Thread: Shuttle System Resumes Operation in Zion

Shuttle System Resumes Operation in Zion

Date: March 20, 2012

The Zion National Park Transportation System will begin shuttle operations on Sunday, April 1, 2012 and provide daily service through Sunday, October 28, 2012. This marks the thirteenth year of operation for the shuttle system in Zion National Park and Springdale, Utah. The shuttle system is supported by park entrance fees and all shuttles are fare-free. Parks Transportation, Inc., a subsidiary of McDonald Transit of Fort Worth, Texas, operates the shuttle service.

The shuttle system services nine shuttle stops in the town of Springdale and nine shuttle stops inside the park. The Zion Canyon Shuttle provides improved access to points of interest, trailheads, the Zion Canyon Scenic Drive, and facilities such as the Zion Lodge and Zion Human History Museum. While the shuttle system is in operation, the Zion Canyon Scenic Drive is closed to private vehicles. Confirmed guests at the Zion Lodge may drive to the lodge, but cannot travel past the lodge or make any stops along the way. All other roads in the park are open to private vehicles, including the Zion-Mount Carmel Highway which connects to State Route 9 at the south and east entrances of the park.

This spring, daily shuttle operations begin with a shuttle departing from the Majestic View Shuttle Stop in Springdale at 6:40 am. Shuttle service in Zion Canyon starts at 7:00 am from the Zion Canyon Visitor Center Shuttle Stop. The last shuttle traveling up canyon from the visitor center will depart at 8:45 pm and the last shuttle traveling into town will depart from the Zion Canyon Theatre Shuttle Stop at 8:45 pm. Hours of operation will expand starting Sunday, May 20, 2012. Shuttles depart from designated stops every seven to ten minutes during the middle of the day and approximately every 15 to 30 minutes in the early morning and late evening.

Visitors are encouraged to park in designated parking areas in Springdale and ride the Springdale Shuttle to the park's Pedestrian Entrance. Visitors can board the Zion Canyon Shuttle at the Zion Canyon Visitor Center Shuttle Stop. Open daily, the Zion Canyon Visitor Center offers park information, backcountry permits, reservations for the Zion Lodge, and a bookstore which sells maps, books, and other items that may enhance a visit to the park.

For additional information, visit the park's website at www.nps.gov/zion or call 435-772-3256.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It seems kinda odd they would begin service on a Sunday, which isn't normally a big day inside the park. If actual cost effective planning was involved it seems like moving it up a day to Saturday or back a week to Friday would make more sense.

But what the hell do I know, I don't work for the government. I have a real job where I have to make choices based on actual cause and effect...

Hmmm, that makes me wonder if there are any possibilities to travel inside the park even earlier. What if you wanna see sunrise from the top of Angels Landing Point? Or sunrise from Observation Point (if choosing the route from Weeping Rock)? Any tips or ideas?

In the past there was a shuttle that leaves at some ungodly hour in the morning for those so inclined. I'm thinking it might be part of the summer schedule.

Otherwise.... Stop by the backcountry desk and tell them your plans. The backcountry desk can issue you a "red permit" that will let you drive into the canyon if they deem your adventure worthy.

I think that shuttle system is the best thing they ever did. I love taking it up to the Temple and then coasting on my bike all the way down in that wonderful silence. Do it late in the day, just before sunset...Wonderful!!! Man, it sure was a mess before they brought those in.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I think that shuttle system is the best thing they ever did.
    x2

The canyon was a train wreak before the shuttle, lots of pollution, noise and no parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I think that shuttle system is the best thing they ever did.
    x2

The canyon was a train wreak before the shuttle, loss of pollution, noise and no parking.
    x3

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    x2

The canyon was a train wreck before the shuttle, lots of pollution, noise and no parking.
    And it is usually a train wreck the last few days before the shuttle starts, which I always thought was a clever way to remind us how valuable the shuttle is!!! Super nice weather down in Zion this weekend -- it's gonna be rough!

Tom

Otherwise.... Stop by the backcountry desk and tell them your plans. The backcountry desk can issue you a "red permit" that will let you drive into the canyon if they deem your adventure worthy.
    A late reaction, but thanks for the ideas, I'll try this option!
    I hope they don't make me hike from the parking at the visitors centre to the trailhead.....

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

The selection of adventures they consider worthy are quite small.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by maarten.1975 View Post
    Hmmm, that makes me wonder if there are any possibilities to travel inside the park even earlier. What if you wanna see sunrise from the top of Angels Landing Point? Or sunrise from Observation Point (if choosing the route from Weeping Rock)? Any tips or ideas?
    There is a back route into Observation point, and you can park outside the park. Just past that Ponderosa campground. I've seen the sun rise from there but it's not the best view actually. There are some killer ones up on the checkerboard mesa though.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    There are some killer ones up on the checkerboard mesa though.
    Knowing I'm getting off-topic again, may I still ask for a hint on this one...??