Thread: Westwater

Westwater

Heading out tomorrow for a Westwater to Dewey Bridge run. Haven't been on this section of river in about 3 years. Excited to see the gorge again. Thanks to Alex for posting the low water video from a few years back. This will be the lowest I have seen the gorge; kinda glad its not much lower as I don't want to see Skull rock turn into too narrow a slot (below 2200 ???). Will post some photos and trip report when I return.

We had planned on a lower Owyhee but the weather turned sour; 50F highs and five days of rain doesn't sound like a vacation to me. Hope the flows keep up in that drainage so I can see it early May (not holding my breathe).

Have a great week!

Phillip

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Cool, anxious to see the footage. I'll be there next month with Alex.

Would love to see Westwater in April this year. Should be far less scary than normal. Looking like 3500 cfs to 4000 for our trip. Taking it mellow and camping before the main rapids and then after (after the camping boundary). One more night after that somewhere in the Fish Ford or further range.

Will try and get some shots. Last time I was there I accidentally ran the meat of Skull at 8000 cfs. Hoping to go 3 for 4 on the sneak.

Phillip

Never sleep well the 2 night before a trip....even when I am not worried about my skill or river level. Old habits die hard.

Phillip

What boat will you be running Westwater on?

I have my 14' cataract and my buddy will be running his 12' Avon. My wife, Ariel, is gonna paddle a few rapids in her new IK.

Phillip

I am waiting for a friend to allow me to post some of his photos of our trip.

Quick synopsis:

Upper D Camp was amazing for the first night. We saw one other group launch but they ran the rapids that day. It had been 4 years since I had been in the canyon and I was immediately reminded how spectacular this stretch of the Colorado truly is. We hiked to the waterfall near camp and its was flooding a torrent of brown water.

We ran the rapids Day#2. We got a later start than normal because of some heavy imbibing the night before. The horizon line on Marble Canyon rapid was a major wake up call. I had forgotten how steep the run is compared to others in the region. We had great runs through everything leading into Skull. At the level we saw it was easy enough to float right up to the primary routes until the last second. Dropping into the shoot on Funnel was a blast and filled with some doubt until I saw the runout.

How do larger parties scout Skull? That is a wicked small eddy. The rock in Skull was mostly covered but formed a major pour-over to avoid. There were a few rocks exposed on river left that could prove a challenge. My friend led the charge and made the line despite considering it a poor run. I relaxed too soon after the lateral and ended up further right than desired. I over corrected and bounced off a rock on river left. My wife did a great job and we came out left of Skull despite my mistake. I am now 2 for 4 on the run. Last time I overloaded my boat which turned it into a snow plow instead of cataraft; I missed the pull and lined up for the main hole. We came out fine but my passengers were are little shocked to say the least.

Sock-it-to-Me was a big hit. We came out clean. I let my guard down on Last Chance too soon and spun once. Its an easy enough run at this level but I got lazy.

We ended up camping a few miles below Cisco the second night. It was a great sandbar on river left. Camping in that section is desperate though. If interested plan on camping somewhere between river mile 105-100 depending on river levels. Fish Ford is a carry at current levels.

Phillip

Thanks for the report. I've always wanted to get some footage from the side of Skull, hopefully I can get some in a month. Looking forward to the pics.

Usually folks don't scout Skull. You run into too many problems trying to cross the river to the river bank to avoid the razor rock ( the one you mentioned on the river left). That rock creates the left current, that is why you line up on the river right with your stern pointing at it. That is what you break through during the 3 big pulls you do before Skull.

Skull is pretty much the same run at all levels. Unless you mess up and run the meat.

Alex

The scout on skull is a hard one for me. If we went multiple times a year I would be comfortable not scouting. That said, we have only managed to go every few years and I lose track of the important landmarks. In principle I prefer to scout anything Class IV. That said, the scout really sets you up for a much harder entry and the moves never really change.

Hard call. Skull is becoming my least favorite rapid of any river. Which is ironic because I have always managed to come out right side up and happy. I have better memories of Turtle Rock on the Main Salmon where I had my one flip. I think I dislike it because I never get to really learn from my mistake on it as it always takes years to return. Hoping to return this summer for midweek day trip and nail the line. That would help. No passenger or heavy gear to make me nervous.

Phillip

Westwater is at 2800 cfs right now, almost a grand less than our trip more than 3 weeks ago. Definitely not a normal hydrograph this year.

Look forward to videos of your runs.

Phillip

Enjoy, Sombeech. I am sure we will see some great video from Alex.

Looks like it might be lower than your last trip. Down to 2000 cfs. Those upper drops (and last chance) should be steep and fun.

Didn't bring my camera, so that was lame. I'd say this is my new favorite level. Very technical, especially in Skull. Marble is rocky a few sleepers hiding. Staircase was fun, splashy and still had that left pull you had to watch out for. Big hammer was a nice drop. Funnel was a lot tighter and the right rock is way exposed. Surprise's left rocks were completely exposed.

Skull... now there is a solid class 3 rapid. The regular right to left move is a must to make, very tight and sharp. Razor rock is exposed by about a foot and you have to make your move before the Razor. If you bump the rock you are bounced right back into the current to meet Skull and you want to go right. That's where most of our boats ended up eventually. I had a clean run, didn't touch any rocks at all and after which we sailed into Room of Doom and hang out there for a bit.

Bowling Alley was huge, but easy. Huge wave train. SITM was punchy as always, magnetic wall wasn't much of a problem. Last chance had a huge hole at the bottom, where my boat was way under water..

Great run overall!

Bogley BigShot