Thread: Protect your backside in extended Mae West

Protect your backside in extended Mae West

Is there something people use to pad their butt in canyons with extended mae west sections? I am curious if anyone uses some type of padding to cut down on bruising, beyond neoprene for abrasion. If you do use something, what are the drawbacks, if any (such as... less feel/grip to the walls)?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Scuttlebutt and Neoprene Shorts.

In true Mae West canyons, we don't usually wear a harness, so the Scuttlebutt is not effective. I tend to put my harness on before many others as I really like having the Scuttlebutt.

Neoprene Shorts are reasonably popular. Ram likes the "Gold's Gym" ones that hang kinda like basketball shorts. Some people pull them on over their harness, so it will protect that too. I have seen some cut a slit for the belay loop to escape. Buy them large - they don't need to be tight.

http://www.amazon.com/Golds-Gym-Neop.../dp/B003AXOISE

There are other brands. The Valeo ones are particularly lame - avoid at all costs.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by RATAGONIA
    Neoprene Shorts are reasonably popular. Ram likes the "Gold's Gym" ones that hang kinda like basketball shorts. Some people pull them on over their harness, so it will protect that too. I have seen some cut a slit for the belay loop to escape. Buy them large - they don't need to be tight.
    I use a pair of the golds gym shorts from Walmart. Is there some type of volleyball kneepads for your rump that people use?

I use the Gold Gyms shorts also. When I have been out for several days and getting beat up I also have a set of football pads shorts I wear under them. They have hip and tail bone pad. WORK AWESOME!!!! Take them on and off when needed. The motocross industry has a nice set of shorts with lots of pads in them also.

Quote Originally Posted by MOAB MARK
    When I have been out for several days and getting beat up I also have a set of football pads shorts I wear under them. They have hip and tail bone pad. WORK AWESOME!!!! Take them on and off when needed. The motocross industry has a nice set of shorts with lots of pads in them also.
    Is this what you are talking about?
    Name:  Nike-Pro-Combat-Hyperstrong-Hip-Tail-Vis-Mens-Football-Shorts-401934_011_B.jpg&hei=375&wid=500.png
Views: 549
Size:  86.0 KB

Here is another one that is made for figure skaters called Silver Lining:
    Name:  Silver-Lining-pa&#100.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  11.6 KB

How about these, dual purpose!

9. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tcott
    How about these, dual purpose!
    Those look great! I am just a little concerned that after using them for purpose #2, they will be ineffective for purpose #1. Tell me about your experience in using them yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by PG Rob View Post
    Is this what you are talking about?
    Name:  Nike-Pro-Combat-Hyperstrong-Hip-Tail-Vis-Mens-Football-Shorts-401934_011_B.jpg&hei=375&wid=500.png
Views: 549
Size:  86.0 KB
    Those are pretty close to mine. The Pads on mine are a bit bigger but that is the concept. Sure makes it nice when you are beat up. Check these out.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...on-Shorts.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by canyondevil View Post
    Here you go, this would be perfect:

http://www.totallycostumes.com/sbe-7...accessory.html
    ... and so affordable!

Quote Originally Posted by PG Rob View Post
    Is there something people use to pad their butt in canyons with extended mae west sections? I am curious if anyone uses some type of padding to cut down on bruising, beyond neoprene for abrasion. If you do use something, what are the drawbacks, if any (such as... less feel/grip to the walls)?
    For long, extended high stemming, I sometimes put on an old wetsuit with the fore arms and lower legs cut off (3 mil). This protects most of the body quite well. I definitely add knee and elbow pads; extremely important. Long sections of high stemming will quickly turn your knees and elbows (and the backs of your upper arms) to hamburger without protection.

Nat

Quote Originally Posted by Branin View Post
    http://www.fixehardware.com/harness_...tive-vinyl.htm

For those who like the scuttlebutt but aren't wearing a harness.
    Well, that is awesome. Could we have it in basic black? How about in neoprene?
    Tom, do you feel like sewing?

Gold's Gym brand has changed their styling. A side zipper has been added. I sewed mine shut and shoe gooed it so it won't wear out faster than the rest of the short. Also, the sizing is different. I recommend trying them on before buying.

Also, don't forget to change up your canyoning style. When your backside starts getting sore, roll to hip and shoulder on one wall and foot on the other, switch to other hip when the canyon allows, and learn to galumph.

Quote Originally Posted by penmartens View Post

Gold's Gym brand has changed their styling. A side zipper has been added. I sewed mine shut and shoe gooed it so it won't wear out faster than the rest of the short. Also, the sizing is different. I recommend trying them on before buying.

Also, don't forget to change up your canyoning style. When your backside starts getting sore, roll to hip and shoulder on one wall and foot on the other, switch to other hip when the canyon allows, and learn to galumph.
    Unfortunately, sewing this kind of thing usually does not work, but it might be worth a try. I have some RED fabric, but it is kind of heavy... might end up being not so comfortable. Worth a try though...

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by penmartens View Post
    I was going to suggest this too, Tom. You could probably sell a lot of these if you could make them like the original Golds Gym style because the latest version sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by canyondevil View Post
    I was going to suggest this too, Tom. You could probably sell a lot of these if you could make them like the original Golds Gym style because the latest version sucks.
    Price is related to volume. I'm sure ICG can generate the same kind of volume that Golds Gym does...

Tom