Thread: Technical canyon with dogs

Technical canyon with dogs

My daughter and her friends are planning a canyoneering trip in the Roost area. They are leaning toward Larry Canyon. Then she mentioned they want to take two Labradors with them. From my reading of information I found on Larry, this sounds like a really bad idea (longish canyon, tight, lots of awkward downclimbs, exit climb, etc.). I told my daughter this and offered to take care of the dogs for them.

So, two things:

How bad would it be getting two good sized dogs through Larry?

Are there any technical canyons in the Roost or Swell that would be better for dogs?

(Yes, I know, dogs and technical don't mix, but they seem set on taking the dogs and if I can't dissuade them hopefully I can steer them to a canyon that will make the best of a bad idea.)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

rappeling dogs sounds like a bad idea to me. If they were smaller I'd say just throw them in a dry bag and float them through Heaps... ( http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23494 )but since they are larger I would think it sounds like a very bad idea.
    - Gavin

Larry would be horrible with dogs. There are a couple of raps with very awkward and tight starts that would be a complete mess. One of them starts on a chockstone that you have to squeeze down through a hole to get to, and there is only room for one person. She should choose a canyon that is not as skinny, perhaps Bluejohn.

Besides the problem of harnesses and lower and the rope groove issues that tend to go with lowering, there is also the problem of slot with "V" shaped bottom. There is plenty of it in Larry, same as most canyons. They won't be able to move through it if it is too tight and will have to be carried. If it is wide enough for their paws to hit bottom then they will tear their feet up.

Three things come to mind that make this a bad idea. Obviously, the rappels. They have awkward starts and one is in two stages. Also the downclimbs (especially the dark one into the slanted hallway near the end). Lastly, the exit up the crack. Yikes Maybe they could do a non-technical canyon, like hiking up Leprechaun or the west fork of Bluejohn.

Eh. Just take a couple of these along and you'll be fine

http://www.k9power.com/tactical-inse...utm_term=RLTIS

This sounds like areaway bad idea. I agree with everybody above. Th exit crack would be really really bad for dogs. You would have to haul them up. It is definitely 4 class or low 5th class. They should pick a different canyon. Going on the trip with dog will result in a few things you might have to spend the night in the canyon due to the time it would take to get the dogs through the can, the dog could be seriously injuries or worse and, could result in a person being injuries to worse due to having to managing the dogs in the canyon or at the exit crack. I am sure more people will pipe in. Show this tread to your daughter.

Thanks to all who replied. You confirmed what I strongly suspected, and I will show my daughter and her friends this thread.

As some of you mentioned, Bluejohn may be a good choice. Down East fork, up and out West fork. There may be a few tight spots for the dogs in upper East fork, but the raps should be OK.

I have a feeling they want a more technical canyon, but I can't think of any in the area that would be "dog friendly" - ideally a canyon with easy raps, none or few awkward downclimbs, wide enough for the dogs to walk. Any suggestions?

Sideways slot and sandstone? That'll tear those big dogs' feet up for sure. Bloody frickin' mess.

A classic must read about technical canyoneering with dogs.

A Sh***y Trip in Heaps
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23494

Hmm..., I did Larry with my dog some years ago, no problem I should say that my dog is medium small, about 20-25 pounds. We've rappelled with him many times. We put him in a day pack and sinch it shut around his neck, and then one of us raps with the pack on back or occasionally hanging from the harness. He did fine in Larry, though in the tight V constrictions he struggled a bit. The exit crack was no problem. A Lab could be different issue.

Nat
    nat smale

ideally a canyon with easy raps, none or few awkward downclimbs, wide enough
    for the dogs to walk.
    Maybe Lower Larry?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Thank you for the additional replies. I believe they are going to take one of the easier Robbers Roost Canyon forks.

Shane, that dog story is a good one.

I showed this thread to my wife, because I thought it was funny, and now she has her heart set on taking our terrier through Granary this weekend... Even AFTER reading the story about Heaps.
    "Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible" --Reinhold Messner