Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fun canyons in the swell

fun canyons in the swell

for spring break in April i plan to go canyoneering i was wondering if any one knows of any fun beginner technical canyons by temple mountain ( i have been looking at cable,corral,north iron wash,goblins lair,greasewood,and upper three)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Greasewood is fun and beginner friendly. It does require some route-finding to get in and out of. Water will be Cooooold in April.

Upper Three is fun. If you find Greasewood to be easy, then you will likely enjoy Upper Three as well. It is a little more sporty. If you are a beginner, I would recommend Greasewood first.

Zero G is a good choice for beginners, as long as you don't have any fatties that will get stuck in the crack.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canyoncaver View Post
    Greasewood is fun and beginner friendly. It does require some route-finding to get in and out of. Water will be Cooooold in April.

Upper Three is fun. If you find Greasewood to be easy, then you will likely enjoy Upper Three as well. It is a little more sporty. If you are a beginner, I would recommend Greasewood first.

Zero G is a good choice for beginners, as long as you don't have any fatties that will get stuck in the crack.
    Hmmmmm. Zero G has significant potential for misadventure for beginners, without moderately-experienced leadership. I advise against.

Goblin's lair is currently closed.

I would recommend expanding your horizon. Gooder stuff in North Wash and Robbers Roost.

Tom

Hmmmmm. Every canyon he mentioned has the potential for misadventure. I suppose it's all a matter of perspective.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canyoncaver View Post
    Hmmmmm. Every canyon he mentioned has the potential for misadventure. I suppose it's all a matter of perspective.
    good point take up golf

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    good point take up golf
    http://www.golf.com/ap-news/tiger-wo...c-championship

On second thought, perhaps we all better stay at home?

i have been looking at cable

Thick wetsuits will be required in April. It isn't that difficult, but it isn't very beginner friendly either. I'd recommend a strong team with at least moderate experience for all members.

corral
    It might be OK for beginners, but isn't very close to Temple Mountain. Maybe a two hour drive each way?

north iron wash
    Bring wetsuits, but it might be a good one. Some exposed climbing to get to the anchor, but it really isn't that bad if you are used to canyon scrambling.

goblins lair

Excellent for beginners, but it is closed(?).

greasewood

Not beginner friendly under certain conditions. High elevation means cold water for sure.

upper three
    This one and it's side forks would be a good choice. I'd recommend the exit using the side canyon ("Sneak Canyon" or" Exit Canyon") rather than the one along the river. However, I would leave a short rope/handline before hand at the exit to help people up. Moonshine is also nearby.

I'd also consider Upper Chute/Baptist (get current conditions though; I seem to remember that someone said that there is a new obstacle?), Quandary non direct (there is or was one new semi keeper which isn't that difficult, but it tricks people into trying to exit too early) and maybe Music. Music Canyon is a pretty good one, but the water in the Chute would be cold (last report says there isn't that much water in there right now). Neoprene socks would be a must (canyoneer 5.10's if you have them) and a wetsuit would be a good idea.

Farnsworth/Old Woman makes a nice beginner friendly loop, but it's pretty average as canyons go (though each of the canyons has a short narrow section). Box Spring Canyon is fun, but is very short and cerrtainly not a destination canyon. Ding and Dang are pretty good, but non-technical. Little Wildhorse is great, but non-technical.

North Wash and the Roost aren't that far from Temple Mountain (in fact drive time wise they are closer than places like Corral Canyon). Good beginner (with competent leadership) canyons in the Roost would be North Fork (the climb out can be challenging); East Fork Pasture; and West, Main and East Fork Bluejohn.

Some North Wash and Poison Springs canyons that are OK for beginners (with competent leadership) are Shillelagh Canyon, Blarney, East Fork Lep and Arscenic.

upper three

Upper Three is fun. If you find Greasewood to be easy, then you will likely enjoy Upper Three as well. It is a little more sporty. If you are a beginner,
    I would recommend Greasewood first.
    Are you guys talking about Upper Three or Upper Three Fingers? Upper Three is beginner friendly, but Upper Three Fingers often isn't.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

the thing is im only 17. i was talking about upper three as far as i know. i saw a you tube clip that they claim is upper three also baptist draw is long, last time i did it the group was slow and i had to end up spending a night in the desert. i would love to stay in the swell so we can do some exploring on the 2nd day. any thoughts on lower eardly or twin knolls. i am open to any other fun technical canyons in the swell.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Hmmmmm. Zero G has significant potential for misadventure for beginners, without moderately-experienced leadership. I advise against.
    This X's a lot. The crux isn't easy for any but the mini of minis. Been there a few times, been with beginners a few times and still wasn't easy for them even with a zip line. Gotta agree with Tom 100% on this one.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    This X's a lot. The crux isn't easy for any but the mini of minis. Been there a few times, been with beginners a few times and still wasn't easy for them even with a zip line. Gotta agree with Tom 100% on this one.
    Thanks Scott.

Yeah, Baptist Draw is a good half-day canyon. Seriously. Technically easy. Sometimes has some pools down in Chute that people don't expect. Requires being able to read a map. Has been the scene of numerous misadventures. Because it is tagged as a "beginner" canyon, folks think it requires almost no skills.

Eardley has a nice little section of a couple potholes, but getting into it is kinda a pain, unpleasant...

Mud Canyon is a good hike from Hidden Splendor. Has a little scrambling.

Music is OK. Kinda a longish day, and can have mud madness. Some of the anchors are tricky.

Without a recent conditions report, hard to say how much water is in each of these. All could have swims, or be completely dry.

Tom

i was talking about upper three as far as i know.
    The one in the video upper Three Fingers Canyon (which isn't beginner friendly under certain condtions) rather than upper Three Canyon (which is pretty beginner friendly.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

ok thanks i think i may just do baptist draw, north fork iron wash or corral

so i have been looking at the weather and it seems like it will be high 70 low 80 and it hasn't rained a lot. so i was wondering if there was any canyons that may be dry or not as wet?

It might have snowed today. Did here in Zion, was supposed to in Escalante. I did not check further out.

T

Was in the Roost this weekend and for the most part it was dry. Mindbender had water (and no we didn't take the moki rope!) but Blue John was dry. I suggest Baptist Draw. You could leave ropes on the two rappels and then once you get in the Chute if it is wet then ascend back up and go back out Baptist.

did any one go to the swell over Easter break i would really like to know the current conditions of baptist, cable and north fork of iron.

i would not recommend cable. i feel it is definitely above beginner status. north fork of iron should be good. just did it over a week ago. its a short canyon with a short narrows section that shouldnt be very difficult for beginners. the big keeper hole was completely dry and we were able to free climb out. or you can pack toss out, or you can take the bypass route by stemming above the keeper on good ledges. i think you would definitely enjoy the n fork iron. zero g is def a better choice than cable if you want to step it up just a little bit. have fun out there!!

so we are going to do baptist draw and north fork of iron wash, we were wondering what part of baptist draw is better ( the up chute canyon or down chute canyon )

Down Chute is a bigger bang for the buck.... up Chute makes for a shorter day... Probably the main reason up chute is popular is it makes for a short day for those driving out from Hidden Splendor. You can leave Hidden Splendor in the morning, tag Baptist/up Chute, and still be home at a reasonable hour.

If you want the full meal deal.... down Baptist, a short hike up Chute and than down Chute and out Fault Canyon. the up chute exploration to see all the goodies only adds 30 minutes.

how long does it take to go down canyon?