Thread: Heading to poison springs

Heading to poison springs

I am going to poison springs next weekend to run through Slideanine and Arsenic canyons. Is there usually water in these canyons? I've read descriptions, but I would love to hear it in real time from real people. Does anyone have a recent conditions report on these canyons, or just tips in general? What are some of your favorite, mostly-dry canyons in the area? We are willing to drive a few miles.

Update: We will also be doing at least two of the 'Hogs' Probably 'Boss-Hog' and 'Razorback.' Maybe all three, if time permits. Any fun stories or tips y'all have acquired from these canyons?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    They hold water more than other canyons in the area, and tend to get really muddy. And they face north, so are colder than many others.

Hard to say what is going on right now though. A fun little triumverate of canyons...

Tom

Thanks Tom. We just recently decided to run through some of the 'Hogs' as well. Looks like a fun little squeeze to me. eh?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    The Hogs stay pretty dry, and have enough clamboring that staying warm is not usually a problem.

The road up to the top has been a problem recently - please let us know how good of shape the road is (some big ruts near the start).

Tom

I like camping in PS canyon itself. Then entering from the drill hole right off the road. It is a nice little hike up the canyon...

PS Canyon is a gem. Rock art, ruins, springs, and generally great camping.

Quote Originally Posted by MPH View Post
    I like camping in PS canyon itself. Then entering from the drill hole right off the road. It is a nice little hike up the canyon...

PS Canyon is a gem. Rock art, ruins, springs, and generally great camping.

That's good to know where to camp! Thanks for the info, I'm so excited to see the rock art and such!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-wild View Post
    That's good to know where to camp! Thanks for the info, I'm so excited to see the rock art and such!
    If you have high clearance...The drive to Dirty Devil has a lot to offer as well.

We didn't make it to poison springs, but we did make a run through Boss-hog. I posted the current conditions on Canditions.com. I think it is supposed to rain soon however, but there you go. The dirt road is only passable with a high clearance vehicle, due to large ruts. We got less than half-way up and made camp. That canyon is so fun! We could not make it to razor-back because one guy in our party is a bit out of shape...We hit shillelagh and Blarney again the next day...again for me...Blarney in and hour and forty-five minutes. I'll be posting a TR as soon as I get the pics sent to me.