Thread: Behind the Rocks

Behind the Rocks

I'm gearing up for another long hike across a chunk of Utah. This time I'm going to end up in Moab and would like to have the final day or so to be roaming through the Behind the Rocks area.

Does anybody have any knowledge of hiking through the area south of the Rock of Ages route?

I will be coming over from Pritchett Arch and would love to cut south of the major rocks over to the Moab Rim area. It looks like a few routes might be possible via Topo and Google Earth. But... I realize it's just downright foolish to think that I can do any serious planning for this region based on those tools!

If all else fails I will just head down Pritchett Canyon to the road -- but would love to end with a cool finale if possible.

Thanks,
    - Jamal

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

keep gettign errors when i try to upload a map for you. oh well...

and it has been more than a decade but either the narrower valley south of pt. 4705AT, or the wider one north of pt. 5357T goes all the way to the moab rim if i recall correctly. both can be accessed from the roa start point.
    signature

4. Likes Jammer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by goofball View Post
    keep gettign errors when i try to upload a map for you. oh well...

and it has been more than a decade but either the narrower valley south of pt. 4705AT, or the wider one north of pt. 5357T goes all the way to the moab rim if i recall correctly. both can be accessed from the roa start point.
    Thanks! Those are the drainages I was eyeballing and hoping that one would go through. I'm anxious to explore this area -- just hope I don't end up like a mouse in a maze.

- Jamal

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
    Thanks! Those are the drainages I was eyeballing and hoping that one would go through. I'm anxious to explore this area -- just hope I don't end up like a mouse in a maze.

- Jamal
    np.

its really not too bad back in there, it either goes or it doesn't. water is the real issue, and having to search to (hopefully) find a source. we based once we find a good pothole to draw from, and saw 2 or 3 others up on fins as we wandered that bottles would have to be lowered into to draw from. that wider north canyon i am certain went all the way to the rim, but we then backtracked so i am unsure if there is an exit off right down into hidden valley. unless you have enough rope to rap, then np. pets on south facing wall in this one. the narrower south canyon i know we went up but i cannot recall any details. but i got it marked on my map so we must have.

don't know exactly what your plans are but the plateau between hunter and pritchett is pretty cool as well. fantastic views, artifacts, and we saw one area where the petrified trees were layed out as if they had just fallen over completely intact, 3 or 4 of them.

enjoy !
    signature