Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: La Sportiva Xplorer

La Sportiva Xplorer

If I understand things correctly this is La Sportiva's replacement for the discontinued Exum River.

[QUOTE]XPLORER
    An all synthetic upper eliminates stretch and repels water while keeping the weight down. The Overwrap™ rand construction technology addresses edge roll issues by encapsulating the midsole in the rand construction, which lets you comfortably stand on smaller edges. The Vibram
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I predict those little candyass shoelace strappy thinggies at the top will be toast after one hard day of mae west canyons.

I can't tell if the stitching is recessed into the rubber. It doesn't appear to be from the pictures but I'm not certain. Anyhoo.... if the stitchings not recessed those shoes will be great beech combers, but not much use in a CP slot canyon outside of Zion.

YMMV

I got in my shipment of Xplorers yesterday. They look very good. I originally didn't order them at the Summer O.R. show because of the 2 top spaghetti lace strings at the top, but they must've been listening to the comments. They have put 2 eyelets in and the spaghetti lace is just cosmetic. Looks like the shoe might be a winner. Anxious to give'em a try!

So the shoe pictured is of the O.R. show type and the actual production has been modified?

What about the exposed stitiching?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    So the shoe pictured is of the O.R. show type and the actual production has been modified?

What about the exposed stitiching?
    Yes...the picture shown is pre-production. The stitching around the shoe is exposed. It may become an issue in tight canyons? I suspect some seam grip application might stem the inevitable wear? We'll just have to wait for some reviews of users. I tried on a pair and they fit better than the Exums (Ridge,Pro and Rivers) and the reviews I've seen suggest that it is the stickiest rubber of any shoe out there? I'm hoping that the shoe performs well in all environments. I did order and will have the Adidas Canyon Boot and still stock the 5.10 Canyoneers for those other foot shapes and user needs. The Adidas Terrex Solo, and 5.10 Savant still seem to be a pretty good crossover shoes as well.

Any update on these? It has been a few months and hopefully they have seen plenty of canyon time on several pairs of feet.

yes, there were posts in another thread about canyon shoes - a quick search otta find 'em.

Bo-Beck,

Thank you for posting that thread. Not sure why it did not pop up in my original search. Sounds like you really like the Xplorer. Do you use the Canyoneers/SAR at all?

I have one pair of Canyoneers, one pair of SARs and a pair of the Xplorers coming to my house so I can try them all an see what I like.

A store had the Yellow 5.10s in size 10 and 11. One too small, one to big. Hopefully the 10.5 will be perfect, but it could be that I just cannot wear the shoe based on fit. The Xplorer in 44.5 feels like it was custom made, but want to do a side by side comparison before I commit.

Quote Originally Posted by tcmault View Post
    Bo-Beck,

Thank you for posting that thread. Not sure why it did not pop up in my original search. Sounds like you really like the Xplorer. Do you use the Canyoneers/SAR at all?

I have one pair of Canyoneers, one pair of SARs and a pair of the Xplorers coming to my house so I can try them all an see what I like.

A store had the Yellow 5.10s in size 10 and 11. One too small, one to big. Hopefully the 10.5 will be perfect, but it could be that I just cannot wear the shoe based on fit. The Xplorer in 44.5 feels like it was custom made, but want to do a side by side comparison before I commit.
    No problem! "Deathcricket" just was in and bought a pair of the Xplorers, so it will be nice to hear how he likes (or not) them after his Birch Hollow hike this weekend. I too will post further about how I like mine after my Kolob Creek hike this weekend? After my Subway hike last weekend I cleaned my Xplorers, dried them and applied Seamgrip to all the threads to extend their durability? I'm wearing them at work right now and they feel as good as the first day I put them on. I also used them all day in Zion for SAR training last sunday and they were super comfy! I tell you....I'm really likin' 'em!

13. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    Thanks for helping me out Bo! Always a pleasure to stop by your shop.

Quote Originally Posted by tcmault View Post
    Bo-Beck,

If anyone is curious, haven't even tried out these new ones, but I can vouch for the last La Sportiva shoes I had. Can't even recall what version they were. But I had these for 4 years and the tread wore out before the shoes did! Had to go through a couple pairs of laces, but I think that's to be expected with the abuse we put them through.

I also own a pair of Canyoneers and the thing you might not notice until you walk 10 miles in them is they aren't comfortable at all. Walking downhill, they will slam your toes so many times, your toenails will turn black and fall off. The shoes themselves have zero padding and your arches will hurt. My friend's buckles broke and now he just has to toss the whole shoe away. I was initially interested in the ankle support but there really isn't any more than a normal shoe. IMO this is not a fair tradeoff for excellent drainage and super sticky soles. Stuff that isn't immediately obvious until you get deep "in it".

Here's a pic of the old ones after 4 years! Granted I only cruz out once a month but they held up better than anything else I have found. And i wear them the most often because they are super comfortable. How many of these types of shoes outlast the tread????? They will now be "retired" as mowing the lawn shoes.
    Name:  PC110001.jpg
Views: 2879
Size:  66.4 KBName:  PC110007.jpg
Views: 2033
Size:  120.8 KBName:  PC110008.jpg
Views: 2500
Size:  185.4 KB
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    If anyone is curious, haven't even tried out these new ones, but I can vouch for the last La Sportiva shoes I had. Can't even recall what version they were. But I had these for 4 years and the tread wore out before the shoes did!
    this is the exum ridge (a fantastic shoe but gets eaten up in the skinnies)

Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    this is the exum ridge (a fantastic shoe but gets eaten up in the skinnies)
    Actually Stefan..these are the "Exum-Pro" shoe....Sort of the 3rd generation of the Exums. First was the "Ridge" then came along the "River" and then sort of the morph. "Pro". I preferred the "Ridge", but it's shortcoming for all purpose was durability of the sidewalls. I found the rubber of the "River" and "Pro" not as sticky as the original "Ridge". The rubber on the new Xplorer seems a lot stickier than any of the predecessors "Ridge,River, and Pro". We'll just have to see how the durability issue unfolds? So far my Xplorers are holding up just "peachily"!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    Actually Stefan..these are the "Exum-Pro" shoe....Sort of the 3rd generation of the Exums. First was the "Ridge" then came along the "River" and then sort of the morph. "Pro". I preferred the "Ridge", but it's shortcoming for all purpose was durability of the sidewalls. I found the rubber of the "River" and "Pro" not as sticky as the original "Ridge". The rubber on the new Xplorer seems a lot stickier than any of the predecessors "Ridge,River, and Pro". We'll just have to see how the durability issue unfolds? So far my Xplorers are holding up just "peachily"!
    ahh right. i was confusing them with the gray version of the ridge. thanks, bo

i still think my favorite shoe is the Exum River that they don't make any more. I loved those shoes. I will agree that sportiva has weak soles. they wear out pretty quick but besides that i love them.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

I too really liked the Exum Rivers. In fact I have two pair with almost new tread on the bottom. However, it seems the rubber has dried out. It is actually HARD. I mean slick as heck hard. I just cannot trust that they grip anything. Sliding is possible on my hardwood floors.

That is why I looking at a replacement.

I loved my Exum Pros as well. Still have them but they are covered in Shoe Goo on the sides thanks to the skinnies. Now I went to the Boulder X, which I think might be even better. They have more rubber around the the sides that goes up pretty high. I was a little worried that the leather would not be good when wet, but that is not an issue at all.

Lucky for my by buddy bought and pair and they are two small for his feet. I wear a size just smaller than his foot so i will be getting a pair of explorers for free. i'll have to try them out compared to my Savants.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Oh man! Took these through Englestead/Orderville/Narrows yesterday and they are amazing! Hands down the best friggin pair of canyoneering shoes I have owned. My only complaint is they don't have rockets on them so I can fast forward to the best parts of the canyon! They drain awesome, they stick like mad, no rubbing/blisters on a brand new pair, held up great, etc, etc.

Flawless! Stop reading this, go to Bo's shop and buy some right now! Go! I said stop reading!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.