Thread: Escalante trip

Escalante trip

I am planning on taking my family and some friends to Escalante area. I need help with the following:

1. Best place to motel in Escalante? I heard good stuff about Prospector Inn, do you have better suggestions?
    2. Places to hike and explore with smaller kids (6-9 years old). I'm planning on doing Calf Creek Hike and Falls, Peek-A-Boo and Spookey. Any other suggestions?
    3. Places to eat in that town?

Thanks guys!
    Alex

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Make sure you hit Devil's Garden. The little ones will love it

Where is that? I only know the Arch's devil's garden. Maybe a url or a link to google map? Thanks man!

I stayed at the Circle D last weekend, I thought it was pretty nice. The restaurant at the hotel isn't bad either. Be sure to hike up Brimstone if you are visiting the Spooky Complex.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Slot Machine, I looked on google and it had some bad reviews:

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?um...ed=0CGMQ4gkwAA

Did you have different experience? Circle D was my original thought since they have web registration, but after reading the reviews I looked at Prospector Inn.

Also, would I need any technical gear(for kids and wives) for Peek-A-Boo or Spookey?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Slot Machine, I looked on google and it had some bad reviews:

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?um...ed=0CGMQ4gkwAA

Did you have different experience? Circle D was my original thought since they have web registration, but after reading the reviews I looked at Prospector Inn.
    Well..... small town experience may not be what people expected. Just sayin', a different standard applies, or you might not find any place up to your standards.

You might bring a 50' piece of rope for belaying the start of Peekaboo - it has a bit of a climbing obstacle.

Tom

Thanks Tom, will do.

We don't have much of standards, my motel choice is always on the cheap (Motel 6). But I read bed bugs and plumbing not working, that would be a concern.

Escalante

Motels: Prospector Inn, OK Place. Myself, I prefer the cabins at Escalante Outfitters. With kids though, a motel may be easier? Boulder has 2.5 great places to eat; Escalante, nothing special. Once again, sometimes we creep back to Escalante Outfitters and have an eve pizza and salad.

Walking/Treks. Escalante Petrified Forest State Park - semi interesting. Devils Garden is on the W side of the HRR, south of Harris Wash Turnoff and north of Dry Fork (where one turns off for Peekaboo and Spooky). I imagine the kids will enjoy both Devils Garden and the slots. I've been in Brimstone many times. It's a bit of walk for kids, or bored adults; personally, if you are visiting the area for the first time, I'd put it off and explore it yourself, and see how you enjoy it . Lower Calf Creek falls is beautiful, but the walk up and back is so so; More fun in my view to go down the slickrock to upper calf creek falls, more remote; you can walk to the falls or go above to pools. There are many other short walks, hikes in the area - I won't list them here. A further option, on your exit, if you are going back N, is to take the Burr Trail and drive to Upper Muley Twist area and walk the kids up to Strike Valley Overlook. Stunning views. You can then cruise through Capitol Reef (many walk options there) on the way back. OR, on the way down, stay in Torrey one nite, do a short walk in Capitol Reef, drive down the Notom Rd, up to "Strike Valley", then on to Boulder, where you could eat, and then on to Escalante.

Excuse me if my drive chart directive is off. You may be from Mars; somewhere other than the Wasatch Front (S Utah, Colorado, AZ, Nev); and your driving, entry/exit options to Escalante may be much different than what I offer.

I'd get a trails illustrated map for the Escalante region. It will have all driving and many hiking routes. The Escalante region - my favorite spring trekking spot, in the whole USofA); and it has some pretty nice tech cyn options too. Oh I wish the GC pond would dip and the route down into Clear Creek and the Cathedral (and then back out) would open.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Well..... small town experience may not be what people expected. Just sayin', a different standard applies, or you might not find any place up to your standards.

Tom
    I agree with Tom, here is a review I posted on Tripadvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ml#UR119729642 (please look at the attached photos)

THAT is how bad a "small town experience" can be. I know that hotel isn't in Escalante, I'm just sharing my perspective.

IMNSHO Tripadvisor is the best place to get info on hotels, Circle D is ranked #1 on their site.

Anyway, when I stayed at the Circle D, I had to change rooms halfway through my stay. Not because anything was wrong, but because I could only book the kitchenette for part of my stay (the other night someone else booked it). I saw NO evidence any kind of bugs.

So, I got to try two of their rooms. They were both clean and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom in the kitchenette room was "big city" nice with all of the amenities. The smaller room I stayed in was nice as well. Robert, the gentleman that mans the front desk, was very friendly and helpful.

We are going back in 2 weeks and plan to stay there again.

Bob
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Thanks Bob, that's exactly the review I was looking forward to. I will give Circle D a shot then.

I was surprised to see a motel (Prospector Inn) doesn't have an online reservation option.

Thanks guys for great help, with Spring Break coming up I was looking for a new fun place to take the kids. We've done all the normal touristy stuff (Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands, Little Wild Horse canyon, Dead Horse, etc). But I never made it down to Escalante, so was up for some exploration.

I have a Honda Pilot, would that be sufficient enough to go on the offroad past hwy 12? I plan on getting new tires for the trip though.

I'm more than happy to help, I ask my share of questions around here.

The Pilot should work well for what you plan to do. Heh, I saw one person driving a compact car down to Hole in the Rock last week. The road is in pretty good shape.

Bob

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    Escalante

Motels: Prospector Inn, OK Place. Myself, I prefer the cabins at Escalante Outfitters. With kids though, a motel may be easier? Boulder has 2.5 great places to eat; Escalante, nothing special. Once again, sometimes we creep back to Escalante Outfitters and have an eve pizza and salad.
    I think the new (ish) restaurant in Escalante is actually pretty good. Can't come up with the name, but it is at the top of the hill on the West end of town, at the turn. Not cheap, but not bad.

In Boulder, Heck's Backbone Grill is good, but kinda pricey... what else is decent there Steve?

Tom

If you're into fishing, a great kids place is the Gar/Kane power plant pond just above Boulder. The power plant is a very small hydro/electric driven by a pipe line that comes down from Boulder top, and really not to bad of an eye sore. I'm not sure if the backside of boulder will be open all the way through, but if it is, it's a killer drive to Escalante, or to Boulder town and then you can still drive down the staircase.

I will be spending a big amount of my summer down there on the Backside of Boulder, as I am poised to draw a Bull Elk tag, for the region.
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

Dining: fine dining $, OK dining, or cafeteria style.

Escalante. Cowboy Blues, W side of town, some OK/good food (mistakenly left it out). N Creek Grill/Slot Cyn Inn, couple miles W of Esc. Fine dining but $$$; some now say they like this better than Hells Backbone? I'm not sure of that. Prospector Rest, long time ago with German chef, it had inventive great food; lately slipped to cafeteria style. Circle D has food. And there are a few other places. As stated earlier, some tasty breakfast and eve options though at Esc Outfitters - eaten there many times.

Boulder. 1. Hells Backbone Grill $$ (need reservation). Our new No. #1 though, Burr Trail Grill (on the corner, just S of HBB Grill). New owners imported tat laden staff from SLC, and eve and morning offerings are well (maybe the best part of ones day - if it's raining); food is inventive, very tasty and they make some wow deserts; the emergence of this place is a real bonus and surprise - semi $$ though. A third shop,; Boulder Mesa Rest, is east 100 yards or so and has basic cafeteria style offering.

Without knowing anothers interests or price allotments, a bit hard to direct. If staying in Escalante though, the traveler CANNOT pass up that drive from Escalante to Boulder, and then once there, a group may? wish to eat. Some will buy/bring their own food and go on the cheap. I understand this. The next time I'm in Escalante area, I'll try out a couple more places, or give them a second chance; but I'll not pass up the Burr Trail Grill, for both a breakfast and dinner outing.

I've ate about every where and those of you who know me can tell. I agree the Burr Trail grill is good, but I will say none of the establishments of the Escalante Boulder area compare with a couple in Bicknell and Torrey. I would definately stop at the Sunglow in Bicknell and at least get their pie sampler for the road, and the Diablo in Torrey's good, but you'll have to take a loan out. I also like Red Rock Pizza (I think that's what they call it) just outside Capital Reef, but Chills in Torey makes killer pizza and burgers and has a game room for the kids. Honestly it may cost you a half hour to 45 min in driving, but the Aquarius motel in Bicknell will be way cheaper each night than anything close to Boulder, or Escalante, and your kids will have an awesome pool to swim in. Also if your going by way of Antimoni the little cafe/general store has also a deep fried assortment of heavenly edible bliss.

Talking about this has made me hungry, my family and I just might have to join you. Don't forget about Loa they got a little dive there as you come in from the north on the west side of the road, it's also good.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk
    "You Sombitch's couldn't close an umbrella"
    Sheriff Beuford T Justice

OK, I am fairly sure that staying at the Circle D qualifies as bivouacking. I can recommend Shannon's Wild West Retreat. There are two houses on the property. I stayed in the two bedroom house. The kitchen was stocked but of course I did not have time to cook up the bacon and eggs in the refrigerator. Room for the kids for sure.

I loved the food at the Burr Trail Grill. Sure they are tattooed up the wazoo (not that I would know) but they can cook and it is not as snooty as the place next door.

Ken

Escalante Trip

I would recommend staying at the Slot Canyon Inn. http://www.slotcanyonsinn.com/ Great service there and they do a great wood fired pizza too. Circle D eatery is a hit and miss. Sometimes its good sometimes its bad. Roll the dice. Spooky now has a bit of a dry fall in it. I agree with Tom, bring a small rope if you can.

Nick

Thanks guys for all the help! I think I have it all organized and excited to head down there.