Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The BIG BogleyFest: TBD

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    I second Navajo or Brianhead! And some canyons too.
    Chere'

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Alright, I'll be coming out there so I have a question regarding camping. Will there be one big group site or do I have to reserve one before hand? Just need to know if I have to do something besides just driving out there and pitching a tent...

I'm thinkin' maybe...

Anyone from SLC thinking of going? Leave Friday afternoon, come back Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Alright, I'll be coming out there so I have a question regarding camping. Will there be one big group site or do I have to reserve one before hand? Just need to know if I have to do something besides just driving out there and pitching a tent...
    I think the idea is to do a group site up by Kolob Reservoir. No reservations needed up there first come first serve. Really should start nailing down the details.
    Chere'

Can someone in the local area grab a spot big enough for the group on Friday afternoon? What day is everyone coming down? I will likely come down on Friday evening. Maybe hit a couple canyons or hiking one day and biking another. I've got a National Parks Pass for Zion. I would love to ride a couple trails one day near Brian Head. What are the best trails?

Thoughts?

I can grab a spot. Probably just me as Sarah has had enough of my adventures lately and Spencer has a job now. It would be nice to know how big of a space we will need. Who is tenting.. who might have a trailer.

I LOVED Blowhard up at Brianhead. Sadly with the road issues I don't think we could do it. Bunker Creek or Dark Hollow are equally as fun. I can look into the cost of the shuttle that I took last year or we can set up our own. I can get 5 bikes and 5 riders in my car.
    Chere'

I've been up that road dozens of times, but I've never gone as far as the lake. I always make that right turn before hand...Lava and Wildcat. It appears the camping is free and at large? So it's just a matter of someone getting there and claiming a big spot. Perhaps you should do a count on how many will (or will likely) show up. Maybe set it up like a poll, with "will show" and "likely show". I may be able to swing getting there Thursday night.

Usually people just chime in and say they are going and everything is kept up to date on the first post.

As far as I can tell it is Accadacca (Scott), Sombeech (Justin), Byron, Brian in SLC (maybe), Me

Others that have mentioned coming but have not chimed in lately are you still interested?
    @restrac2000, @nelsonccc, @BruteForce , @Randi , @skiclimb3287 , @ststephen , @greyhair biker , @Mtnseeker1, anyone else???
    Chere'

I'm out. I am taking a train back to my grandmother's cottage in Indiana to paint it for her. She's 88 and just lost another child to cancer so our family is trying to rally around her the next few years. Would much prefer to be at altitude in southern utah then sweltering in the midwest humidity but other duties beckon.

11. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    I'm still trying to make it work. I'm a maybe right now but I believe I'll be a 100% soon. There are some really large areas up there that will work well for group camping. I've camped in each of the three areas before. I'd say Area 1 is the nicest and could easily accommodate 10+vehicles, however it's also the most popular spot up there so it would be hard to keep others out. Area 2 is nice as well with quakies instead of pines and it definitely has more 'group' area. Area 3 is okay but is all shrub and no shade really, also it's a bit more open field driving rather than dirt road driving. The first pic in this TR http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...-Boundary-6-21 is looking at area 3. If someone can be there Thursday then I'd say to throw up a sign and try to reserve the whole area 1.

I'm definitely more interested in the mtn biking than the canyoneering. Though I have had my eye on doing the north fork of oak from the start and then jugging up the chute for awhile (even fixed ropes and went down to the confluence with the main fork a few years ago). We can take the dirt road to Cedar and then up to navajo or brian head (if the road is open??I hear it is open during the day) for some nice mtn biking. Then a day of dirt biking in the area? Not much single track but with licensed vehicles we could put together one hell of a loop all the way around zion around navajo, over the top of the narrows and orderville, down into zion, then back up smith mesa road. I've been eyeing this loop for years and even tried it once on Thanskgiving but got turned around due to snow.

Name:  kolob.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  86.8 KB
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

I just had a very depressing thought. My rear shock was sent off to Fox yesterday to be rebuilt. I may not even have my bike!!!

I can go up on Thursday and get a camp.

I tried clicking on the map to enlarge and that is not working. Is camp 1 the bottom yellow pin? Then 2 next up and 3 the yellow pin on top?

Edit: On my monitor at home I can see the map fine. I really wish I had my home computer screen at work!!
    Chere'

OK Blueeyes...I'll get there around 5 p.m. on Thursday. I'll grab the best spot available if you haven't already. I'll be driving a dark red Ford pickup with Colorado plates, of course. I'll have firewood and a very large bag of M&Ms.

It's a road trip thing...

15. Likes blueeyes liked this post

Have fun! And tell Caroline I said ello!
    Chere'

Not looking likely for me either. A combination of factors that I won't bore you with. Next bogley opportunity for me is probably in the fall. Have fun!
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

@nelsonccc are you confirmed? @Sombeech and I (and others) are likely leaving town on Thursday evening. Perhaps we do a group hike or canyon on Friday and a bike ride or two near Brian Head on Saturday? Thoughts?
    @Sombeech and I might boogie on Saturday evening, so maybe leaving from the Cedar area would work well? Lets plan this mutha.
    What hike/canyon options do we have? I know that some have been mentioned in this thread...do we need canyon gear or is it a hike?
    What MTB ride options do we have? Maybe pick two rides in the Brian Head area?

How many guys are coming with you that would want to ride up at Brian Head on Saturday?
    Chere'

Heads up, fire restrictions are going into place around the state real fast. Kolob is part of Washington Co. which just banned open/wood fires:

http://www.utahfireinfo.gov/fire_res...ons2012Map.pdf
    http://www.utahfireinfo.gov/fire_res...ctions2012.pdf

The exemption is permanent grates which I believe Kolob Res. lacks.

Sorry mates. Should be warm enough this weekend though to enjoy without 'em, still not quite the same.

Maybe I can bring a cut 55 gallon drum with a grate? Does that qualify?

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    How many guys are coming with you that would want to ride up at Brian Head on Saturday?
    @Sombeech?