Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Pot Shot & Sand Trap Techniques

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by penmartens View Post
    Rob, I think you are correct. The trap in tostada mode might have been just what was needed there. I think the extra area of friction plus being able to dump out the back and sides instead of just the sides would have solved the problem.
    Wellllllllllllllllllllllllll, I think you may have misunderstood the Tostada, at least the way we use it. When rappelling, it is a Tostada, but when being pulled, it changes into a Taco. Otherwise there is no cleaning mechanism.

When looking at narrow slots, it is often best to set up the SandTrap many feet back from the edge. Partly, to give the trap time to clear before getting to the narrow spot. Partly, by the time it gets to the narrow spot the Trap might be flying through the air and go over the top.

Tom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    When rappelling, it is a Tostada, but when being pulled, it changes into a Taco. Otherwise there is no cleaning mechanism.
    This^^^ When you pull to retrieve it, it pulls the back over the top of rest of the trap, folding it and pushing sand out the sides. That, along with having more sand, is why it takes more effort to pull and a further distance to dump.
    Quote Originally Posted by penmartens
    Rob, I think you are correct. The trap in tostada mode might have been just what was needed there. I think the extra area of friction plus being able to dump out the back and sides instead of just the sides would have solved the problem.
    Still from memory... I was suggesting tostada mode for the added friction. After rappelling the drop and ascending the far side of the pothole, you would have a better leveraged position to pull it. Also, it is probably coming over the edge with plenty of sand still along for the ride. That pothole is directly below the ledge and there is not a lot of room down there, so if you pulled it from the bottom you would get a major sand shower.

Tom,
    Congrats on being post 100 and getting us to page 6.
    You are correct in that I might have pictured the tostada differently. If the trap is flat and the pull comes up over the top of the sand, it will turn into a taco.
    What if the pull runs underneath the trap with the recommended groove running the entire length of the tostado? It might become an inside out taco or perhaps just bunch up and stick.
    On the particular drop we are talking about I don't think the trap would become airborne before the pinch, at least, not with me pulling it.

Quote Originally Posted by penmartens View Post
    Tom,
    Congrats on being post 100 and getting us to page 6.
    You are correct in that I might have pictured the tostada differently. If the trap is flat and the pull comes up over the top of the sand, it will turn into a taco.
    What if the pull runs underneath the trap with the recommended groove running the entire length of the tostado? It might become an inside out taco or perhaps just bunch up and stick.
    On the particular drop we are talking about I don't think the trap would become airborne before the pinch, at least, not with me pulling it.
    Hmmm, interesting idea, an inverted release... It might be worth a try, but I think the force required to pull underneath might be too high.

T

Quote Originally Posted by penmartens
    Quote Originally Posted by PG Rob
    After rappelling the drop and ascending the far side of the pothole, you would have a better leveraged position to pull it. Also, it is probably coming over the edge with plenty of sand still along for the ride. That pothole is directly below the ledge and there is not a lot of room down there, so if you pulled it from the bottom you would get a major sand shower.
    It can get over the edge there... you will just not want to be below it.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Hmmm, interesting idea, an inverted release... It might be worth a try, but I think the force required to pull underneath might be too high.
    Tom... What if a 2nd piece of webbing was sewn into the sandtrap, between layers of fabric, and in tostada mode would allow the trap to bunch up down the center, like a gather stitch in sewing?

Quote Originally Posted by PG Rob View Post
    get a major sand shower
    Speaking of sand showers...

Quote Originally Posted by PG Rob View Post
    Tom... What if a 2nd piece of webbing was sewn into the sandtrap, between layers of fabric, and in tostada mode would allow the trap to bunch up down the center, like a gather stitch in sewing?
    The same problem really. Making anything happen underneath 80 lbs of sand will likely prove difficult.

Tom

I know this is an older thread, but I thought I would comment on the placement of the Sandtrap in the 2nd photo. This should have been a "tortilla" setup,ie: Sandtrap flat and rap rope attached only to bottom 2 webbing loops. The "taco" setup only used when behind a definite hanging lip as in potholes. See attached vid for the "tortilla" setup. This is actually a Sandtrap Sandwich, for raps where more sand is required. The pull would be impossible with only one Sandtrap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSsvoRYj8TM