    Wow. That is pretty scary. I just went through Boss Hog about a week ago (my TR is on the canyoneering forum BTW) and I can imagine how tricky a rescue would be in there. All that down climbing is a recipe for disaster.
    Yeah, one would want to be real careful, like wearing HELMETS, right Dan?

Tom

Ouch. Glad everyone is going to be ok.

Is this the "spot"...?

Name:  Boss Hog..jpg
Views: 610
Size:  177.9 KB

Three cheers for the Wayne County SAR team and Duke and Jessy in particular (and everybody else involved). I saw them practicing on the cliffs near my house last year, not sure I could do that!
    Bob Palin
    Wayne County, Utah
    Blog
    Facebook
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Ouch. Glad everyone is going to be ok.

Is this the "spot"...?
    Not sure Rick is following over here. NO, this is not the spot. A bit further upcanyon, a drop that is often rappelled, though the rappel is only about 8 feet.

Tom

Thanks for the write up on this incident as we were trying to figure out why the chopper was flying circles over camp.

Makes me think, being we were camping at Blarney, if asking others for help would be appropriate (ask me anytime) in this scenario or is it better left to authorities?

I gotta say, i now carry a SPOT Connect for instances like this. $150 pus $100 annual subscription and this story makes me realize that yes, i'm glad its in my pack! Plus they cover SAR costs
    "oh man, i forgot the rope."

Quote Originally Posted by stoysluttie1 View Post
    Thanks for the write up on this incident as we were trying to figure out why the chopper was flying circles over camp.

Makes me think, being we were camping at Blarney, if asking others for help would be appropriate (ask me anytime) in this scenario or is it better left to authorities?

I gotta say, i now carry a SPOT Connect for instances like this. $150 pus $100 annual subscription and this story makes me realize that yes, i'm glad its in my pack! Plus they cover SAR costs
    Well, it depends...

With indications of a spinal or pelvic injury, a professional rescue was going to be called. In other circumstances, where competent on-team medical personnel could stabilize the injury and make secure for evacuation, self-rescue might be appropriate - and recruiting nearby manpower might be a good idea.

Rescues always take longer than expected. So things like taking food, warm clothing and headlamps out to the team might be appreciated. Technical help could also be of assistance. Once the professional team arrives, they have to take over, and may or may not find untrained volunteers to be of assistance.

A SPOT may or may not have moved things along faster. Does that have text messaging with it? If so, stating the level of injury and terrain of incident could be super useful. Signalling a SPOT does not replace sending someone out to report, if possible. As discussed above, accurate reporting of incident details is useful to get the right resources to the site as soon as possible.

SAR costs? In the USA these are covered by the county, so there are no costs to the injured party.

Tom

How 'bout these spots? Both just up canyon.

Name:  Hog 1..jpg
Views: 530
Size:  154.6 KB

Name:  Hog 2..jpg
Views: 550
Size:  165.5 KB

Any of those canyons would be tough to get someone out of. Glad they weren't in deeper and that folks were able to rally.

Scary business.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    How 'bout these spots? Both just up canyon.

Name:  Hog 1..jpg
Views: 530
Size:  154.6 KB
    This is the approach to the 180 degree corner where the accident occurred. High chimney across down-climb, but not too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC
    Name:  Hog 2..jpg
Views: 550
Size:  165.5 KB
    This is the same downclimb you showed before, from the top this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC

Any of those canyons would be tough to get someone out of. Glad they weren't in deeper and that folks were able to rally.

Scary business.
    Amen Brother!

this is not the spot, this is the slide, immediately above the spot. after the slide there is an easy 5 ft scramble to a lower deck.
    THEN then 8 ft wall downclimb, with a pinch on the left, facing the wall, as you down climb. I have a shot i took of the patient laying on the deck below the wall, if I could figure out how to post it here.

rick t

Resize (or not, I think this site resizes automatically now?) and resave to your desktop (easier to find for me if I'm posting only a couple of pic's).

Then, in the tool bar above the window where you type...there's a bunch of icons. Hover over the one just left of the one that looks like a film strip and you see it'll say "Insert Image". Click on that bad boy, and, you can load a photo from the pop up that appears. Click on the "From Computor" tab, and, go to the bottom of the window and click on "Select Files". Voila, should pop up your desktop (or, wherever on your computor you store the photo). Click on the photo, click on "Open" then you'll pop back to the upload window. Upload File and you should be good to go.

Bet that up climb was semi spicy...yikes.

Bogley doesn't let you attach pictures until you have 3 (or it could be 2 or 5 posts as we have tried lowering the number). It's a safety measure to prevent spammers and viruses.

My apologies to Rick and the Group. I had misunderstood where the events
    transpired, and Rick has clarified this to me this morning with pictures.

The sequence of spots in the canyon goes like this:

1. preliminary stuff
    2. chimney downclimb - high but not too hard, across then down
    3. very awkward downclimb or very awkward rappel
    4. downslide to a step-across
    5. trailing-arm downclimb to footholds on a wall
    6. downclimb through a hole into the darkness

The accident took place at #5, the trailing-arm downclimb onto some holds. While
    balancy, this downclimb is reasonable with good coaching. A handline from above
    helps with the balance. If going first, there is usually a jumpdown the last few
    feet, and there can be rocks hidden in the dust at the bottom. There is a low,
    small, sharp hold and I can usually get all the way to the ground without
    jumping.

Sorry, Rick, for thinking you were at the much-harder spot up above. This place,
    #5, is also a place I always downclimb and have clients downclimb, without a
    belay, with coaching and spotting from below.

Tom

here's the pic sent by Rick:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

While we are feeling warm and fuzzy about SARs, remember that they are volunteer organizations. When the county's budgeted money is spent, it is the volunteers who eat their own expenses to help others. Wayne County's SAR budget was cut drastically for this year. They probably had it spent in the first 2 weeks. I am certain that donations would be welcome.