Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rope stolen in the Roost 3/24

Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    How would you feel if you lowered your canyoneering partner 300 feet to the bottom of the last rap in Heaps to discover that some fellow citizen removed your stashed 300 ft rope?
    Tom, didn't that happen to someone we know? I seem to dimly recall...

They ended up having to pass the knot and leave their two 60m ropes tied together?

Ahh...who was that? Few years ago.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by bbrim55 View Post
    Wow! I'm new to Bogley but this became a big deal really fast. My buddy and I drove down friday night and camped at the top of the mesa where the moki exit puts out. We started hiking the road to the trailhead just after 9 and at no time saw another vehicle or any sign of other canyoneers. We descended the canyon in just under five hours and followed a group of three footprints the entire time. When we got to the Moki exit our perception was that someone, whoever descended the canyon previous to us, had left a rope. Following canyon etiquette we cleaned it, as we have been doing throughout Utah for years. Again, at this time we had to indication of any other people in the area at the time.

I'm sorry our actions were interpreted as theft and we would be happy to return the gear to its rightful owner. Feel free to message me.

Next time, please don't jump to conclusions. The beauty of this site is that we can resolve these issues. Also, when attaching a rope to ascend it helps if its not a dynamic one. Lastly, if no one in your group is capable of an exposed 5.4 move and the alternative is having to spend the night trapped it would be wiser to plan canyons where such skills are not required.
    Bogley. It's a beautiful thing. And here we thought you guys were dirt bags, err I mean diligent environmentalists.

Ken

If Hinterstosser was alive today, what would he say?

Anyway, I can see both sides of the issue. I have left a rope at that exit before and we didn't leave a note. If I do it again, I guess I would.

The route is probably only used by canyoneers doing the Mind Benders.
    South Fork too and South Fork and out Moki exit is usually more than a one day trip.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Tom, didn't that happen to someone we know? I seem to dimly recall...

They ended up having to pass the knot and leave their two 60m ropes tied together?

Ahh...who was that? Few years ago.
    Bonnie Davis. Went back 2 weeks later to retrieve it... "epic".

If someone walked off with my rope there, I would consider it unfortunate, but not theft until proven so. I'd keep a backup 300'er in the car so we could complete the canyon and retrieve ropes, though it might take a while!

Tom

Yeah! A happy ending!
    Darin

What a shame it has to be over and so close to page 4.........

Life is Good

8. Likes mattandersao liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    What a shame it has to be over and so close to page 4....
    Well! Can you BeLEEve how long it took for the thieves to fess up to their crimery? Let's beat on that for awhile, eh?

10. Likes mattandersao liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    Well! Can you BeLEEve how long it took for the thieves to fess up to their crimery? Let's beat on that for awhile, eh?
    I calculated the time it took for the culprits (posted yesterday at 6:27 pm) to respond to Canyondevil (posted 8:55 am) and that adds up to 9 HOURS AND 32 MINUTES before they fessed up to their dastardly deed! I'm pretty sure, according to a legal book I read once, that anything over 6 hours is prosecutabable by a law I read about in another book. Embarrassing to the community really... Imagine what climbers must be saying about us now...
    - Gavin

12. Likes hank moon liked this post
    Wow! I'm new to Bogley but this became a big deal really fast. My buddy and I drove down friday night and camped at the top of the mesa where the moki exit puts out. We started hiking the road to the trailhead just after 9 and at no time saw another vehicle or any sign of other canyoneers. We descended the canyon in just under five hours and followed a group of three footprints the entire time. When we got to the Moki exit our perception was that someone, whoever descended the canyon previous to us, had left a rope. Following canyon etiquette we cleaned it, as we have been doing throughout Utah for years. Again, at this time we had to indication of any other people in the area at the time.

I'm sorry our actions were interpreted as theft and we would be happy to return the gear to its rightful owner. Feel free to message me.

Next time, please don't jump to conclusions. The beauty of this site is that we can resolve these issues. Also, when attaching a rope to ascend it helps if its not a dynamic one. Lastly, if no one in your group is capable of an exposed 5.4 move and the alternative is having to spend the night trapped it would be wiser to plan canyons where such skills are not required.
    It's amazing the amount of trouble we go to around here to get folks to step up and make that first post.

Welcome to Bogley.

14. Likes hank moon liked this post

Welcome to Bogley and that is some epic PWNAGE for a 1st post.

You rock! Hope you stick around man.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

What a shame it has to be over and so close to page 4.........
    I'll do my part to get this to page 4...
    Besides, only one part of the mystery has been solved. We know who took Devil's rope, but we still don't have an answer for the other rope that was coiled there at the top of that climb-out. Whose is it and why was it left there?

Clock is ticking...

17. Likes spinesnaper liked this post
    And...is it still there and who's gonna snag it?

Geez, wonder if its a dynamic rope? Ooooohhh, bouncy bouncy!

Maybe someone will use it for a rope swing off a nearby arch...

Ha ha...

tic toc tic toc !!!! sorry couldn't help it rofl

Oh and ya what DC said welcome to Bogley

The take home lesson is tag your rope and just in case that doesn't work, set up a hidden game trail camera so you have incriminating video to post on Bogley.

Ken

21. Likes bowjunkie liked this post
    This board is better than Cops! Bogley SVU!!!!
    Life is Good

23. Likes mattandersao liked this post
    IF I were the thieves, now that I know the identity of that nutjob who left the rope out in the middle of a sand waste, i'd sue him for littering, waste removal services, and protecting a canyon exit with a climbing rope. Hey, Maybe they could use a law-man?

IF I were the thieves, now that I know the identity of that nutjob who left the rope out in the middle of a sand waste, i'd sue him for littering, waste removal services, and protecting a canyon exit with a climbing rope. Hey, Maybe they could use a law-man?
    Yes, you need one. It is ROBBER'S Roost after all. Probably ought to pack heat on your harness.

Life is Good

Probably the greatest thread I have ever read through.
    "Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible" --Reinhold Messner

28. Likes mattandersao liked this post
    Yes, you need one. It is ROBBER'S Roost after all. Probably ought to pack heat on your harness.

All the more reason to have a "rope gun" on your canyoneering team. :-)
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

30. Likes msmnificent, hank moon liked this post