Thread: Manti-La-Sal N.F. by Price

Manti-La-Sal N.F. by Price

Hello all, this is my first time at this site. I was referred here from a forum at backpacker. Looks pretty cool. I will be in Utah helping clear some trails for the forrest service in September. We will be working north of Price by Scofield reservoir. I'm looking for suggestions for a 5-7 or 8 mile day hike in the area. I think we'll have one day hike as a group in the area also, but I'm not sure of that. I have one extra day to myself and would like to do a nice day hike before heading back to Illinois. I'm sure the rangers will have some suggestions for me, But any and all thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and happy trails to all. FJ

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Welcome! There are a lot of trails listed on the forest's website (http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/manti...72830&actid=50), but I'm not sure they're terribly popular with hikers.

The only trail that I've hiked in that area that I would recommend to others is the Left Fork of Huntington trail. I hiked it last year in August with my kids, starting from the top and going down the trail a ways, then back up, for a total of about 6.5 miles. It can be done as a thru-hike if you can arrange for a shuttle, which is definitely how I would prefer to hike it. I thought I had a trip report here on Bogley but apparently I never posted one, so here's a link to my photo gallery from that weekend (there's some other stuff mixed in there with the Left Fork hike): https://picasaweb.google.com/Dennis....tterSPonds2011

I guess another hike that would be so-so, if it's not still too warm in September, is the Fish Creek trail. I biked a couple miles of it in August 2010. It's on the treeless north side of the creek, so when it's hot outside it's not terribly fun, and it would probably be much better on foot than on a bike. Plus, it's a lot closer to Scofield than any hikes in the Huntington Canyon/Miller Flat/Joe's Valley area. http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...sh-Creek-Trail
    Blog | FB

Thanks Udink. You've hiked some of my handy work if you been on the Left Fork of the Huntington. I helped install the gabian baskets that line the stream about a mile upstream from the campground. I also helped work on the trail at about the halfway point were it is very narrow and high above the stream. Your the first person I've heard talk about hiking it. It gets a lot of use by fishermen and hunters I'm told. My wife and I hiked it three years ago after my last work project there and we loved it. We camped in the campground at the bottom called Forks of the Huntington I believe, very nice, It was 1st week of October- warm days cool nights. Anyway thanks for the info and I will definitely check out the links. Thanks again and Happy Trails FJ