Thread: Anybody Going To See Kurt Cameron's

Anybody Going To See Kurt Cameron's

MONUMENTAL: In Search of America

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yeah, I'll check it out as long as he stays away from the anti-christ nonsense.

Purely a statement about Cameron.......the guy is turning into a nut job. That said, he is honest about his convictions and actually seems to live by them. Gotta applaud that.

Robot

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Yeah, I'll check it out as long as he stays away from the anti-christ nonsense.
    Quite the opposite. If I knew nothing about this documentary, just by your robot's remark, I'd go check it out

Quote Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post
    Purely a statement about Cameron.......the guy is turning into a nut job. That said, he is honest about his convictions and actually seems to live by them. Gotta applaud that.
    Are you stalking me
    Turning into a nut-job? Why, because he's straying from the Hollywood norm God forbid someone believes in Christianity. That's not PC, it's all about Muslims

Nothing wrong with living by his Christian beliefs. Doesn't make him a nut-job.

Phil, what do you make of that largest granite monument in America? The Forefather's Monument? I lived in Connecticut for forty-one years and I never heard or knew of this monuments existence. And I've traveled into Massachusetts countless times. My next trip back, it will be on my lists of places to visit and photograph.

No stalking....I have been following Kirk Cameron's efforts since 2009 when he rewrote the introduction to "Origin of Species" and distributed them on campuses across the country. I don't interpret his actions as representative of christianity but of a resurgence in christian fundamentalism.

I don't pay much attention to monuments or such artifices. They are often simplified versions of historical events that represent the ideology of the creator more than those represented in the art. In this case, Cameron is retelling the history of America through the modern understanding of pilgrim ideology. The monument is a metaphor to anchor his story. More explicitly, he is tagging along with Dr. Foster and Ray Comfort in trying to redefine the role of christianity in american government. Its interesting that few within the fundamentalist-wing of christianity are willing to call them activist. He is tied in with the production of movies with the Christian Broadcasting Network which has gone well beyond mainstream christianity and often represents the bigoted worldview (often more based in hate than christian love) of a few of its celebrity spokespeople.

I am all for people pursuing their convictions. But I am also willing to call him a nut-job because he is pursuing, through the well-credited guidance of the aforementioned ideaologues, an extremist interpretation of his religion and American history. His agenda intersects with my views in a major way......unfortunately they are mutually exclusive.

Phillip

I don't pay much attention to monuments or such artifices. They are often simplified versions of historical events that represent the ideology of the creator more than those represented in the art.

I am all for people pursuing their convictions.
    extremist interpretation of his religion and American history. His agenda intersects with my views in a major way......unfortunately they are mutually exclusive
    Out of curiosity, why do you think the pilgrims left England? It was all about religion, hence the reason chose to settle here. It was the only place they could have gone, having their religious beliefs, their language and values to begin a new.

The monuments that the Free Masons constructed were not chose for there artistic values, it was for meaning and principles that they believe in, moreover religion. The Mason's roots derive from religion. Equality being one of their traits as seen in everything they have built to date. It's funny how people think this country wasn't found on christian beliefs, but it's written in stone in more places than people can imagine. Either by writing, scripture or symbolism.

Atheist are you

Agnostic.

There is no doubt that there were christian's amongst the "founders" but they weren't the only perspective represented. Our country was, and still is, a hodgepodge of communities influenced by diverse beliefs and world views. We had cities and states formed purely for colonialist/entrepreneurial reasons. Rhode Island was primarily formed because Williams challenged the religious dominance of one sect in Massachusetts. The evidence you mention does exist but it doesn't prove much other than christians existed in the new world. Its fair to say that anyone in power enjoyed building monuments to their traditions, or the romanticized perception of them.

I assume you know....the pilgrims were only one group of many to colonize the region. They weren't the first or even the most successful. The dutch, french and spanish were here at least 60 years before the pilgrims landed in NE. The protestantism of the puritans likely has more influence on modern american christianity than the pilgrims who practiced a completely different interpretation of the religious tradition. The puritans numbered 2x1 compared to pilgrims at landing and they than exploded by an additional 2000.

And how this related back to the movie and Cameron:

I am all for embracing one's traditions and celebrating personal beliefs. Where I draw the line is rewriting history to say it is "The" belief. I disagree with the modern revamping of the historical and extremely secular "american exceptionalism" into some mutation of the "city on the hill" (which is puritan not pilgrim). Cameron and ilk do a disservice to everyone by claiming to know the spirit of some fictional, cohesive "America" that has been durable throughout history until modernity.

Phillip

The evidence you mention does exist but it doesn't prove much other than christians existed in the new world

The protestantism of the puritans likely has more influence on modern american christianity than the pilgrims who practiced a completely different interpretation of the religious tradition. The puritans numbered 2x1 compared to pilgrims at landing and they than exploded by an additional 2000.
    And how this related back to the movie and Cameron:
    to everyone by claiming to know the spirit of some fictional, cohesive "America" that has been durable throughout history until modernity.
    And you proved it how?
    It all came down to the Church of England trying to unite all under one church. And the ones that fled left to start a new. Pilgrims, Puritans, Anglicans...Christians. And of course they had differences, just as they had differences under the Church of England, but they still had their beliefs in God.
    Well, go see the movie on Tuesday
    I guess that's just the Agnostic in you.

Definitely not gonna see the movie. I have no interest in giving my money to Cameron, Comfort or their outlet Pyro Pictures my money. Actually quite proud its not even showing in Cedar. Heck, only 5 theaters are carrying it after its live event.

Phillip

Got one playing it nearby on Tuesday, looking like a go.

I'm not a Christian. You may as well ask me to believe in Santa or the Tooth Fairy. I'm not an Atheist, or Agnostic...I line up with nothing but myself. I don't believe anyone alive today or that has ever walked this earth knows any more about the hereafter than I do, and I don't know jack shit. I will say this though, I really like Christians. I think they're great...kind, giving, generous, safe and sound. I see it everyday. When I'm working and someone walks by and says "Hi, how are you today?" Or when you get the courtesy nod from the other driver when you want to make a left turn. In my mind I think politeness, Christians...I also believe this country was founded on Christian values, and I'm glad for it.

Sure, some can be a bit self righteous and pushy, but that annoying bit is insignificant compared to the trustworthyness they bring. I'll go see the movie, and then come back here with a review.