Thread: shuttles out of fredonia or kanab?

shuttles out of fredonia or kanab?

does anyone know of anyone in either kanab or fredonia that will help with shuttles into the area along the north rim or the grand canyon, like into toroweap, hacks, sowats point, snake canyon?

I'm thinking about doing a trip and would rather do a through hike rather than an out and back.

also if anyone is interested in joining me i am open to suggestions. sometime between april 15 and may 15. 8 to 12 days long.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You might try these guys
    http://www.kayakpowell.com/colorado-...powell-shuttle

I know they do Paria and some GC stuff.

Same with these guys
    End of the Trail Shuttles 928-355-2252

What's the plan? I've hiked all over the lower Kanab area and have always been interested in venturing along the Esplanade towards Tanner and beyond. I might be interested in going with you, we can shuttle my truck. I'm sure you're familiar with George Steck. Thinking about linking up a couple of his routes out there?

thanks @Iceaxe. that helps.

not sure what the plan is exactly. was thnking maybe toroweap to hack canyon or maybe out to sowats point or snake canyon. possibly 12 days. not sure if it will work out or not. right now i have a permit for a float down the lower grand from diamond creek to pearce ferry putting in on april 17 and out on the 22nd. i hope to have time to do a good hike before i go back up to alaska for the summer.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

A Hard shuttle is Good to find.....

Dreamland Safari Tours, my tour company in Kanab, has just canceled it's advertised shuttle service in the Area after trying it for one year and giving less than 5 quotes, only one of which was reluctantly purchased. It simply doesn't work logistically or economically for a variety of reasons, mainly because the willingness to pay of small groups of 1-3 do it yourselfers is lower than what is needed to even cover costs, much less make a profit. Add in the endless array of differential locations...long distances by truck from population centers.....and low numbers to go to any one place at any one time..... Combine that with taking availability away from our guided tours which make money...it simply doesn't work.

A couple of my local competitors claim to still offer the service, but I would be surprised if they can actually make good on it most of the time due to the above reasons. It could be marginally worth it if the tour operators launching point is relatively close to the dropoffs and pickups....but then if it is too close most hikers will hoof or hitch.

A few "shuttles" that we CAN do sometimes on a purely case by case basis provide one-way or two way transportation to the same remote places on different days. It has to be a place we regularly tour or pretty close to it. In other words your shuttle must coincide with already scheduled tours and those tours must have open seats. This could happen at Toroweap or points along Antelope Valley Road, at White Pocket for a backpack of the Paria Plateau, or at various places on our Grand Staircase Tour like Cottonwood/Skutumpah/Johnson Canyon Road. One-way dropoffs or pickups at Wire Pass, or Buckskin Gulch, are also possible. In all these scenarios we can provide an affordable to cheap 4x4 ride that hikers would actually be willing to pay for as the costs are being absorbed by the tour already running to these places.

Denaliguide.....probably your best bet in the long run is to find a pal, as someone here already offered. You solo guys are kind of out of luck on a one way long backpack............unless you make REALLY GOOD friends with local......in which case you may as well bring him along too!