Thread: Rappelling Accident

Rappelling Accident

was a little surprised that no mention of the local rappelling accident has been made on the group site(s). Some peculiar circumstances (3 am??) and some horrendus injuries.
    were you involved at all in this? is there something that can be shared, as far as the technical aspects of the accident, or things that we can learn from it?
    http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53...riday.html.csp

In response to an e-mail question from Rick.

Hi Rick,
    I don't know a whole lot except that apparently kids get a kick by going out in the wee morning hours to rappel at Cougar Cliff. A friend of a friend was with them, and was rappelling by her side when she just couldn't hold any longer and fell 70'. She was flown from the scene via Lifeflight to Las Vegas. A doctor friend of mine said that she crushed 3 vertabrae and pretty much destroyed both legs from the knees down. Another friend came in yesterday and explained that he'd gone to Las Vegas the day before yesterday to visit her, and that she had undergone over 18 hours of surgery. She was sitting up when he visited and she had some feelings in her legs. Apparently she will fly to the midwest somewhere and undergo about 6 months of therapy to learn to walk again and in 1 1/2 to 2 years should be able to actually walk? I'm not involved with Washington County SAR, rather I work with Zion NP SAR. From what my friend said, she was asked if she wanted a conditional belay from the bottom and she declined as supposedly she had experience as a rappelling/climbing guide somewhere? Keep in mind that all of this I'm telling you is 2nd or 3rd hand info. so I'm not too sure how accurate I am? I do know that I'd personally rather be in bed at 3AM!

Bo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot
    I remember doing Englestead and my arm got tired because I was a bit tense. It was nice to know you were above me and Dean Kurtz was below me to keep me safe as always. Keep us updated Bo.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Sad, very sad.

Uh, what Bo posted, not what Tanya posted.

T