Thread: Canyoneering Gear Give Away

Canyoneering Gear Give Away

Hey Canyoneers!
    We

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I just came across this, and this unfairly discriminates against those of us that don't have any accidents or near misses to report. We like to win free gear too.

I share your quandary.... I can think of a few things I might have done differently given the gift of 20/20 hindsight, but nothing close to serious possible consequences.

A few blisters and a couple minor rope burns is all I can really think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
    I just came across this, and this unfairly discriminates against those of us that don't have any accidents or near misses to report. We like to win free gear too.
    I could talk about the reason I have 9 out of 10 toenails. Would that count as an accident report?

Stupid neo booties.....
    Life is Good

Yep...your thoughts came to mind when the questionnaire was being created...are we encouraging folks to go out and have a near miss so they can post a report:) I didn't think I had any real reports to submit myself...but spent some time thinking about trips that just didn't go as planned. Was there a drop someone in the group made where a knee or ankle was tweaked and someone hobbled out. I see this info as valuable in that something lead to that outcome...which could have ten much worse.

Hopefully, by identifying that "something" others behavior can be vicariously altered to avoid similar accidents. Write about epics like Shane's Sandthrax adventure...from reading over his article it was definitely in the near miss category...something really bad came close to happening. From his experiences many future Sandthrax descenders learned and benefitted.

I know what you guys are saying though...go way back...don't think just about yourself...consider other group members that have screwed up while rapping, down climbing, dealing with cold water, etc.

A “Near Miss” is defined as “an event that could have resulted in significant injury requiring professional medical attention but did not."
    sounds like canyoneering

is this db related in any way to the American Canyoneers' accident reporting effort?

Hi Hank,
    Yes...the American Canyoneers have been very supportive. Several members of their safety committee have provided a great deal of feedback on the questionnaire along with other members of the canyoneering community at large. I understand db collected accident info a few years back as well...as we get to posting info down the road I'll be checking in with Dave to see what data he may have to contribute...hoping in the end to create a location on the web where reports can be located for easy access. I think the discussions that happen on the the various groups like Bogley, Yahoo and ACA are extremely important as well. This in no way is a replacement for those quality discussions...rather maybe see it as a final resting place for accident info where new and old canyoneers can find details of accidents and hopefully learn from the mistakes of others.

We've had a tremendous response to date...more than 100 accident submissions...many of these are in the near miss category which often don't show up in the group threads. In addition I think some folks are simply a bit shy to share their mishaps in the groups. Having a means of reporting without a name attached I reckon has been appealing to some.

Great tip a few years back on the baseball pants for canyoneering...on my third pair already but a much more affordable way to go...hope all is well down south!

steve kugath

Quote Originally Posted by kugath View Post
    Hi Hank,
    ...hope all is well down south!
    I did not know those where the types of accidents we were reporting.

Hey Phillip,
    The online questionnaire allows you to report incidents where injuries occurred...the recent accident in the Hogs is a great example. However near misses can also be submitted...many of these almost accidents can provide great details as well and help prevent future accidents.

sk

Great News! Jacob Boden of jacobbodenphotography.com has generously donated a 12 x 18 canyon photograph to the Accident database give away...check out Jacob's beautiful photos at his site.

Just to clarify we are collecting info on accidents that happened as well as accidents that nearly happened or near misses. Many of us have perhaps lead accident free canyoneering careers. Most of us though have at one point or another done something silly that nearly had big consequences...here is a quick example: during Freezefest this past winter I hooked up with a group of 15 or so to run through the West Fork of Leprechaun. Currently there is an anchor off a cairn at the head of the canyon (it is possible to down climb here...but we were excited for some rapping action). We quickly tested the anchor and I volunteered to be the first over the edge. A few seconds down the 25 foot rap there was a shift in the anchor...might of or might not have blown (we'll never know as 5 or 6 canyoneers jumped on the pile of rocks).

Some rich learning here that is exactly the type of thing the Accident database is trying to draw out...many conclusions we can draw after a bit of analysis...conclusions that may help others to not make the same mistake. So at least check out the on line questionnaire and see what questions are being asked...it's not too painful...you can always look through it and see if you're interested in playing...plus you could win one of the awesome prizes listed below. Here is the deal:

Hey Canyoneers!
    We’re developing a Canyoneering Accident/Near Miss/Epic Database. Information collected will be made available to the public for free. Our goal of the project is to educate and encourage safe canyoneering practice. The data base will include synopses and analysis of accidents/near misses/epics; group member’s names will not be included so don’t be shy about reporting your mishaps. In addition all the reports will be combed to identify key elements or themes that are precursors to accidents/near misses/epics.

Thanks to the many canyoneers who have provided excellent input the last few months in developing the survey…though certainly not perfect we hope it will be a great start. The survey will take some time depending on the details of your incident…perhaps 20 minutes. Feel free to submit information on as many incidents as you’ve experienced. The survey is located here…at least check it out:

https://byui.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_ahfwGIkVSLQJgI4

To encourage your participation we have collected some awesome prizes (thanks again to all who contributed): Here is the list of gear to give away so far (anyone else wishing to give away some gear/services to help with this project please contact me at kugaths at byui dot edu):

2 pairs of Five Ten Canyoneers
    a 12 X 18 Canyon photo from jacobbodenphotography.com
    a one year subscription to ajroadtrips.com
    An Imlay Canyon Kolob Pack
    4 Rock Exotica Pirate Locking Carabiners
    a one year subscription to Climb-Utah.com
    A stealth black Totem device
    An Imlay Canyon 9.2 mm x 200 foot Canyonero rope
    A copy of Dave Black’s Canyoneering: A guide to Techniques for Wet and Dry Canyons Book
    2 outdoor sticker packs with stickers from 5.10. Marmot, Outdoor Research, Mammut, PMI, Go Lite, Sierra Designs, Rock Exotica, Blue Water, NRS, La Sportiva, Kavu, Princeton Tec, Black Diamond, Scarpa, Sterling Rope, Osprey, Edelrid, Big Agnes, Omega Pacific, Dakine and Petzl
    1 Outdoor sticker pack with stickers from Mammut, North Face, SMC, Kuhl, Chaco, Osprey, Patagonia, Omega Pacific, MSR, Rock Exotica, C.A.M.P., Maxim Ropes, Salewa and Petzl

That’s 16 prizes in all!

So check out the survey and submit your information…Deadline is July 1st 2012!

Canyoneering gear giveaway rules:
    1. Canyoneers may complete as many Accident/Near Miss/Epic questionnaires as they like…please only submit incidents you witnessed or were involved in.
    2. Surveys must be completed to be considered an entry.
    3. Deadline for Survey completion is 11:59 PM July 1st 2012.
    4. A random list of winners will be drawn from all entries. The first person selected will have their choice of any of the prizes. Second person selected will have their choice of any of the remaining prizes and so on til all prizes are awarded.
    5. Only one prize per person.
    6. Your chances of winning increase with the number of surveys completed.
    7. Names will remain confidential…they will not be included in the Accident/Near Miss/Epic database

Thanks for helping to build this data base and for providing insights into canyoneering accidents!

More canyon gear to give away...a one quart nalgene bottle donated...keep those accident reports coming!

sk

Another donation for the giveaway here in a few months,,,a first aid kit!

Our friends from Petzl have just donated an Elios helmet as a prize for the Accident Database gear give away...a little more than a month to get those submissions in! Go to:

sk

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    My left foot, slipped off a wall once, in HDH, I decided to never rest again in a mae west canyon.

Judging by the various accident reports I've read right here on Bogley, there should be some doozies submitted for this!

Hope everyone has a safe weekend out in the canyons!

SK

One last reminder! The contest deadline for the accident database is coming up…July 1st 12 midnight to be exact. We’ll of course continue to accept accident reports after that time but if you want to possibly win one of the great prizes we’ve collected (see below) you need to submit by July 1st. Here are the prizes again:

• 1 Petzl Elios Helmet
    • 2 pairs of Five Ten Canyoneers
    • a 12 X 18 Canyon photo from jacobbodenphotography.com
    • a one year subscription to ajroadtrips.com
    • An Imlay Canyon Kolob Pack
    • 4 Rock Exotica Pirate Locking Carabiners
    • a one year subscription to Climb-Utah.com
    • A stealth black Totem device
    • An Imlay Canyon 9.2 mm x 200 foot Canyonero rope
    • A copy of Dave Black’s Canyoneering: A guide to Techniques for Wet and Dry Canyons Book
    • 2 outdoor sticker packs with stickers from 5.10. Marmot, Outdoor Research, Mammut, PMI, Go Lite, Sierra Designs, Rock Exotica, Blue Water, NRS, La Sportiva, Kavu, Princeton Tec, Black Diamond, Scarpa, Sterling Rope, Osprey, Edelrid, Big Agnes, Omega Pacific, Dakine and Petzl
    • 1 Outdoor sticker pack with stickers from Mammut, North Face, SMC, Kuhl, Chaco, Osprey, Patagonia, Omega Pacific, MSR, Rock Exotica, C.A.M.P., Maxim Ropes, Salewa and Petzl

So head to
    To get your report in.

Again special thanks to all the sponsors of this project! I’m off in a few days for a weeklong climbing trip in the Tetons. Upon my return I’ll start pulling names out of a hat and contacting our contest winners. Look for the database to be fully operational and in place Mid September.

In case you missed previous e-mails regarding the Accident Database read the following:

We’re developing a Canyoneering Accident/Near Miss/Epic Database. Information collected will be made available to the public for free. Our goal of the project is to educate and encourage safe canyoneering practice. The data base will include synopses and analysis of accidents/near misses/epics; group member’s names will not be included so don’t be shy about reporting your mishaps. In addition all the reports will be combed to identify key elements or themes that are precursors to accidents/near misses/epics.

Thanks to the many canyoneers who have provided excellent input the last few months in developing the survey…though certainly not perfect we hope it will be a great start. The survey will take some time depending on the details of your incident…perhaps 20 minutes. Feel free to submit information on as many incidents as you’ve experienced.
    Deadline is July 1st 2012!

Canyoneering gear giveaway rules:

1. Canyoneers may complete as many Accident/Near Miss/Epic questionnaires as they like…please only submit incidents you witnessed or were involved in.
    2. Surveys must be completed to be considered an entry.
    3. Deadline for Survey completion is 11:59 PM July 1st 2012.
    4. A random list of winners will be drawn from all entries. The first person selected will have their choice of any of the prizes. Second person selected will have their choice of any of the remaining prizes and so on til all prizes are awarded.
    5. Only one prize per person.
    6. Your chances of winning increases with the number of surveys completed.
    7. Names will remain confidential…they will not be included in the Accident/Near Miss/Epic database